PDA

View Full Version : New to this forum

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

jan04217
Tue, Mar-23-04, 20:56
Hi
Just wanted to say hi to all. I am kind of new at this. I had been on the Atkins diet a looooong time ago. I started about a month ago(before I found this site) but got messed up on it so am now going to try again. I haven't really started yet even though my profile says I have, but I knew if I didn't do my profile I never would so did it ahead of time.
I have a question. I am going in the hospital the middle of April and was wondering if I should wait till I get out before starting or if I should start this diet now. I am concerned about being on low carb and being in the hospital at the same time and maybe not being able to eat right while in there. Any input on this would be more than welcome right now. I am kind of on the fence on this. I like the diet very much as I do not have cravings while on it. That is all I can think of right now. The question I asked has had me coming and going wondering what to do. Thanks for any input you can give.

Jan

Rosie Real
Tue, Mar-23-04, 21:03
Hi there Jan :)

I think maybe you're right about the hospital, but that's just my feeling. Hope it's nothing serious. :)

jan04217
Tue, Mar-23-04, 21:24
Thanks Rosie for your quick reply. I am having surgery on my neck vertabre c2 thru c6 and expect to be in for three days, that is what made me concerned about eating the hospital food. Maybe I will do what I can now and if I find when I get out I will just go right back on induction again. Good plan or no?
How often does everybody weight themselves and record it? I have a tendency to weigh every morning, maybe I shouldn't.
Could someone tell me a couple of repared salad dressings that are legal. I only have found one so far and that was a ceaser salad dressing. I don't like oil and vinegar.
Thanks sorry to ask so many questions right off the bat.

Jan

Fridaylove
Wed, Mar-24-04, 12:14
You may want to wait till you are out of the hospital to do the LC thing, although it never hurts to start now and change your way of thinking...

For salad dressings, I use Blue-Cheese (the cheap Kroger brand)...I have also used Caesar and Oil and Vinegar. I also used some Honey Mustard (a kind that had a low carb count) but I wouldn't recommend that to anyone (that was my little cheat)

Raleigh
Wed, Mar-24-04, 14:07
welcome :) good luck on your surgery. I think starting now would be ok, then make the best choices you can while in the hospital. Maybe a family member could bring you in food that would be LC if the hospital choices are not.

eric909
Wed, Mar-24-04, 16:12
welcome to the forum http://users.adelphia.net/~ecountz/welcome.gif

jan04217
Wed, Mar-24-04, 19:03
Thank you all for your warm welcomes. I have decided to go with the Low carb now and take my chances in the hospital, and if I foul up bad I will just restart again when I get home.
When you want to put your weight loses on here could someone explain just how to do this? I think I know but don't want to do it till I know for sure.
Also does anyone use the almond flour? If so do you like it? How many almonds does it take to make one cup of flour? Can you use this on the induction stage of the program? Thanks
Jan

Patty Grau
Tue, Mar-30-04, 18:01
I think we have to stay away from nuts on induction--well, it said so in the "official" Atkins journal I am using.

Enjoy all you can!

ACFPerder
Tue, Mar-30-04, 19:32
Welcome and good luck on your surgery.

I don't think the hospital will go for the idea of someone bringing you food. Besides, you will more than likely be paying for meals.

AC

DianaO
Tue, Mar-30-04, 19:35
Welcome... Yeah Most hospitals arent LC friendly

jan04217
Wed, Mar-31-04, 09:48
I knew I wouldn't be able to be low carb in hospital but what I am doing right now is doing the best I can on here but seem to be staying in one spot. But hey I figure I am not gaining at least. I am, I guess you could say getting ready for when I get out and then can really buckle down the way I should, by now trying out recipes from here and getting menus ready for true induction when I get back. I knew if I didn't register now I would just keep on being real bad and I didn't want to do that.
The one big fault I have is writing my journal. I am not sure which it is either being lazy and not wanting to do it or not just sure exactly what I should write down. Maybe a little of both.
A big question for me is how does one stop themselves from testing out the goods when they are baking cookies for the other people in the house? When it comes to that I have absolutely no willpower but do not want to eat them. I can't deprive other people of their eating just because I have no willpower.
Sorry this is long today.
Jan

Patty Grau
Wed, Mar-31-04, 15:21
For me, I would either NOT bake cookies while you still crave them, OR when the desire to eat some hits, just have something you are allowed, for a snack instead.

Maybe something sweet would do the trick, like a cup of tea with splenda, or a small serving of sugar free jello.

I am using my (paper) journal for planning what i will have that day, such as snacks.

Are you in induction? Are you craving sweets as much as before?

jan04217
Thu, Apr-01-04, 08:38
Yes I am on induction (or will be strictly when I get out of the hospital) right now as I said I am on it but not strictly induction as I am trying out differnt recipes for when I get out and can do it properly. I want to have everything I need for recipes,menus,proper snacks etc. ready to go at the time I need them. I am only doing it enough to keep my weight where it is for now. That is why I am getting all the info I can to be ready. Are you allowed sugarfree jello on induction. No I don't have all the cravings hardly at all, or I should say almost never. Also I am not quite clear on how much is too much protien. I don't want to go above what it should be. Guess that is all the questions for now but am sure I will have more later.

Jan

Patty Grau
Thu, Apr-01-04, 09:53
Hi Jan,

After reading Protein Power and the Atkins Diet Revolution, I beleive and have found that I can
have all the protein I want, as long as my carbs are controlled, and I will not gain weight.

What made me gain were desserts!