PDA

View Full Version : Neuralgia

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

sunnywey
Mon, Mar-29-04, 12:23
Has anyone ever had neuralgia?
I'm wondering if it is a Fibromyalgia symptom.
I had very sharp, electric shock type, extruciating pains in my left temple that only lasted a second at a time. If they lasted for 2 seconds, I would have passed out, it was that painful. My Dr. put me on "Tegretol" and the sharp pains have pretty much gone, but I still have an over-all headache. My Dr. said it is a common thing, + he doesn't know what causes it, but after searching the internet, I see a lot of people with Fibromyalgia have had it. These plls make me hold fluid + my brain feels fuzzy. Can't wait to get off of them.

colinjn
Wed, Mar-31-04, 18:54
Tylenol works well for neuro pain ( believe it or not)as does elavil in small ( subclinical) doses. You could also look into magnesium to help relax any muscles that are helping to trigger the pain.

sunnywey
Mon, Apr-05-04, 01:54
Update-
After having a constant headache + neuralgia for 10 days( medication didn't help much) it dissappeared, as strangely as it came.Thank heavens!! I now think altho the "Tegretol" dulled the neuralgia pain - I think it caused the general headache.
Thanks Colinjn - I do take Ibruprophen quite regularly, I think that's the same as Elevil. It doesn't make me tired.

CalpnPat
Mon, Apr-05-04, 07:45
Hi All, I do get those sharp pains you all mentioned, not only in my temples but also all over various parts of the body...they are quick and sharp and sometimes repeat for at least 5 mins. Does anyone else have this?
Tylenol helps if they don't go away or sometimes just simple things like a warm cloth. When I lay down at night on the couch, is when they really start in. I do take cal/mag/zinc/vitD combination which stops alot of the pain.
As far as the headaches, to me they feel like fibro in that area, not a headache per say..its hard to explain...i just call them fibro headaches...rapid weather changes can bring them on or foods with additives.
Help its snowing here uggghghggghghgh!!!