PDA

View Full Version : Sugar Free Kool-Aid

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Britgrl
Wed, Mar-24-04, 19:27
I bought a package of these at the store, "Cherry" flavored. I'm wondering if this is ok to drink? The ingredients are as followed: Citric Acid, Maltodextrin (from corn), calcium phosphate, aspartame...etc. Yes, I know its best to stay away from aspartame, but it really doesnt seem to bother me. I will occasionaly drink a diet coke, and dont have sugar craving/weight gain. I'm really mostly worried about that "Maltodextrin" ingredient. Its says its from corn! Gosh, that doesnt sound Atkins friendly, does it? Do any of you guys have any information about this ingredient or do any of you guys drink this Sugar Free Kool Aid occassionally? Thanks everyone.
Brittany

Rosie Real
Wed, Mar-24-04, 19:36
I think Maltodextrin is a starchy filler, like what's in sugar free puddings. I don't think we're allowed to have it, but I used to use the pudding a while ago with no problems. I guess just be careful it doesn't give you cravings.

Crystal Light is good and legal if you like that :)

Raleigh
Wed, Mar-24-04, 21:47
Maltodextrin is a filler, it helps make things more pourable. It's added to lots of things. Including the packets of splenda and the spoonable too.

If you are worried about the aspertame, you could make regular koolaid, but use splenda instead of sugar.

kenjenmo
Thu, Mar-25-04, 09:02
I drink about a glass a day with dinner. I would not use it as a substitute for water but it doesn't seem to affect me and offers a nice change of taste than drinking water with my meal.

MyJourney
Thu, Mar-25-04, 15:06
why dont you get the small packets of unsweetened koolaid.

That way you can just mix it with splenda. I do that when I make myself jello.

The unsweetened has no maltodextrin or none of that stuff in it, just good ole color and flavor lol

Marillia
Thu, Mar-25-04, 15:10
I use Splenda when I mix Kool-Aid, myself. :) It works quite well and it mixes a lot easier than sugar! XD