PDA

View Full Version : Calories/low carb foods (chocolate, ice cream, p.b., etc.)

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

bizzymom99
Sat, Mar-27-04, 20:20
CAn anyone tell me whether it's bad to use the low carb foods? I mean they're low carb but some are high calorie. Can you use too much of them? Like the low carb chocolate bars and Atkins bars, I love them. So if I eat 3 of them in a day in addition to my meals, even though it's not many carbs, will that sabotage my diet?

Also, does anyone drink Crystal Lite and have you found this to hinder your weight loss?

I'm fairly new here. One more thing. Can anyone tell me how to post the link to the Fitday diet journal in my signature? Thanks!

Lori

KristyC
Sat, Mar-27-04, 20:39
I would stay away from the low-carb stuff for a while if you are just starting...stick with a "clean" Induction for the first 2 weeks. The bars tend to stall me more than the shakes to. Too many of anything can be bad. ;)

bizzymom99
Sat, Mar-27-04, 20:41
Thanks Kristy, I wondered about that. Also I think my sodium is way too high, I'm SO swollen by the end of the day. I'm gaining instead of losing right now....

LadyBelle
Sat, Mar-27-04, 21:09
If you are eating the low carb chocolate bars, then no wonder you are swolen up. I'm suprised you aren't living in the bathroom!

Most of those Lc products cause stalls in people if they are used too often. Some can handle it, but the majority seem to be unable. Like sugegsted it really is better to do a clean 2 weeks to break those sweet cravings and the need for the bars.

Also check out the recipe sections on here, and recipes online. After induction start adding back in homade treats. That way you know exactly what goes in them, and you don't run the risk of sugar alcohols and hidden carbs.

Replacing high carb junk food with low carb junk food won't get you anywhere. It's like when low fat cookies came out and people would eat an entire box, then wonder why they weren't losing :)

Nancy LC
Sun, Mar-28-04, 09:35
If you're counting calories then just make sure you have the calories for them.

I drink a lot of crystal light. I find it helps me postphone meals.

I'm pretty convinced that lots of us dieters just need to watch calorie consumption. Stalls, IMHO, are generally when you over-consume them or have water-retention or are building muscle faster than you're losing fat.

So when I look at something and think, should I or shouldn't I, what I'm really thinking is, can I eat this and stay reasonable on my calories or will I over-indulge? Will this make me have cravings?

And the beauty of Atkins is you can eat a satisfying diet, not feel hungry, but not over eat on calories and lose weight.

MyJourney
Sun, Mar-28-04, 15:02
I would say eating 3 bars in addition to your meals daily is probably a bit too much. I see it as 'fake' (highly processed) foods (bars, chocolate, candy) replacing 'real' foods (veggies, fruits, nuts, cheese, meat etc.)

Also, foods that are high in sugar alcohols may knock you out of ketosis since 1/3-1/2 or so of the sugar alcohols are absorbed as carbs in your body, just at a slower rate.

If you want a treat, maybe try some that you make yourself with splenda and no sugar alcohols. Also are you on induction? If so try for a clean 2 week induction before introducing sweets into your diet. Induction really helps with all the cravings, sometimes the chocolate bars and other sweet foods will trigger cravings.