PDA

View Full Version : Do you Use Supplements

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

sydnarella
Thu, Mar-25-04, 11:29
I was just curious about whether and what people are using as nutritional supplements. Do you use a multivitamin, other supplements, etc? And if so, can you tell a difference in how you feel, weight loss etc.

dreamnfae
Thu, Mar-25-04, 11:32
I take the Atkins Basic3, Essential Oils, but I couldn't tell you if I noticed a difference in anything with those since I have been taking them since the beginning. I have, however, had to add a potassium supplement for cramps in my legs, and Vitamin C for the brusing. Those have helped tremendously!

4beans4me
Thu, Mar-25-04, 11:52
I don't take anything, and never have... even though I probably should take a multivitamin... :blush:

corianin
Thu, Mar-25-04, 11:56
Ever since starting this WOE I take a multi-vitamin daily (minus iron and fillers) also the atkin's essential oils and 1000mg flax oil, st john's wort and sometimes the dieter's advantage tablets though not daily (probably should though!) I just started using an ECA stack on my weight training days. It looks like a lot but only ends up being about 4-5 pills per day which isn't bad and it means I get about 16 oz of water trying to get all those suckers down!!

~ Cori ~

MyJourney
Thu, Mar-25-04, 12:15
I take a multivitamin, cod liver oil and GLA. I am also considering taking some CLA

I definitely feel a difference when I dont take my multivitamin. I should also add that my multivitamin has

horsetail leaf - 150mg
cranberry - 100mg
glucosamine - 100mg
echinacea -50mg
ginkgo biloba - 30mg
bromelain - 25 mg
papain - 25 mg
gluthione - 5 mg
grape seed extract 3.75 mg
boron - 750 mcg
vanadium - 25 mcg

and so I am not sure if its any of those that impact why I notice it when I dont take it. The amounts arent huge, but I do feel better when I take a multivitamin.

sunspine17
Thu, Mar-25-04, 12:27
I take a multivitamin, Centrum (and can feel a difference when I miss it). I also take 2 magnesium/potassium/calcium and 2 potassium twice per day or I get massive leg cramps (so obviously, I can really feel the difference when I miss those!). I go on kicks where I also take C, B complex, B6, omega's. I feel better when I take those as well-- it's just A LOT of pills so I tend to take them for a few weeks and then stop.

I started taking all these again recently and I'm losing A LOT after not losing for about 6 weeks. I've changed a few other things too so I can't really say if it's the vitamins or not that are helping. I have more energy though.

SkinnyBeth
Thu, Mar-25-04, 12:36
oops...double post...

SkinnyBeth
Thu, Mar-25-04, 12:37
If you're on Atkins, it's mandatory to take vitamins. If you're overwhelmed by the idea of taking too many, at LEAST take a multivitamin. Since I started taking them, I have noticed an improvement in my energy levels.

I take:

One a Day Weighsmart (has added magnesium)
Vitamin C
Flax Oil--good for possible hair loss and great for the brain
Co-Q10---omg, since I've added this one, the pounds started DROPPING off!!! :yay:

CindyG
Thu, Mar-25-04, 12:48
I take supplements everyday.

Here's the list:

GNC Women's ultra mega without iron
L-Carnitine 500mg
CoQ10 50mg
Occuvite

And I was taking the oil of oregano, but I noticed absolutely no difference in weigth loss, so I stopped taking it.

corianin
Thu, Mar-25-04, 12:54
What is Co - Q10? An amino acid or what? And how much/how often? I need all the help I can get! LOL

~ Cori ~

SkinnyBeth
Thu, Mar-25-04, 13:33
I found a link talking about Co-Q10, but here is my favorite statement I found on it:
Many overweight people have very low levels of CoQ10 and supplementation may enable them to lose weight due to the effect of CoQ10 in speeding up the metabolism of fats
Here is the link (http://www.yourhealthbase.com/coenzyme_Q10.html)

RCFletcher
Thu, Mar-25-04, 13:35
I take:
a multivitamin and mineral tablet
a fish oils tablet
a calcium, magnesium and zinc tablet
a 1000mg slow release vitamin C tablet
a garlic tablet
and I use low salt for the potasium.

Dewi
Thu, Mar-25-04, 13:40
I Daily take Centrtrum multivitamin, 3 omega 3 (oil for my cholesterol), Magnesium, potassium, calcium (for my leg cramps) and will start taking Oregano Extract if not Oregano Oil.

What I notice is that If I dont take my vitamins , especially the leg cramp ones..I'll get a cramp. I was taking them faithfully for almost 2months but last week i skipped like 4 days and I had a slight leg cramp on Tuesday.

They are hard to swallow but I force my self becuase my leg cramps were really painful to the point I would wake up screaming.

Dewi

DianaO
Thu, Mar-25-04, 13:43
I take a multi
omega 3
CLA
L-Carnatine
Mag/calc/pot
Botin

KIDBXRS
Thu, Mar-25-04, 13:52
I take a multi vitamin
1000 mg fish oil
200 mcg chromium picolinate
calcium with vitamin D

corianin
Thu, Mar-25-04, 15:09
Thanks for the link skinnybeth! I just started exercising this month and weight training so I think it's even more essential now. I'll pick up some up today! I bought the Atkin's Vita-nutrient solutions, but it's a dry read and hard to get through, though I'm sure the nutrient answer to my weight loss stall would have been in there. Thanks again :)

~ Cori ~

calico32
Thu, Mar-25-04, 15:23
I take a multi (currently alternating Centrum mature with one-a-day weightsmart so I can use up the one-a-days), and Oil of oregano.

I've noticed since I've started taking my supplements, I feel alot better.

Hilary M
Thu, Mar-25-04, 16:12
I take a multi-vitamin, vitamin E, fish oil, pottasium, calcium/magnesium/zinc, and oil of oregano. I keep hearing about new supplements I need to be taking — started with just a multi, but have been adding the others gradually since!

Hilary M
Thu, Mar-25-04, 16:15
By the way, One A Day Weightsmart is supposed to be loaded with extra sugars and starches. Probably not such a great choice.

Nancy LC
Thu, Mar-25-04, 17:44
I was just curious about whether and what people are using as nutritional supplements. Do you use a multivitamin, other supplements, etc? And if so, can you tell a difference in how you feel, weight loss etc.

IMHO supplements are sort of like belonging to multiple religions. You just want to cover your bases just in case!

I take a multivitamin, but there were things it didn't cover that I wanted to make sure I was good on like:

folic acid
Choline (brain supplement)
E & C (a little extra)
Glucosamine (arthritis :()
Calcium

I tried some of the extra expensive, supposed to help you lose weight, supplements but found the other thing they lightened was my wallet. So I'm not buying more.

BonJoviFan
Thu, Mar-25-04, 18:58
Here are the ingredients from the One-A-Day website for the Weight Smart vitamins:

Calcium Carbonate, Cellulose, Green Tea Extract, Magnesium Oxide, Ascorbic Acid, Ferrous Fumarate, Acacia, dl-alpha Tocopheryl Acetate, Niacinamide, Croscarmellose Sodium, Zinc Oxide, Dicalcium Phosphate, Dextrin, d-Calcium Pantothenate, Silicon Dioxide, Caffeine Powder, Hypromellose, Magnesium Stearate, Titanium Dioxide, Gelatin, Corn Starch, Glucose, Crospovidone, Calcium Silicate, Manganese Sulfate, Cupric Sulfate, Polyethylene Glycol, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Riboflavin, Dextrose, Thiamine Mononitrate, Lecithin, Beta Carotene, Chromium Chloride, Resin, Folic Acid, FD&C Blue #1 Lake, Sodium Selenate, Phytonadione, Tricalcium Phosphate, Cholecalciferol, Cyanocobalamin.

I think I need to buy some new supplements immediately!!! I could probably underline more bad ingredients but I don't recognize the rest.

AnnieFelac
Thu, Mar-25-04, 19:03
Hi, I have been taking Atkins Basic 3, Essential Oils, Dieter's Advantage from the beggining and I do notice that when I forget that it's really noticable how my energy level drops. I do think the oils have effected my taste for fish though in an unfavorable way. Don't know for sure but why else would I suddenly dislike something I've loved all my life.
I also have co-q10 and quercetin which I bought to help with allergies. I don't take them regularly but since I heard about Skinnybeth's experience I will take them more regularly now. Sounds great.
I also use MSM and Glucosamine chondroiten for my knees and back (arthritis) since I'm allergic to NSAIDS.
They help alot, but you have to use them regularly to notice the difference. My knees don't sound as crunchy as much as they used to when I bend.
I have Dr. A's Vitanutrient Solution book. It's great! I also just started taking bilberry because my night vision isn't what it used to be (must be the lack of all those high carb carrots) hehe :) Annie

sydnarella
Thu, Mar-25-04, 19:11
Ok, you guys have made me feel soooo much better! I was thinking that maybe I was going overboard so I wanted to see what everyone else was doing before I jumped out there. I'm taking a multivitaman plus iron every day (my doctor just upped it to 3 - 325mg iron at night before bed - i have anemia) and I take a calcium/magnesium/potassium sup, CLA, oil of oregano, Co Q10, L-Carnitine and theres one more I can't remember (I keep my stash at the office during the week). The only one I can tell a difference if I don't take it is the calcium/mag/potassium, because I'm on a blood pressure diuretic and if I don't take that one I both get light headed AND I have the excruciating leg cramps. I take the other ones just because I keep hoping they're good for me.

SkinnyBeth
Fri, Mar-26-04, 08:48
OMG!!! Thanks for the info on the One-A-Day Weightsmart!!! I'll finish up this bottle and buy a better multi and then a magnesium supplement....SHEESH! :eek:

dreamnfae
Fri, Mar-26-04, 09:55
~~~~~>running to search for inexpensive (but quality) CoQ10...anyone know a good place to get them cheaply? I usually get everything from VitaCost.com, since they are usually less expensive, and shipping there is only 4.95 regardless of how much I order. The cost for it there:
30mg-60caps=7.95
100mg-60caps=19.95
100mg-60softgels=24.95
200mg-60caps=34.95
200mg-60softgels=39.95

And that's just a start!! How much should I take? Are Caps better than softgels? ACK!! What do you guys take, and how much?

Dustie
Fri, Mar-26-04, 10:13
I am so pleased I saw this post - I am not used to taking supplements and on the advice of this web site bought some chromium yesterday (could not get potassium for leg cramps but will keep trying) and totally forgot to take it until I saw this question - so thank you I will go down stairs now and take my supplent now. :)

spydermary
Fri, Mar-26-04, 10:22
Just reading everyone's list.

I got my first leg cramp last night. Is it the calcium that will stop these? Right now I only take a multivitamin and a vitamin C.

Dustie
Fri, Mar-26-04, 10:25
I was told it was potassium that stops the cramps. Not sure if potassium is mixed in with other things like calcium supplements but I could not find potassium on its own.

Ginga
Fri, Mar-26-04, 10:56
WHEN i WAS PREGNANT I WOULD GET LEG CRAMPS. MY DOCTOR TOLD ME IT WAS LACK OF CALCIUM

dreamnfae
Fri, Mar-26-04, 11:47
Potassium has always worked for my leg cramps! I used to get them soooo bad, they would put me down for days, now I don't get them at all, unless I forget to take it!

corianin
Fri, Mar-26-04, 12:54
Well it's good to see we're all taking something. I don't like taking multi-vitamins. I wish I could get all the healthy things my body needs from foods, but unfortunately it just isn't the case anymore. With microwaves and new ways of farming vegetables IMO, just aren't giving us as much as they used to. Though I'm not giving up my cauliflower for anything!
Dreamn - I just picked up Co-q10 (30mg softgel tabs) for 7.95 at target. I'm sure walmart would have them too, probably cheaper. Don't order it online if you don't have to, that way you can save s/h costs.

~ Cori ~