PDA

View Full Version : Im about done......

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

soulmatez2
Fri, Mar-26-04, 10:06
Hi all, Im new to this forum...a friend recommended it to me because she knows how frustrated I am. Let me start at the beginning...I started on Atkins in January...lost about 20lbs (YEA!!)...then STOPPED dead....for 6 weeks....I didnt change what I was doing....I take supplements...less than 20 carbs/day....plenty of fat....I dont cheat....so then someone recommended to me that I take a 48hr carb binge and then jump back on induction to restart my weight loss....tried that and ended up w/the worst case of 'carb flu'....since then, I have been playing with the same 5 lbs and cant seem to drop below 165....Since Im new here, Im not sure how to post my fitday...(I will if someone can help me...) I have just started using it to make SURE Im not going over and not realizing it. CAN SOMEBODY HELP ME!!!

I seriously am at the end of my rope....I cant believe this is it...that Im doomed to be a size 14 forever.....I was a size 6 before my kids were born...Im not so unrealistic as to think I will be that again...but single digits would be nice......lol

PLEASE HELP!!!

MyJourney
Fri, Mar-26-04, 10:16
To post your fitday link log in to www.fitday.com click on home (on the left side) and then make journal public (something like that) and it should give you the url to use.

soulmatez2
Fri, Mar-26-04, 10:23
http://www.fitday.com/WebFit/PublicJournals.html?Owner=soulmatez2

This is the link Fitday gave me....I have only been doing it for this week....but it is pretty standard....I REALLY appreciate any help...I dont mean to sound so negative...because I am an upbeat person...but I am just FRUSTRATED....

Thanks for your understanding....

black57
Fri, Mar-26-04, 10:32
Well let me tell you about me. IWhen I began this woe ( way of eating ) I lost 9 lbs on induction, which made me happy. Then I lost about 1-2 lbs a month until I became stuck at 142 lbs. I was stuck there for 6 months. But, I had a more nutritious diet than I ever had. I was gradually losing inches and my lipid profile was outstanding so I knew I was on the right track. After being stuck at 142 for 6 months, I dropped down to 136. I have been 136 lbs ( give or take ) for over six months.I have come to the conclusion that my body just might be losing weight the same way it gained it in the first place. When I was gaining weight I didn't check the scale every day to see if I had put on the expected amount of lbs. I didn't want to know if I had put on weight. But, low and behold, I had put on weight .

Now I am allowing my body the same freedom to lose the weight. If I want to get to my goal, I can't give up on it just because my loss isn't going my way. I began exercising at Curves which contribute to even more health benefits.

Now Soulmatez2, just a little advice. If you give up on this and return to your old eating habits, you will put the weight back on. Many have come to this forum revealing that it is much harder to lose after the first try. Are you eating plenty of veggies and drinking plenty of water? Are you measuring yourself to make sure that you are losing inches. If you are losing inches then you are not stalled. Hang in there and concentrate on improving your diet and your outlook at this weightloss journey.

Black57

toddzilla
Fri, Mar-26-04, 10:39
It took you YEARS to put the weight on...why be impatient with it coming off?

Try to look at this as a marathon and not a race. Respect your body, let it lose the way it wants to. Don't get upset at it :lol:

MyJourney
Fri, Mar-26-04, 10:44
Heya,

Dont feel bad, stalls happen to almost all of us at some point and they all suck!

This forum is great for questions and support.

There are only 3 days worth of fitday but I looked through them and my first question from what I saw is where are the veggies?

You arent really eating any. The most you had was one day where you had half a cup of string beans and 4 slices of mushroom. That isnt nearly enough. It should be at least 3 cups a day, also what stage are you in and how many carbs are you eating a day? Cottage cheese is not allowed on induction and you should be eating the whole milk kind, not the low fat version.

Also, you may not be paying attention to the fitday values or you are eating too much cheese. 2 cups a day worth of cheese is a lot of cheese which can cause stalls and also isnt reccomended if you have any yeast symptoms.

I suggest adding a lot more veggies, eating a variety of different types of quality protein instead of just ground beef, maybe add chicken, fish, turkey, lamb, venison etc.
cut out the cottage cheese if you are trying to do induction and cut back the regular cheese to no more than 3-4 oz a day. I would also suggest drinking more water, since you seem to eat a good amount of processed meats (hot dogs, sausage etc.) which are pretty high in sodium (or cut back on the processed meats some if you want)

also keep in mind that foods with sugar alcohols or other types of specialty low carb foods and treats (especially those with sugar alcohols) can and do stall many people, so if you are eating a lot of those you may want to cut them out of your diet for a while.

good luck and HTH

MJ

soulmatez2
Fri, Mar-26-04, 10:45
Im really not impatient....if I was losing ANYTHING...I would be happy as a clam....and I am REALLY trying to revamp my attitude...(why I am here, rather than just giving up) but I am just having a hard time for some reason...I will try gulping more water and veggies...and I appreciate your thoughts....but dont think of me as a negative nelly....Im just frustrated.....I have lost 3" waist and thighs...but even that has stopped for almost a month....I guess I just needed to vent....lol

wenig
Fri, Mar-26-04, 10:46
soulmatez2 do you really eat "cups" of cheese. That would do it. Just a thought

Kristine
Fri, Mar-26-04, 10:48
I know you must be frustrated, but remember that a safe rate of weight loss is about 1-2 lbs per week. If you lost 20 lbs since January, that's an average of 1.6 lbs per week. Remember that the scale doesn't tell you anything about your body composition, so you could very well have been losing fat all this time whether the scale was going down or not.

Hang in there; the other posters are right: you can't measure success on a day-to-day or even week-to-week basis by scale weight. In the meantime, enjoy the food. :cool:

Paleoanth
Fri, Mar-26-04, 10:49
Have you been measuring? I lose inches far faster than actual weight. I am smaller at this weight that I was last time I weighed this in my 20's. Lots of times we shrink in size and then the scale catches up much later.

soulmatez2
Fri, Mar-26-04, 10:50
that 'cups' of cheese is an error on my part....I made a 'cheeseburger cassarole' so no....lol....I dont eat cups of cheese....

and I usually have a salad several times a week for lunch...the fitday has only been for the last couple of days....I guess a bad example....I really appreciate everyones help....

Kathy54
Fri, Mar-26-04, 10:55
WEll stick to it, I know it can be fustrating.
I had many weeks of no loss, but here I am maintaining for 7 months now.

As for the Carb binge thing, tough lesson learned.
Giving up will only bring back what you have lost, right? Then make it harder if you try any plan again, so read lots through here and try some other meal plans ect shake it up a bit.

Cheers Kathy

Dewi
Fri, Mar-26-04, 11:12
Hi soulmatez2,

Not sure if you do but excersicing makes a world of differece. And I too agree with the other repsonses that you have received.

Hang in there.

NYorker
Fri, Mar-26-04, 11:13
that 'cups' of cheese is an error on my part....I made a 'cheeseburger cassarole' so no....lol....I dont eat cups of cheese....

Ya gotta love FitDay lol!

sjkling
Fri, Mar-26-04, 11:20
relax a little! keep doing all the right things and good things will happen with the tape measure! i am closing in on my one year anniversary on atkins, and i can tell you that the last four to five months have been frustrating at times, too....but this woe really does work and it works really well. maybe not as fast as you want at the moment, but keep yourself focused on how far you've already come! like everyone else here, i know the frustration of not seeing the scale go down. so you weigh yourself one day and you think, hey, i'm busting my a** here and nothing has happened, in fact, maybe you're up a pound or two. your first thought is "who cares" and if this is all that happens, why not just go grab whatever you want and eat it! but you will learn that if you just hang in there and are tougher than that, good things can and do happen!

Carbinat0r
Fri, Mar-26-04, 11:46
I have a question about fitday,
How do you all enter the specialty low carb foods (like bread)

DaddioM
Fri, Mar-26-04, 12:19
Stick with it, you can do it!!

If you're not exercising at all, you could start some of that up. Also, if this is a way of life (as opposed to a quick diet and back to "normal") be happy with a slow loss.

Also, I was the same as Paleo....lost weight right away, then nothing (weight wise) but my shape was still changing. If you're not measuring...get a baseline.

Paleoanth
Fri, Mar-26-04, 12:22
I have a question about fitday,
How do you all enter the specialty low carb foods (like bread)
There is a Custom Food option on the food page. Click Add Custom Food and enter in the values from the package.

Katana
Fri, Mar-26-04, 13:43
Soulmatez, I've been stalled for 9 months!!!

But I don't give up. You wanna know why? The old way of eating made me gain. This way, I feel good, I'm doing something healthy, and eventually - I will lose the rest of my weight.

It doesn't pay to give into frustration - you've gotten a lot of good info here - often when you lose fat it is replaced by water. So you may not really be stalled, give it time. Also, we all tend to lose the most at the beginning. You can't expect that same rate for the whole process.

We all have different metabolisms - you need to find the right mix of foods for yours - whether sodium, processed meats, cheese, etc. affect you...

Are you drinking enough water? Are you exercising?

If you remember that Atkins is forever - a way of life (WOL), then it is easier not to lose patience - if you intend to eat like this for the long haul, you will get used to not looking for day to day results.

Cheers, and good luck!

DianaO
Fri, Mar-26-04, 14:37
Use www.fitday
watch calories
water
exercise
salt intake

madpiano
Fri, Mar-26-04, 16:30
Maybe it's time to go into OWL. I know it's scary, but it works and makes you feel better. you gt more choice in food and for some reason you lose weight more easily.

I read loads of stories here that folks are stalled. Nearly every one of them is staying at induction levels. On the other hand, you have lost so much weight, give your body some time to catch up. you still lost more than 0.5lb per week on average.

freckles
Fri, Mar-26-04, 20:28
relax a little! keep doing all the right things and good things will happen with the tape measure! i am closing in on my one year anniversary on atkins, and i can tell you that the last four to five months have been frustrating at times, too....but this woe really does work and it works really well. maybe not as fast as you want at the moment, but keep yourself focused on how far you've already come! like everyone else here, i know the frustration of not seeing the scale go down. so you weigh yourself one day and you think, hey, i'm busting my a** here and nothing has happened, in fact, maybe you're up a pound or two. your first thought is "who cares" and if this is all that happens, why not just go grab whatever you want and eat it! but you will learn that if you just hang in there and are tougher than that, good things can and do happen!

Well, I'm not the OP, but I needed to be reminded of this myself.

I also agree with madpiano...might be time to consider doing OWL...I've heard a lot of people begin losing better when they move to OWL...I've been experimenting with it myself. All the advice has been good...it's up to you to try to figure out where to go from here. Good luck to you.

Auburn2932
Sat, Mar-27-04, 07:31
Glad to see that I'm not the only one that has been stalled for months and months and month. But I keep hanging in there.

shipto
Sat, Mar-27-04, 08:42
I am at th same point lost 10lb pretty quick but the scale seems to have a problem registering below that 196lb mark. :(

freckles
Sat, Mar-27-04, 16:12
You know...I wanted to share with you what has been happening to me that I just realized the past couple of days...I too have been bouncing from 159-157 over the past month or so. My measurements have changed....but that doesn't seem to have encouraged me any...but what I've noticed over the past couple of days has. I've realized that my medic id bracelet is way looser, my fingers are smaller - my wedding band is way looser, the fat pockets that were on my hips are all but gone, and this morning I realized that, although my abdomen measurement hasn't changed, the fat on the sides of my abdomen is leaving. So my measurement has stayed the same...but my abdomen is not as wide. I just wonder if maybe there's stuff like that going on with you that you haven't noticed. Could be your weight loss is taking a break to let your bod catch up to the loss you've already experienced. Just a thought.

Lulita
Sun, Mar-28-04, 15:32
I would like to know how escercise has affected you all. I have been in the program for a month, finally lost 7.6, 1.5 after starting to go to the gym this last couple of days. Is the gym very important?
I will be doing Palatis twice a week and weight training twice a week, any ideas?

Lulita
Sun, Mar-28-04, 15:35
Sorry, forgot to ask something. What is the easiest way to check your posts? It seems that I have to find one of my posts and then click on profile and check all the posts, sometimes it takes me a long time.... :yay: :angel: :wiggle: :roll: