PDA

View Full Version : Almost passed out!

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

javamel
Thu, Mar-25-04, 10:24
Hello everyone! I have lurked on this board for two weeks, but this is my first post! I started the atkins woe (read the book first though) March 10, 2004, and have lost 8 lbs. I am thrilled with the loss, but am a bit concerned about some of the symptoms I have been experiencing. I take a bikram yoga class and on Tuesday, I had to leave after 15 minutes because my hands and feet were going numb and I was starting to black out. Since then, I have been feeling dizzy on and off, and find my legs so heavy that walking any distance is a big chore. The following is typical of what I have been eating...maybe someone could tell me if I am doing something wrong? Preemptively, however, I will say that I already know that I am not eating salads...I can't eat fresh (uncooked) vegetables or fruits because I have Crohn's disease, so I have to eat them cooked. Also, I read in many places that the shakes are fine on induction because they do not contain sugar alcohols like the bars...ok here's what I am eating:

Breakfast: Atkins Advantage shake and a boiled egg
Lunch: grilled chicken breast or hamburger patty with cheese and bacon, steamed broccoli
Snack: a piece of cheese
Dinner: deviled egg sandwich using the LC tortilla as a wrap instead of bread, green beans
dessert: sugar free jello

I also do yoga 3 days a week, and have never had this problem before. I did, however, just finish TOM...maybe I was a bit anemic. I do take vitamins and potassium supplements. Thanks in advance! :yay:

Elsah
Thu, Mar-25-04, 10:31
Your menu actually looks okay but are you using any fat at all? If you aren't your calories are probably next to nothing. Use fitday to figure out your calorie intake. The account is free and you can get it at www.fitday.com. You really need your fats to follow atkins. Other than that just make sure you are drinking enough water.

jenn

javamel
Thu, Mar-25-04, 10:35
Thanks! I am drinking about 2 liters of water a day. Maybe I am not getting enough fat as you suggest. I am a Weight Watchers refugee and its so hard to eat fat without thinking oh my God! I am going to gain 50 lbs because I ate mayo! LOL! I will try that. My BP was really low at the doctor's yesterday too. I am hoping it's all just the carb flu I keep hearing about.

Moonwalker
Thu, Mar-25-04, 10:37
you should drop the sugar free jello.. it will beging to stall you very soon, drop the shake too.. going all natural foods you will see a lot better results

Elsah
Thu, Mar-25-04, 10:37
I am not an expert at all but I THINK (which is always dangerous) that there is another post saying something about potassium and low blood pressure. You might want to poke around the messages for the last couple days and see if you see anything on it. I think in there post they said they were feeling dizzy or sick too.

Jenn

Idabelle
Thu, Mar-25-04, 10:42
I was reading yesterday that a person has to be careful not to get too much potassium. I have always been concerned about too much salt but had not considered the result of too much potassium. With your new way of eating you may have cut back on salt and may not need the potassium supplement? Maybe someone could advise more about cautions with it. I am taking extra by using a salt substitute. I would be interested in hearing if anyone has had a problem with high potassium and what they felt like.

Elsah
Thu, Mar-25-04, 10:42
Quote by itsthewoo that I cut and pasted from another similar thread.

What you are experiencing is low blood pressure. You are having low blood pressure because your electrolytes are both low and imbalanced due to an inadequate mineral/carbohydrate intake, and excessive water loss due to weight loss and very low carbohydrate intake.

To fix this problem, I highly suggest raising your carb limit and make sure you choose carbs that have a good ratio of potassium and nutrients to carbohydrate. Some good sources are leafy veggies like spinach and lettuces, both of which are low in carbs and calories, but very high in potassium and other nutrients. Avocados are also very high in potassium, but they contain a lot of calories so you really can't make them a staple like you can lettuces and spinach.

Also, I suggest laying off extra salt. Sodium and potassium work in concert to regulate body fluid pressure. Too much sodium retains fluids (bloating) and causes fluid pressure/high blood pressure, whereas potassium does the opposite. While it may seem like someone with low blood pressure should eat more sodium, or at least eat less potassium, in reality they should eat less sodium. Your body gets rid of the extra sodium by signaling an intense thirst signal when you ingest too much; it does this so you drink more water and flush out the extra salt. Unfortunately, along with the sodium you also lose a ton of other minerals and electrolytes... including potassium.

So, too much salt can contribute to low electrolyte levels as well.

Another thing you need to do is stop drinking water when you are NOT thirsty. IMO the 8 glass rule is ridiculous, there is no way to arbitrarily assign a set amount of glasses of water to everyone. Water content of your food, composition of food, weather, and individual biological make up will all affect how much water you need. Your body knows what it's doing, if it isn't thirsty it doesn't need water. Forcing water in it may aid in dieting (since drinking something will quell desires to mindlessly snack), but it is NOT a wise thing to be doing if you are already low on electrolytes. Increasing water intake will only increase the rate at which you lose minerals, and it will only contribute to the LBP.

So here is my recommendations to you. Eat more carbs (don't be AFRAID to break the 20 carb barrier! You won't instantly blimp up on the other side ), eat more veggies with potassium, don't drink too many fluids, and eat less salt.

Idabelle
Thu, Mar-25-04, 10:45
Elsah- I am so slow at posting that I did not read your post until after I entered mine. lol

javamel
Thu, Mar-25-04, 10:50
Hmm. I hadn't thought of too much potassium. I take it in a supplement called "Electrolyte Stamina" to replace my electrolytes after the bikram yoga, which is 90 minutes in a room heated to 105 degrees! Imagine the sweating that goes on there! I should also add that I am on a lot of medications for the Crohn's disease that could be contributing, including a chemotherapy drug. I just figured that since it came on all of a sudden it might be related to my new woe. Maybe I will drop the supplement for a week to see what that does, as well as upping my fats. Man, you guys are great!! Thanks for your help.

As for the shakes, I will drop them if I stall, but I cannot make a breakfast in the morning (I work horrendously long hours and live alone...mornings are brutal). For now, I feel that at least I am getting vitamins and nutrients and am not hungry till lunch. If I stall though, I will have to reevaluate them. I wonder, though, why people say they cause stalls. I understand the sugar alcohol issues with the bars and other "frankenfoods," but the shakes seem very wholeome to me, no sugar alcohols at all. Maybe someone cn explain this once and for all? :confused:

javamel
Thu, Mar-25-04, 10:52
Elsah...thanks so much! I guess dropping the potassium is *not* what I wanna be doing for now.

Elsah
Thu, Mar-25-04, 10:53
Well I am not sure if that is medical fact or not. I have no knowledge at all when it comes to the subject. I just had remembered reading the post. Maybe it's something you should ask your doctor about or do research of your own just to make sure.

Jenn

RobsGal
Thu, Mar-25-04, 11:10
I don't know what happens when your potassium is too high, but a word of caution...NEVER let your potassium get too low. I have had problems with that in the past caused by other medications I was taking and had to drink liquid potassium. It was honest to God, the nastiest stuff I've ever had. The tried make it taste better by mixing it with cranberry juice, and I couldn't taste the juice at all. I asked about just shooting it down without diluting and they said I'd vomit it up. Nas-tee! Fortunately I haven't had that problem in a few years, and I'm keeping my fingers crossed that it doesn't come back!

Nancy LC
Thu, Mar-25-04, 11:16
Quote by itsthewoo that I cut and pasted from another similar thread.
Another thing you need to do is stop drinking water when you are NOT thirsty. IMO the 8 glass rule is ridiculous, there is no way to arbitrarily assign a set amount of glasses of water to everyone. Water content of your food, composition of food, weather, and individual biological make up will all affect how much water you need. Your body knows what it's doing, if it isn't thirsty it doesn't need water. Forcing water in it may aid in dieting (since drinking something will quell desires to mindlessly snack), but it is NOT a wise thing to be doing if you are already low on electrolytes. Increasing water intake will only increase the rate at which you lose minerals, and it will only contribute to the LBP.

I so totally agree with that. I keep reading about people forcing themselves to drink more water than they really require and I wonder what it does to the balance of salts and minerals in the body. The recent research I've heard is that your body, of healthy people, does a fine job of signaling when it needs liquid, and all sources of liquids are fine. Except sometimes elderly people need to drink more because they don't get the thirsty reflex so much. Your body is capable of separating water from tea, coffee, whatever and using it. The diurectic effects of caffeine drinks are that you pee out maybe an additional tablespoon per cup of coffee.

I noticed my BP has dropped a lot since I've been on Atkins too. The top number is sometimes barely at 100. I wonder if that's too low?

DianaO
Thu, Mar-25-04, 11:16
I agree low Blood Pressure! I had the same thing when I started and it is very COMMON when starting this WOL. It will stop

hcomeau
Thu, Mar-25-04, 11:25
javamel

I don't know very much about low blood pressure or potassium but I looked at your menu and this is what I think:

I would cut out the shakes, even though they say ok for phase 1 on the label they are not listed in DANDR as acceptable foods. (I know this is confusing)

I would watch cheese, don't go over 2 or 3 oz a day, I get major stalls from cheese.

Get rid of the low carb tortilla, they are made for people on maintenence.

The side effects I get even when very hydrated are leg and foot cramps. I think everyone is different with "symptoms" but hang in there and good luck to you!

freckles
Thu, Mar-25-04, 12:31
I doubt that anything on your menu is causing this...it probably is low blood pressure and you got some good advice about that.

climbergrl
Thu, Mar-25-04, 13:11
It also looks like you need more calories! They seem really really low. I'm only 5'2 and 110 pounds and I would starve if I ate that little!

javamel
Thu, Mar-25-04, 13:23
Thanks guys!

I think for now I am on board with Freckles with respect to the shakes/tortillas. I am happy with the rate at which I am losing so far, but if I stall, I will definitely look at these items more carefully. For now, though, I think that as long as I am losing, those things shouldn't necessarily be off limits for me (of course, YMMV). I think y'all are right about the low BP (esp. since it was low at the Dr.'s yesterday). I don't think the shakes or tortillas wouild cause that, but I could be wrong. I think I will up the fats and calories a bit and try to increase my potassium intake a little as well. If I find the magic combo, I will let y'all know! :roll:

I am still interested, though in why shakes would stall a person? I guess I am just interested in the science behind it (yah, I'm a geek!). Think I'll start a thread to see if we can get this down once and for all....maybe there's a food scientist among us!

climbergrl
Thu, Mar-25-04, 13:25
The shakes didn't seem to stall me. I like eggs though becuase they are cheaper and there is no doubt that they are atkins induction approved.

shoer
Thu, Mar-25-04, 14:41
Maybe the problem has nothing to do with what you're eating--I know 90 minutes of yoga in a room heated to 105 degrees would make me pass out, irregardless of what I was eating!

javamel
Thu, Mar-25-04, 15:04
Nah. I am used to the yoga by now. The only thing new is the woe.

JimR-OCDS
Thu, Mar-25-04, 15:21
Doing anything in a room at 105 degrees is unhealthy! Ever been to a sauna? Being in such heat will raise your blood pressure from just sitting, never mind exercising.

I'd suggest you find another environment and teacher to do yoga with. The one your involved with right now is not healthy.

Also, no one should take potassium supplements without consulting a doctor.

Potassium helps regulate your heart beat. People have died screwing around with potassium supplements.

Tasha_C
Thu, Mar-25-04, 15:27
Hi Java,
I took a couple bikrams hot yoga classes before and the instructors always stated before the class that if you feel dizzy or feel like passing out, drink water and leave the room. I would suggest doing another form of yoga such as pilates or yogalates; basically any other form of yoga asides from bikrams.
Hope that helps :)

javamel
Thu, Mar-25-04, 15:37
Y'all...bikram yoga is fine. It's not unhealthy imho, as I have been doing it for a long time. It is designed to mimic the conditions of India, where Bikram is from, and the postures are carefully orchestrated to take care of the body and to minimize problems with blood pressure. Jim, is it unhealthy for Indians to exercise in India? Not trying to be nasty...just raising a different viewpoint. I had one incident this week is all, and I wanted to see if perhaps there was something I could do to minimize the impact of this woe on my practice. I did have the initial dizzies, as does anyone new to Bikram, but those have been loooong gone. It was just this week.

JimR-OCDS
Thu, Mar-25-04, 15:59
javamel,
it's not unhealthy for Indians because they live in that environement everyday, you don't. People who move into hot climates from cooler climates, should allow at least 3-5 days for their bodies to adjust, before they begin exercise programs. Even professional atheletes allow themselves time to adjust before playing in hotter climate areas of the country.

The instructor you have sounds like a quack. Find another instructor and form of yoga.

javamel
Thu, Mar-25-04, 16:23
Ok, Jim. I accept that you don't agree with what I do, as much as most non-atkins people don't agree with the way we eat. As a fellow atkins-follower who takes flak for a healthy way of eating because people are not educated about atkins or low carbing, I would imagine that you would not say that my "instructor" (with, by the way 600 schools around the world) is a "quack" without having fully researched Bikram Yoga. I am confident that you have tried it, as well as other hatha styles, and have used your expertise to make such a judgmental conclusion. Thank you for your concern and support. It is extremely helpful on a forum like this.

If you want to learn something more about it than you already do, go here: http://www.bikramyoga.com/sqa.htm

snburch
Thu, Mar-25-04, 16:41
I really enjoy the Atkins shakes and manage to lose even when drinking one a day for breakfast. I figure it is better than skipping a meal which I'm tempted to do when I'm rushed.
I've given them up in the past because I've read others say over and over that they are a no-no and cause stalls. I don't think this is the case for everyone.
I also like the LC tortillas and SF Jello, both of which don't appear to cause me problems. I also eat quite a bit of cheese. I'm not losing "fast", but that isn't my main concern.
One thing about LC....it can be a very different experience for people. What works for one doesn't for another.
Your yoga class sounds interesting. I really enjoy saunas and find them very relaxing. I imagine your class is too. Very Kewl!

javamel
Thu, Mar-25-04, 16:57
Thanks, Snburch! Maybe it's a Texan thing! We are more used to the sauna-environment than most people in the country!

cls923
Thu, Mar-25-04, 18:09
Hi there...
Potassium levels either high or low can be dangerous...In my opinion (I'm a nurse), you need to have some lab work done if you haven't had any in a while..Blacking out and feeling run down are not normal on any diet...There are numerous things that could be attributed to these symptoms..Don't take any chances and try to second guess whats going on...please go see your personal physican...
This is just my opinion...Let us know how you are doing!! Good luck to oyu :0)

sydnarella
Thu, Mar-25-04, 18:57
On Atkins, especially induction, its REALLY easy to dehydrate. You'll notice this when you get leg cramps etc, and it can also mess with your electrolytes, potassium levels and what not. Is "what not" a word?

Anyway, This is the reason that a lot of people notice a loss in blood pressure - as your body loses fluid your blood pressure can plummet. This is one of the reasons you see them give IV fluids to people who are crashing in emergency shows - to raise their blood pressure.

If you're having problems with this, I would go ahead and take an oral potassium supplement. Better yet, go to your doctor and have your blood levels drawn so that you have a baseline and can see if you are tending to be low - which will make you feel better about taking the supplement if you need it. And of COURSE, make sure you stay hydrated. You may need to boost your carb and / or fat levels a little to have enough energy if you exercise a good bit.

Also, the shakes? If you are losing using the shakes, and you enjoy them, then by all means keep drinking them, especially if they help you to stay with this woe. I work a lot of hours and I totally understand how difficult it is to prepare meals sometimes. I get a take out omelette from waffle house at least half the time on my way to work.

teresamay
Thu, Mar-25-04, 19:14
It doesn't look you are eating a lot of food, maybe up some of your quantities..you can eat a few more cooked veggies, and maybe a bit more on the protein. I understand chrons disease, there are people in my family with it, and your health needs to come before worrying about 20carbs a day.

black57
Thu, Mar-25-04, 22:11
No, keep those potassium levels up. I also learned that you should never allow yourself to get thirsty. When you feel thirst it is because your cells are dying, therefore, if you allow yourself to feel thirsty-it is too late. I do not drink 8 glasses of water but it is only because I don't like it. But, I try not to allow the feeling of thirst.