PDA

View Full Version : Question for those who have lost 50+ pounds

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Bipley
Tue, Mar-23-04, 13:13
For those who have lost 50-75 pounds or more....

What does it feel like? Do you notice lots of differences? Do you feel better? The same? Does it feel different to walk? Sit? Move around in any way? What's the #1 change you have noticed that makes it all worth it OTHER than how you look? Even if you aren't done losing weight but have lost some of it, what does it feel like?

Hilary M
Tue, Mar-23-04, 13:19
What does it feel like? GREAT!

I do notice a big difference in the way I move, walk, etc. I love being able to cross my legs without having to hoist one up by the ankle with my hand. I feel much more ladylike this way! I feel so much better, and have noticed less heartburn and fewer back aches from dropping some extra weight.

I still have 30 pounds to lose, and I still see a lot of extra fat on my body, so I can't say I'm done yet. But when I look in the mirror and all I see is fat, I pull out some old pictures of myself and I can't believe it's the same person.

The biggest change has been in my confidence. I catch a glimpse of myself in a mirror and think "I look hot today!" and the rest of my day goes great. I get more compliments from coworkers and friends, and more admiring looks from strangers, and although that's a little weird, it feels great. I think it's a result of my newfound confidence more than even just how I look. If that makes sense.

Paris
Tue, Mar-23-04, 13:24
I am down 86 pounds and it feels amazing! I wake up every day and feel very small (even though I have another 30-some pounds to lose) so much so that it can be disconcerting. I can see and feel bones, muscles and tendons that I never knew were there. I lost weight in my feet, ankles, wrists, hands and fingers. My face is shaped differently - it is more oval than I ever knew.

Little things are easier. I can walk farther, run a bit, take the stairs without thinking twice, dance around with my nephews. I comptemplate activities that I never even had a spark of interest in before - kumbia dancing, rafting, soccor, hockey and sprinting - all them seem within my reach now.

There are a lot of privileges that come with being thinner too. I can go into any boutique out there and not have it thought that I am there to buy a gift. I am not stared at when I go to the grocery or gym. I am just me - not the fat lady.

HTH! :rheart: Paris

Hilary M
Tue, Mar-23-04, 13:29
I am just me - not the fat lady.

This is so true. What a great quote!

Volgal
Tue, Mar-23-04, 13:37
[QUOTE=Hilary M]
being able to cross my legs ~ less heartburn ~ fewer back aches
QUOTE]

:dazzle: :Party: Oh this is the way I feel too. :dazzle: :dazzle:

I have lost 57 pounds and am not even half-way to goal ~ however, being able to cross my legs in church (or elsewhere), no heartburn (especially waking up gagging in the middle of the night from reflux) ~ and back aches (from being so heavy),

But, I too think that the most rewarding fact is the self confidence I have gained in myself.
I KNOW that I will reach goal and I KNOW I will stay at goal when I get there.

It may not seem to be coming off as fast as
it did in the beginning, but, it is coming off for life.

Add to that ~

Being able to go into a store and actually buying clothes in the regular section rather than in the PLUS SIZES really gets the motivation going ~

Being able to actually see cheek bones in my face ~

Watching people stare at me and wondering if it is my new haircut or what that makes me look so different (they were always staring at me when I was fat and trying not to look like they were disgusted) ~

AND, I think the very best of all (with the exception of my husband calling me his HERO) :lol: :lol: is the "no comments" I am not getting from those co-workers that wish they could be losing like I am and are totally jealous!! :lol: :lol:

jedswife
Tue, Mar-23-04, 13:42
after having lost 65 lbs. i still probably have 20 more to lose but the difference is substantial.

when i was seriously overweight i had myself convinced that i was big boned etc. anything to try to justify the weight gain. after atkins and losing so much weight (with more to go) i realize that now i actually am PETITE. i never would have considered myself petite.

it does take some getting used to - this not being fat. people pay attention to me more now - so much so that it is unnerving - nobody gave me a second glance when i was more overweight. it is a little hard to get used to but i am managing - hee hee.

Birddog
Tue, Mar-23-04, 13:43
I lost 65 lbs. What I noticed most is I'm not tried all the time. I always felt exhausted. Now I get by with less sleep and feel great. I have more energy to play with my kids and to get things done. Not to mention that my self esteem has improved. I too, feel more like a lady and crossing my legs is a plus. I am still the same person I was before my weight loss, but now I'm a thinner me. I love the woe. :agree:

KIDBXRS
Tue, Mar-23-04, 14:10
I am a new person! I have lost 60 lb.
I love that I can cross my legs, I can wear normal size clothes now. Sears still sends me the plus size catelog and I love that I can't wear any of that now. I have so much more energy than I ever have had. I feel pretty and sexy. I never thought I could have done this I was miss no will power in the flesh. The fact that I have so much will power for this diet still evern shocks me to this day. I love it!!!!

skinnyshel
Tue, Mar-23-04, 14:15
I've lost 50+ lbs and have kept it off for almost a year now. Ditto what everybody said about confidence and realising that my lower back pains and knee pains and foot problems were ALL weight related! They went away when the weight did!! Yippee!!

mrschmelz
Tue, Mar-23-04, 14:19
Lets see.........things I can do now.

Walk up a flight of stairs without huffing. I can run a mile in about 9 minutes(I had never even been able to run a whole mile in my life before this year). The best thing? #When my best friend was giving me a hug one day and she said "I can get my arms all the way around you now". Before that I never realized I was so big that people couldn't get their arms all the way around me.

There are some downsides though that you fight through. As you get closer and closer to your goal weight you obviously start to slow down on losing weight. That can be VERY frustrating because it's very easy to forget where you came from and only see how you are right now. At times I have found myself being very upset because I am still "fat" and forgetting that at New years of last year I was 340 lbs of lard that couldn't really stand up more than 15 minutes at a time without getting tired. I got really far off track toward the end of last year and really made no progress. But this year I have started a pretty strict exercise routine that thus far I have been sticking to........the goal is to hit that 225 mark by years end :)

Justjen72
Tue, Mar-23-04, 14:20
I have lost 64 lbs and made it to goal. I love the being noticed. I swear before no one would look me in the eye. It seems like I was invisible. :( Now people I don't even know are smiling at me and waving. It is a strange feeling.

I like that I am able to go out more. Before I was too embarrassed to go out on a date with my husband. Now I am lining up the babysitters at least once a month. :)

I also love that most clothes are too big now. I have to look hard for the size 4s.

I definatly have a lot more self confidence. It feels pretty darn good.

mel92
Tue, Mar-23-04, 15:14

What does it feel like? Do you notice lots of differences? Do you feel better? The same? Does it feel different to walk? Sit? Move around in any way? What's the #1 change you have noticed that makes it all worth it OTHER than how you look? Even if you aren't done losing weight but have lost some of it, what does it feel like?

Well, I'm not sure really. I lost 70lbs and to me, the changes were pretty subtle. It wasn't like I would drop a size overnight, but slowly felt clothes get looser till they were almost falling off me. I definately feel better! Yes it does feel different to walk, almost like theres a bounce in my step and I'm walking taller than before. Sitting is pretty awesome, I can actually cross my legs comfortably, and my foot doesn't stick way out into other peoples paths. I love the fact that exercising and bending down to pick things up is easier. The #1 change that I've noticed that makes it all worth it is all the wonderful compliments I've gotten (not to mention flirtations :lol: ) and stamina I have.

:)melissa

ebsf1
Tue, Mar-23-04, 15:25
I've lost about 80 pounds and the change in my life has been fantastic.

I have a hell of a lot more energy and doing little things no longer tires me out. My self confidence is sooooo much higher now.

The weight loss didn't happen overnight either. It's been 18 months of going to the gym most mornings, watching what I eat etc. I've learnt discipline and the benefits of that have spilled over into other aspects of my life as well.

I still have about 20 pounds or so to go but I already feel great. I can go into shops and buy clothes that normal people wear...damn that feels good. I used to hate clothes shopping as I could never find clothes that fit.

And the great thing about Atkins is that I still eat well. I don't have sugary snacks etc. but I wouldn't be able to be eating those on a low fat diet either. I've found that being on Atkins I have no real inclination to cheat...whereas with low fat I was cheating a lot cos I was so hungry most of the time.

I'd say that the biggest benefit of the loss has been my acceptance of myself. I am a much happier person now than I was before. I used to hate myself for being so big. Now I realize that I can do something about it and I am. Damn life is good. ;)

Scarlet 96
Tue, Mar-23-04, 15:31
Thanks for this thread everyone. I really needed some inspiration today and sure enough, there you all were. You have all done such a wonderful job.

lynneuk
Tue, Mar-23-04, 15:40
I have lost almost 50lbs so far and still have a long way to go. However, there are significant changes to my life already. I can now fit into some 14's so I can shop anywhere! I actually feel nervous going into some of the stores at the mall I've been going to for the past 9 years, as I've never been in most of the stores before!
I love that I don't really stick out from the crowd and I'm not always the fattest person anymore.
I feel comfortable meeting new people and don't assume they're judging me by my size.
In general, I just feel healthier, fitter from all the working out I now do and optimistic that I can do this and never go back to the darkside!!
Good luck on your LC journey.
Lynne

bernie31
Tue, Mar-23-04, 17:10
the number one thing i love is that i can "feel" myself again... i can put my hands on my hip bones, i can feel my ribs when i lay down... my knees touch when i lie down on my side... i start to feel uncomfortable when sitting too long because i can feel the bones where my legs meet my behind... the insides of my ankles are always scratched because my walk hasn't had time to adjust, my inner thighs were so fat i guess i compensated by making my feet go inwards when i walked so as not to appear like i was waddling, so now the heels of my shoes always hit the inside of my ankles... i love feeling my collarbones, my wrist bones... of course, being able to cross my legs is always a plus...and i'm only halfway to my goal (another 50 to go). so yes it feels extremely different, and even if no one told me how much better i look (even though they have) i feel so much more attractive just by how i feel.

3shewolf8
Tue, Mar-23-04, 19:26
I have lost 80 pounds, and feel better than I have in my entire life!! Reading the responses to this question brought tears to my eyes because I love life now!! I was a size 22 plus, and now am a size 6 or 8, I love to shop in all of the stores and not in just specialty dept.'s. I love the attention that I get, I never felt beautiful until now. I get the biggest kick out of people not recognizing me!! My drivers license pic is 4 years old (I have to get it renewed this year), and I have been told by more than one clerk at stores, banks, etc..that I really should get a new pic on my license, and by the way,,how much weight have you lost?? But, I think the best thing is being able to fit into places that I could never fit into before, like booths in resturants, tight places, and tight clothes!! I did reach my next goal, and got my belly button pierced this weekend, and I went out and bought some low cut jeans, and some high cut shirts to wear :yay: I love every minute of every day!! Just believe in yourself, and you will reach your goal too. I still have some to loose, but I can see the end of the tunnel. :lol:

KristyC
Tue, Mar-23-04, 19:26
It really does feel great...it is hard to describe. I feel like a brand new person TOTALLY. The coolest thing is being able to run again (I run 2-4 miles per day) and not getting tired at the end of the day. My energy level is great now!!!

NYorker
Tue, Mar-23-04, 21:00
I have no business posting in this thread but I just had to say how MOVED I am by all of you and how inspirational this all is. Way to go all of you! You guys rock.
One day, I hope to be a member of the 50 plus club too.

ItsTheWooo
Tue, Mar-23-04, 21:19

Well my begining weight is much higher than yours, so the difference that I feel might be a lot bigger.

It feels *soooo* much different to be relatively normal weight. When I was 280, I couldn't really cross my legs. Walking for any length of time was stressful. I felt extremely self conscious. I felt disgusting and ugly because my body was so unnaturally misshapen. People treated me like a non-person. I didn't care how I looked because I felt so crappy. It was so depressing to not be able to wear my sisters clothes, to go into a store and buy clothes, or to worry that I might break something I sit/stand on.

Today I have no mobility problems at all. I love to walk around, I even run now (just got done with 20 minute run and 40 minutes of cardio total. That sounds like nothing to brag about for most, but from where I am comming from - getting exhausted after a 5 minute walk - a 20 minute run in one session is a big deal to me). My feet don't hurt when I have to stand. I feel so much lighter.
When I have to stand on a chair or something, I get a reflex feeling like "oh no I might break it" because I was so fat for so long. Then I realize "oh yea, I'm not really fat anymore". :) It is the best feeling in the world, because it reminds you just how much being really fat lowered my quality of life.
Now when I go into a store I not only know they have my size, but it isn't the biggest size either.

I am not as afraid of being singled out and mocked publically for being fat as I used to be, although I still do have really low self confidence. When I pass by a group of teenagers I still cower in fear expecting one of them to say something about how fat I am, even though I am not that fat anymore.

There is nothing in the world better than being healthy and thin. No amount of greasy, chewy, salty, crunchy junk food is worth it.

SusanKH
Wed, Mar-24-04, 08:32
What a great thread - so motivational. I noticed that a whole lot of you had to put in a lot of gym time to slim down. That is a hard thing for me. Once I get there I"m fine, but getting there is so hard. I'm a working mother, on committees in my neighborhood association, church activities, and because both of our brothers died young, my husband and I are now only children who are totally responsible for the care of our elderly, widowed mothers. Does anyone have any advice, inspiration, motivational thoughts for me?

angieK
Wed, Mar-24-04, 09:12
Susan:
Instead of trying to get to a gym, start with a 20 minute walk a few times a week. I go right after work, i don't go home because once i am there there is someone wanting me to do things for them and my walk gets negleted. So I walk right after work where no one can bother me and whatever is waiting at home can wait.
angie

lynneuk
Wed, Mar-24-04, 13:44
SusanKH,
I think if I had to go and drive to a gym I would never work out! I go down to the basement after my son and DH leave in the morning. I have a treadmill and a bowflex machine,also several tapes of the Firm to work out to. Another option I enjoy is Fit TV which is a health and fitness channel which runs all day so you can work out anytime. My favorite show is at 7.30am every day. It's called In shape with Sharon Mann. She is awesome. Not one of those hideous cheerleader types! No offence to any cheerleaders who may be reading this!! She does different things everyday from step to pilates to yoga or kickboxing. You name it she does it! So you don't get bored.
Just an idea. I don't feel like my day is complete unless I've worked out in the morning. And that is something I never thought I would ever say!!
A quick shower and I can be out the door in no time.

Justjen72
Wed, Mar-24-04, 14:16
I do my exercise in the evening. I went to walmart and bought a cheap $80 stationery bike. I ride it each night after I put the kids to bed. I have two kids ages 2 and 9 and a 3rd grade teacher. I hear you on the time issues, but I had to make the time to exercise. Me time is just as important as everything else. :)

freckles
Wed, Mar-24-04, 15:32
I have lost 56 pbs in 10 months. I have about 20-30 to go. It feels fabulous, of course. I have more energy...I'm not nearly as lazy. I am lighter on my feet - and off. I can bring my toes up to my chest when I'm polishing them instead of struggling to bend down and just glopping it on. I can reach my WHOLE back in the shower without using a long-handled brush. I can shop in the normal sizes and find really nice clothes that make me look and feel attractive instead of like a woman wearing a tent. I have bones I have not felt in years...and muscles too. (I didn't start exercising until recently - at about a 50 lb. loss.) My face is thin - always thought I had a round face. I'm actually considering doing things I've NEVER considered doing - like roller-blading. All-in-all there are major differences....there's no comparison at all...I'm a totally new person.

The number one change that makes it all worth it besides how I look?...That I'm succeeding...I've proven to myself that I can do it and I'm confident that I can continue eating healthy for life. I'm a success...where as before I was just a lazy fat person - and that's exactly what I thought.

Quest
Fri, Apr-09-04, 06:18
The changes I feel are not as dramatic as some people above, but there is a definite quality of life improvement for me after losing 66 pounds (I still want to lose another 50). At my highest weight I was uncomfortable fitting into seats at the theater and on planes, and I was even having to squeeze behind the wheel of the car (my weight was, and still in, concentrated in my stomach). I am now closer to the weight I maintained for many years (c.170)--overweight for my height but much more able to move within normal realms. I feel like I have reclaimed back the self I was used to, even though that self isn't thin. In fact, when I get below 150 I may have the experience some people write about of not recognizing myself. That will be interesting.
Also, I know I have a lot more stamina now. I just got back from a trip to Rome where I walked, walked, an walked some more. My husband was impressed with what I could do. And best of all, I lost a couple of pounds while on vacation, with the extra walking and eating gourmet LC at restaurants (I skipped pasta but had delicious prosciutto or seafood starters).

Masaki
Sun, Apr-18-04, 07:32
Ditto on what everyone else has been saying. I am from a different standpoint than most of you, being a young, male college student, but I came from the same place! I have always been fat, and made the same excuses to myself and others for a long time, but not any more :)

I can see my huge, built quadriceps and calves from lugging all that weight around for years. I can see my pectoral muscles, deltoids on my back and trapezius (shoulder muscles). I can see a handsome face that was hiding and being ignored by women all these years. I feel great! I can run, jump and swim like never before, I can buy all the cool clothes without feeling like I'm going to bust a seam, and the boost to my confidence is absolutely the best part. I can go into job interviews knowing that I look the part, sharp as heck in my Banana Republic suit.

I am not quite to my goal yet, but let me assure you that you will see and feel changes every step of the way!

loserbaby
Sun, Apr-18-04, 21:17
I have lost 80+ pounds. I am more than half-way there. Mostly I just feel normal again. I can finally do the things I love. I am finally starting to look on the outside the way I feel on the inside. Also, losing this much gives you a great sense of control. I finally feel like I am in charge of how my life is going.

Libbyfcr
Tue, Apr-20-04, 21:45
I think the fact that I had lost 50 pounds hit me like a brick.

One day I was moving bags of dog food from my front yard into the storage room in my house. After moving about 2000 pounds worth..... in.... GUESS WHAT.... 50 pound bags I was exhausted. My back ached, my knees were tired and my arms were sore. While I was taking a breather it hit me...... 50 pounds. I had lost 50 pounds and hauling this stupid dog food back and forth was just like hauling 50 pounds around on my body.... only that was all the time. This was just for a short period of time. This was the moment when I realized how much of a difference it had made in my life.

Life is good......

Live it.

Libby

stephiewil
Wed, May-05-04, 15:16
Thanks so much for starting this thread. It is very motivating and really made me sit up and take notice. I have never lost more than about 10 to 14 pounds ever on any diet I have tried, and than always go up after I feel off, so now I am serious and started at my highest weight ever. I cannot wait until I can say I have lost 20 pounds, 50 will be a slice of heaven for me. I thought I was so huge at 180 pounds, but having sat at 241, I look at that weight so much differantly. Losing 50 from where I am now, will be back at approx the 180 and I can't wait.
I am so excited about the future reading these posts !!! I want this so bad !!! Stephie :)

kebaldwin
Mon, May-10-04, 08:53
Fill a backpack with 50 pounds and haul it around all day and then take it off. That is what it feels like.

UpTheHill
Sun, Jun-06-04, 05:46
The combination of less weight and no more blood sugar problems has ended up taking a real load off my mind.

At heavier weights, throughout the day there were the constant background thoughts about whether or not I'd be capable of particular activities. If I needed to sit on the floor, how hard would it be to get up? If I needed to run for some reason, how huffy and puffy would I get, or how much chance did I have of falling? When I stood up after sitting, how much would my knees hurt? If I over exherted, would I get weak and dizzy? This unconscious constant dialog of caution was always there as a reminder of the all of the little movement risks and discomforts of being really heavy.

Now the background dialog that goes with movement activities is one of discovery and capability. Wow, my legs muscles feel strong going up this hill. Mmmm, that fresh air feels good when I'm walking. Hooray, that steep downhill drop-off on my hiking path was fun and easy with my improved balance and mobility. Oops, fell down on a steep slick slope - but wow, that's not such a big deal with this much less body mass hitting the ground. Hooray some more, I haven't eaten in 7 - 10 hours and still feel strong and can function as I need to.

It is the same kind of feeling as when you have good healthy family relationships, or when you have your financial life in order, or when you have your house clean and well organized. The peace of mind of having another major aspect of my life free from worries, cautions, or aprehension is possibly the number one change from losing this much weight.

Lynda

nikotyme
Wed, Jun-09-04, 10:39
I've lost 53 lbs in a little under 3 months and the change is incredible so far, even though I have twice that much and a little more to lose.

The first thing I noticed was my breathing, I no longer gasp and huff and puff after walking short distances. I sleep much better, not waking up from the feeling that I'm choking.

Next was the pain in my knees, it is still there but so much less that now I can skip taking the arthritis meds I've been taking for the past 10 years.

I'm sure the next 50 will bring even more and better changes and the next 50 after that...it's the best I've felt about myself in a long long time, being able to commit to this WOE and being faithful to it, makes me feel proud of myself, which is a nice change.

cranial33
Tue, Jun-15-04, 23:09
How do you explain how good it feels to no longer have acid reflux? How do you describe how it feels to no longer have to take high blood pressure medication? It amazes me how much difference losing 65lbs (as of today) can make when it comes to quality of life. I know most people would answer your questions primarily regarding physical appearance. I think the major changes for me were in day to day health. To not worry about my blood pressure, or one of the most horrible ways to wake up during the dead of the night with reflux, would be the most important result of my weight loss. Looking better is a wonderful by-product!

easylyvin
Wed, Jun-16-04, 14:21
My husband has lost 60 pounds. He just struts around like a proud rooster now! This weekend he was trying on his old clothes and they were falling off of him. He was so amazed and happy! He doesn't fall asleep on the couch anymore, more energy, and has taken more interest in his dress and appearance. He has always been a people person, but you can see the additional self confidence he exudes. I definately see a great difference!

Aim2BeThin
Thu, Sep-23-04, 18:42
I've lost 53 lbs in a little under 3 months and the change is incredible so far, even though I have twice that much and a little more to lose.

The first thing I noticed was my breathing, I no longer gasp and huff and puff after walking short distances. I sleep much better, not waking up from the feeling that I'm choking.

Next was the pain in my knees, it is still there but so much less that now I can skip taking the arthritis meds I've been taking for the past 10 years.

I'm sure the next 50 will bring even more and better changes and the next 50 after that...it's the best I've felt about myself in a long long time, being able to commit to this WOE and being faithful to it, makes me feel proud of myself, which is a nice change.
Wow! I am REALLY impressed by your commitment and success!! My goal is to lose 50 to 60 lbs by the end of the year. I have developed Adult weight influenced Asthma, as well as acid reflux, sleep apnea, and borderline blood sugar readings. I am new the Low-Carb scene and I want to know what was your regimen for losing the weight so quickly? How quickly did you start to see results and what was the hardest carb for you to give up? I am a chocolate, bread and pasta person, and I am ready to buy a straight-jacket to keep myself from going for the carbs. Reading your stats and posts have been incentive for me and make me determined to take this seriously, because I realize that I can meet my goal in a short time as proven by your success.

kebaldwin
Fri, Sep-24-04, 03:31
I have developed Adult weight influenced Asthma, as well as acid reflux, sleep apnea, and borderline blood sugar readings.

I started Jan of 2003 so it is hard for me to remember back that far ... but I had many little health problems also. I had most of those problems (chronic bronchitis instead of asthma) and they are all gone. I use to take over the counter medications everyday and they wanted to put me on several prescriptions everyday.

The only real problem that I remember is that for the first 3 to 6 months -- when I ate carbs (cheated) the acid reflux was 10X worse than ever. Now I never have acid reflux -- I can eat sausage, hot sauce, you name it -- and never get acid reflux. Well, I think that if I were to eat a lot of sugary foods (which I don't do anymore) then I assume that all those health problems (including acid reflux) would come back.

One of the best things is all the energy you get. I use to want to sleep 12 hours per day and then move to the couch. I thought that I had that chronic fatigue syndrome. Now, when i don't cheat, I am up at 5 AM and go until 10 or 11 PM. Before my mind pushed my body -- and I felt the stress from it. Now my body pulls my mind and I don't feel the stress from it.

I am new the Low-Carb scene and I want to know what was your regimen for losing the weight so quickly?

Just follow the diet, try to keep your total carb intake as low as possible, cheat as little as possible, exercise (if you are 50+ pounds -- just walk -- don't try jogging), and take supplements like Atkins Basic 3 and lots of Omega 3s fatty acids.

How quickly did you start to see results and what was the hardest carb for you to give up?

It took about six months for me to lose 50 pounds and to get rid of all those symptoms. I lost 20 pounds first month, and then did not lose for about 2 months and then dropped another 30 pounds I have not lost any weight for the last year -- but I continue to lose inches and build muscle. For the last year I have been readjusting my hormones and building muscle.

am a chocolate, bread and pasta person, and I am ready to buy a straight-jacket to keep myself from going for the carbs.

I actually use to get a "buzz" from eating a lot of bread like pizza and subs. I don't miss them anymore -- I do miss chocolate. To help with the cravings -- I use to eat my way out of them. Just start eating so much (zero carb foods) until I thought I was going to explode and could not possibly eat a chocolate cake even if it was sitting right in front of me. Fat will help curb your cravings. Get plenty of the Omega 3 fatty acids (fish oil, borrage oil, flaxseed oil, safflower oil). These will help curb cravings and are good for you. Some people take huge amounts of these. I take about six per day and find that they help a lot to curb cravings. Chromium is also good to curb cravings.

I would suggest that you get pork rinds -- because some people can not stay on the diet because they miss "crunching" on things. Pork rinds give you the crunch are are zero carbs.

Reading your stats and posts have been incentive for me and make me determined to take this seriously, because I realize that I can meet my goal in a short time as proven by your success.

I replied to let you know that it is not just one person that has "been there -done that". The diet works, but you have to follow the diet.

Good luck. Think about all the problems you will no longer have to deal with.

Chris1966
Sun, Sep-26-04, 21:01
Glimpsing life beyond this single and sometimes dominant issue... :idea:
When I got to 220 it was nice. Dropping below 200 was really odd - almost an anticlimax. Today I briefly happened to see 179! (before drinking a load of water). It is increasingly anticlimactic, but in the best of ways. One begins to think beyond the weight - I have begun increasingly to realize and love the way I can now focus on a wider set of health goals - e.g. getting bodyfat really down there (9%?). Being fit again. Knowing more about what is going on in my body, etc.
...and then suddenly, as was suggested before by comparison to other goals, you can think about so many more possibilities. For example, what are you going to do when you hit and maintain the goal? How much fun are you going to have running, or cycling, or kayaking, or sailing, or all of the above while feeling really, really good? It begs the next goal: rather than just "being" with all this new capability, what would be the best way to have a better life with it? - and the many answers for that are beyond the scope of the question :)

HLFAN
Mon, Jan-10-05, 22:30
Tonight I climbed a 5 foot fence and back over again with no trouble. Can't believe how easy it was. Of course I haven't done that in years! (don't ask why I did it) :lol:

cranial33
Tue, Jan-11-05, 08:30
I know why you did it...because you could. I did something similar when I lost my wieght. I climbed from the lower deck to the upper deck at our cabin for no other reason than the fact that I could do it.

HLFAN
Tue, Jan-11-05, 12:13
Hi Cranial 33, what a lovely pup you have. No, I climbed the fence to catch a family of 5 dwarf rabbits that some brain dead idiots abandoned in the park by my house. Thank God my fab daughter was there. She works for a vet and we managed to catch all five. They were so thirsty they came for the water. Can you believe any one could be so stupid. Well, we got them before the foxes or before they froze to death. :wave:

HLFAN
Tue, Jan-11-05, 18:40
This is my new puppy, Berrie. She's a little devil, keeping me going 24/7 :yay:

nikotyme
Tue, Jan-11-05, 19:04
aww she is just too precious your Berrie, what breed is she?

loosin29
Tue, Jan-11-05, 23:44
had to do a quick reply to this one, Ive lost a little over 100 lbs.
If this tells you anything, I feel like I am just now at age 30 truly living my life for the first time. Still not at goal yet, but almost there. I love getting to know the new me every single day.

HLFAN
Wed, Jan-12-05, 09:21
That is a baby pic. Berrie is now 12 months and very white and muddy all the time. She is a bichon frise with the heart of a terrier!! :lol:

Dear loosin29, wow, I'm battling my 40. You have really changed your life. All the things you can do now. When I was over 200 I really struggled with some day to day issues. I sure you must feel great. Congratulations and keep up the good work.

rissa
Wed, Jan-12-05, 15:19
I can't wait to hit this point. I lost 30 and then tried to wear a skirt to work and it literally fell off me - I was so excited I danced around the house in my underwear and didn't care :) It was such a feeling of freedom! I can't wait to give away all my clothes and buy all new ones :)

cranial33
Wed, Jan-12-05, 20:46
You have a cute puppy. My dog is 10 years old but still acts like a puppy. She does get up a little slower in the morning the day after a hard play. I think exercise will keep her young. I hope so anyway. She's the best dog I've ever had, and I got her at the shelter.

I just turned 34 today and I'm working toward my "under 200" goal. Only 14 lbs to go!

HLFAN
Fri, Jan-14-05, 12:26
:wave: I have a lots of dogs and of course of loved them. My Casey died last year and I miss her so much. The dog I miss most was a Belgian Sheppard mix who looks alot like your dog. I still dream about her and it's been 25 years! One night I got out of bed and told my daughter to go and let Tapi in, she was scratching at the screen door! Of course Tapi died before my daughter was born.

With some luck even a big dog will do well until 15 years or so. Then it seems to be arthritis etc. So you are right, lots of excercise and it's really important not to let your dog get overweight. Just like us. She is lovely. :agree:

Justwander
Sat, Jan-15-05, 22:13
Wow! Thanks everyone for sharing your success. It's incredible how this has given me some hope that I can do it as well. Tomorrow will be a great day!

edie
Mon, Feb-21-05, 09:32
I got off my blood pressure meds! I only Low Carbed to loose weight, so this was an unexpected delight!

GinaLeanne
Sat, Feb-26-05, 01:58
I read many posts here and all of you are an inspiration, I wanted to get this back on the main board for others who need encouragement, thanks!!

kebaldwin
Sat, Feb-26-05, 06:25
I got off my blood pressure meds! I only Low Carbed to loose weight, so this was an unexpected delight!

Yes. If you are only low carbing to loose weight -- you are missing many of the benefits that you signed up for.

More energy (do more every day)
Off most prescription drugs
Most health problems are gone
Greater mood, outlook

carabajalk
Wed, Aug-31-05, 14:01
I feel a difference in many things my knees used to hurt they don't anymore,I don't get winded when I walk up stairs, I can wear cutie clothes lol I feel way confident about myself and people notice that.

Scarlet007
Tue, Oct-11-05, 11:11
Thank you for this post, it has really motivated me today! I cant wait until I can tell people I have lost 50 pounds or more. Thanks again!!

Linda85
Tue, Aug-07-07, 05:07
Looks like this thread hasn't been posted to in years. It's such an interesting topic. I'm just over half way to goal, having taken off 87 lbs. and still have 77 lbs. to go. Right now, I'm at a point where some things are great and some things are funny.

It's nice being able to sit in a restaurant booth and not have my stomach squashed by the table. It's great having a Blood Glucose of 96 instead of running in the 350-to-450 range.

It was funny when I finally had to throw out my old pair of size 34 blue slacks, after they literally fell down around my ankles one evening at home (thank goodness) by myself, as I walked across the kitchen. Laughed so hard I had tears in my eyes. What a great "problem" to have lost so much weight your pants fall off!

Following the last 30 pounds or so that came off, I have to be careful that my rings don't fall off my hands (it's happened more than once). Have to either put a plastic sizer on them or just bend the ring fingers when I'm straightening the bed covers.

The seatbelt on my car now fits AOK. Previously there were times that it seemed difficult getting the seatbelt to click shut. Weighing less makes it it so much nicer now.

Not having to buy clothes from a "large size" catalog is neat. This summer I've noticed I don't seem to sweat (perspire) as much as I used to when I was heavier. My legs don't get chaffed now as they used to. I put the money I used to spend on sweets & junk food, into buying better quality of LC foods. It's easy now to tie shoes. My husband can get his arms around me now which is nice. I have more energy and feel better. Looking forward to continuing to feel even better as more weight comes off. Makes me feel better about myself knowing I'm so much slimmer now, and that I am working hard to eat LC to eventually reach goal.

It's sinking in mentally and emotionally that I can never go back to the old ways of eating. That's taken some adjustment & serious thinking about my life. About giving up junk "food" and chosing to eat healthier LC. If I blow it one meal, I know I can just get right back on it the next meal. I've come too far to not hang in there to the finish line. Really enjoy reading the stories others share and so many of the various threads. What an encouraging resource to be able to turn to, when I need it. Thanks fellow low carbers. Hang in there everyone!

liddie01
Tue, Aug-07-07, 06:09
I've lost 75 and my life is much easier, I have energy that I never had at the higher weights and it is easier to move. at work I fit between places other people don't. I look better in clothes, and even feel comfortable in a bathing suit. My blood sugar is stable and my blood presure is good. I can touch my toes. Shaving my legs and polishing my toenails is no longer a chore. I have more confidence when meeting people, and just went through some job interveiws where I had no problem getting job offers, so the added confidence helped there, too.

pennink
Tue, Aug-07-07, 06:38
I've lost 75 and my life is much easier, I have energy that I never had at the higher weights and it is easier to move. at work I fit between places other people don't. I look better in clothes, and even feel comfortable in a bathing suit. My blood sugar is stable and my blood presure is good. I can touch my toes. Shaving my legs and polishing my toenails is no longer a chore. I have more confidence when meeting people, and just went through some job interveiws where I had no problem getting job offers, so the added confidence helped there, too.

Everything is so much easier! I pulled my foot up to tuck it in to polish my nails (you know, like hugging your knee?) I thought... wow, when was the last time I did this?

AND there's less to shave on my legs!

I fit into seatbelts easier, getting in and out of cars is easier...

I mean, I've got a long way yet to go, but the difference already is substantial.

jschwab
Tue, Aug-07-07, 09:20
I finally get to eat the way I think is healthy and makes me feel good - that's the biggest one; having confidence about food choices. I have lost 55 pounds but I was always in OK shape - could walk long distances, did construction on our house, run for the train without losing my breath if I needed to, etc. I mostly just feel thinner, although some days I don't feel like I've lost weight at all because I am still fairly big.

My hormonal swings are much more in control, I am less angry and annoyed but I still need to work on that alot (I have 3 toddlers). My body was hijacked by 5 pregnancies in 4 years so not being pregnant feels like the bigger change to me than the weight loss (my youngest is 8 months). I have no gastro pain from grains anymore and no reflux which I had very mildly.

I think the big change will come when I lose 50 more pounds. My body, unfortunately. does not change that quickly with weight loss; I have only lost 2 sizes in 55 pounds, for example. Even when I weighed 160 in high school I still had to shop plus size, so I don't know if I will ever get to shop at normal stores, but I am looking forward to it if it comes. My weight runs with the sizes, so at 130 in grade school, I was a size 13/14, at 180 an 18, now at 229 a 22/24. I wish I had more to look forward to in this department.

Janine

Linda85
Wed, Aug-08-07, 06:23
Jschwab, Don't be discouraged. You may surprise yourself as you get closer to goal. As long as you are sticking to the LC way of eating, things (physically) wonderfully seem to have a way of shifting around and improving, as the fat continues burning off.

They say weight will come off with just LC woe alone, but IF you are able to walk or do SOME kind of exercise every week there are lots of folks who have found that it helps in toning up and getting physically more shapely. Sometimes I feel I'd almost rather have dental work done than to do exercise, but I go ahead and try my best to do ten minutes three times a week. That's not much, but it's more than not doing any exercises, especially for me.

My feet & right ankle are very messed up due to diabetes related problems. I hobble around with one or sometimes two quad canes, but am happy to at least be able to navigate on my own, and am glad I have both feet. A doctor told me once 7 years ago that I probably had 6 months or less and I would lose both feet and my lower right leg. I cried. Went home, prayed, and determined that with the Good Lord's help I would NOT lose my feet and my right lower leg. So far, so good.

I can't do jumping jacks. I can't walk on an eliptical machine or even on a treadmill. But you know what, I don't let it keep me down. My mind is made up to do what I can to help myself get fitter and life is good.

I figured out a little routine of about 8 variable execises that I do, sitting in a chair in my living room. A couple of the exercises using a stretchy cord I got at Wal-Mart. Nothing fancy, but it makes me feel good inside to know that I'm pushing as best as I can to get stronger.

My arms have a little definition, muscle-wise, that wasnt' there a year ago. I am proud that I can use my arms to heft myself up to get out of the seat in the sidecar of our Patrol motorcycle. Can't walk very well, but I can step up on a little step-stool and climb into the sidecar. My husband takes my quad cane apart and puts in, with the step-stool, into the trunk on the sidecar. And away we go. He drives because my feet cannot move the motorcycle foot pedals to shift, but I sit there with a big grin on my face, enjoying the wind blowing, having fun leaning into the curves along the road. Appreciating the open-air view of all the surrounding scenery along the road, and though we don't usually go much faster than about 50 or 55 mph, it feels like pure freedom. Freedom from hobbling to get slowly from here to there. Freedom to go like the wind.

Talk about distraction from even thinking about food. It's a new hobby for me. We only got the Patrol the last week of June this summer. Between improved Blood Sugar levels, starting losing weight again on Atkins, and relishing motorcycle riding as a sidecar passenger, I have a lot to smile about lately.

There is nothing that's going to keep me from doing everything in my power to hang in there and eventually reach my goal. I bet you will reach your goal too!

Maybe you can shake things up a bit by taking up a new hobby. Break out of the humdrum. Give it some thought as to a dream you might have or a hope of something different that could bring joy into your life.

Something that's really fun and makes you smile. Take a little time to find a new hobby that helps make life more alive---less focusing on counting carbs and a little more on the good around us. Some folks really enjoy doing some sort of community work to help others----even if it's just reading stories to kids at the library one afternoon a week. Good luck!

jschwab
Wed, Aug-08-07, 14:21
Jschwab, Don't be discouraged. You may surprise yourself as you get closer to goal. As long as you are sticking to the LC way of eating, things (physically) wonderfully seem to have a way of shifting around and improving, as the fat continues burning off.

They say weight will come off with just LC woe alone, but IF you are able to walk or do SOME kind of exercise every week there are lots of folks who have found that it helps in toning up and getting physically more shapely. Sometimes I feel I'd almost rather have dental work done than to do exercise, but I go ahead and try my best to do ten minutes three times a week. That's not much, but it's more than not doing any exercises, especially for me.

My feet & right ankle are very messed up due to diabetes related problems. I hobble around with one or sometimes two quad canes, but am happy to at least be able to navigate on my own, and am glad I have both feet. A doctor told me once 7 years ago that I probably had 6 months or less and I would lose both feet and my lower right leg. I cried. Went home, prayed, and determined that with the Good Lord's help I would NOT lose my feet and my right lower leg. So far, so good.

I can't do jumping jacks. I can't walk on an eliptical machine or even on a treadmill. But you know what, I don't let it keep me down. My mind is made up to do what I can to help myself get fitter and life is good.

I figured out a little routine of about 8 variable execises that I do, sitting in a chair in my living room. A couple of the exercises using a stretchy cord I got at Wal-Mart. Nothing fancy, but it makes me feel good inside to know that I'm pushing as best as I can to get stronger.

My arms have a little definition, muscle-wise, that wasnt' there a year ago. I am proud that I can use my arms to heft myself up to get out of the seat in the sidecar of our Patrol motorcycle. Can't walk very well, but I can step up on a little step-stool and climb into the sidecar. My husband takes my quad cane apart and puts in, with the step-stool, into the trunk on the sidecar. And away we go. He drives because my feet cannot move the motorcycle foot pedals to shift, but I sit there with a big grin on my face, enjoying the wind blowing, having fun leaning into the curves along the road. Appreciating the open-air view of all the surrounding scenery along the road, and though we don't usually go much faster than about 50 or 55 mph, it feels like pure freedom. Freedom from hobbling to get slowly from here to there. Freedom to go like the wind.

Talk about distraction from even thinking about food. It's a new hobby for me. We only got the Patrol the last week of June this summer. Between improved Blood Sugar levels, starting losing weight again on Atkins, and relishing motorcycle riding as a sidecar passenger, I have a lot to smile about lately.

There is nothing that's going to keep me from doing everything in my power to hang in there and eventually reach my goal. I bet you will reach your goal too!

Maybe you can shake things up a bit by taking up a new hobby. Break out of the humdrum. Give it some thought as to a dream you might have or a hope of something different that could bring joy into your life.

Something that's really fun and makes you smile. Take a little time to find a new hobby that helps make life more alive---less focusing on counting carbs and a little more on the good around us. Some folks really enjoy doing some sort of community work to help others----even if it's just reading stories to kids at the library one afternoon a week. Good luck!

Thank you for your response to my post. You are very inspirational! Maybe I seemed more down than I am. I do meaningful nonprofit work with wonderful people, I have an able body and a beautiful family. I work out pretty hard 45 minutes to an hour and a half at least five days a week, actually. I have lots of hobbies - we just got hobby chickens and we do many fun things with our kids and I actually really enjoy thinking about food. I am not a binge eater so eating the wonderful food I love on Atkins has been great. I have alot of hobbies and we are very active in the community. At the end of the month, we are taking in another free boarder who we are helping to save money so she can fulfill her dream of moving to Europe. Last year we took in a free boarder who was able through our help to finally get his GED, save some money, heal from a devastating accident. Right now he is in the middle of a cross country bike trip.

I am looking forward to playing my accordion again when the kids are older, but that has nothing to do with my weight, just toddlers!

Enjoy your motorcycle ride!!!

Janine

Linda85
Thu, Aug-09-07, 11:29
Jschwab, Thanks for your kind words. Am glad you are OK, maybe justifiably taxed with keeping up with 3 little ones. Sounds like you have a wonderful life and are already helping a lot of people who are blessed to know you.

They do eventually get older. And I'm not sure which is worse the "terrible twos" or when they become teenagers. Noted a number of similarities in the behavior patterns. Never dull.

Has any "expert" ever calculated the amount of exercise a mom with 3 todlers must get in a day? LOL I doubt they'd even know where to begin.

You are to be admired for the big job that you do every day as a mother of three. Don't let anyone ever underestimate your worth because you certanly are a very special Mom.

Over the years, I've known of busy Moms who get up 20 minutes early (before the children are awake) to have a cup of really nice tea and a moment to themselves. Maybe reading the newspaper or listening to nice music while fixing the lunches or something like enjoying reading a brief daily inspirational thought.

Maybe taking the kids to a favorite park to blow bubbles or fly kites or feed the ducks, IF you enjoy it too. Something for Moms to help nourish the inner soul, even if it's only a couple times a month. It helps.

Other Moms keep a diary, take a bubble bath once a week, or maybe buy a special flavor diet drink to savor while watching a funny movie at home. Nothing grand, just a little something weekly or monthly. a well-deserved self-nurturing moment now and then that helps renew the mind and spirit.

kevsmama
Sat, Aug-11-07, 21:16
This may sound strange but one of the greatest pleasures for me when I lost quite a bit of weight was not having to use the handicap stall in restaraunts or stores! Before I couldn't fit comfortably in the regular stalls and now I can. Sometimes I forget and use the bigger one then think about it and just start grinning at myself!

Linda85
Wed, Sep-05-07, 07:50
Used to only be able to sit at the tables with chairs at restaurants. Now I can sit at a booth if I want to.

Last week I got tired of having to step on, step off, step on, step off, and take an average on our old worn-out spring scales. So I finally on Thursday nt., 30 August 2007, I bought a new digital scales.

Weighed in and got a shock. :( The old scale showed I weighed 237, and the new scale (the same time & day) showed I weighed 247. A 10 pound increase. You better believe it was disheartening but eventually decided that the digital scale MUST be more accurate. So that's my new reality weight-wise.

Started using FITDAY on Saturday, 1 Sept 2007. Keeping better tabs, more accurate tabs on exactly what I was eating. And I was delighted on Labor Day Monday, 3 Sept 2007, to see a 4 pound loss on my new digital scale. Down from 247 to 243. WOO-HOO!!

Stayed the same on Tuesday, 4 Sept. Then this morning, Wednesday, 5 Sept 2007, my new digital scale showed I had lost another pound. From 243 down to 242! I love it!!

It is so satisfying to break the stall I had been on. Quit drinking aspartame (NutraSweet) diet drinks and started tracking everything I eat, better now using FITDAY. Am encouraged again. Nothing like some success to get a boost in the arm. That, and a little encouragement from my LC friends. Thanks everyone! :) :)

Linda85
Fri, Sep-07-07, 08:22
Today (Sept.7th) I was down one more pound to 241 on the digital scale. WOO-HOO! That's from 247 on Sept.1st to 241 on Sept.7th (today). That's 6 lbs. off in one week according to the digital scale! No more stall for me.

How did I do that? Quit drinking aspartame diet drinks, got back to drinking more water, and ate less fatty, sugary breakfast meats that had carbs. And I finally listened to several LC friends who encouraged me to use FITDAY. Took me a little while to figure it out, but now it's easy. Using FITDAY is much more accurate than my own previous tracking. There were hidden carbs in several food items and I was eating way too many overall calories to be able to lose wt.

FITDAY system helps me to have a tighter overview of what I eat each day with regard to calories/actual carbs/fat grams/protein grams. It keeps you more honest when you have to type every item in, amount-wise, etc. I love it. And I love the 6 pound loss I've had this week (Sept.1st to Sept.7th). :)

No more worrying about possibly breaking friends & relatives chairs for me! :daizy:

doncarlin
Wed, Nov-14-07, 01:43
I haven't read all the posts here so I do not know if any man has touched on it.
After losing 80 pounds, the first major improvement I noticed was how much I improved in sexual performance. Sorry to have my mind in the gutter(okay not really, but I'm really not trying to offend), but it is an undeniable improvement that needs to be mentioned. Being much slimmer has made a huge difference.
Perhaps even better was my attitude and outlook on life. Simply by accomplishing this weight loss, my attitude and motivation has skyrocketed. I have improved in my social life and my earnings potential is going on the upswing.

Angelica16
Sun, Nov-16-08, 03:44
I absolutely loved reading this thread! It was sooo inspirational and I cant wait to be able to post here one day soon!

jschwab
Sun, Nov-16-08, 17:14
Thanks for reading it and bumping it up. A few posts ago I noted that I
'd lost 55 pounds and maybe another 50 would make a big difference and I am there! I've lost over 100 pounds - seeing this old thread makes me realize how sticking to a stated goal really does work.

Janine

Andy Davies
Sun, Nov-16-08, 17:47
This is a great thread. It's the first time I've seen it, as I don't look in often nowadays.

Congratulations on starting it up, and to all those inspirational low carbers who have posted encouraging contributions - this is exactly what people want to read at almost any point on their weight-loss journey.

Well done, and thanks.

felix_thec
Mon, Nov-17-08, 12:32
I am 2.5 pounds away from my 100 pounds loss. And 12.5 from goal.

I was prediabetic and depressed when I started low carbing. I am now healthy, slimmer, and most definitely happier. I turfed out the old fat clothes a month ago. I used to keep them around but this time it feels different. The nurse at my GP congratulated me on my loss. That felt good. I saw my sister a week ago and she said nothing. She's never had weight problems.

I love the energy and the confidence I have now. I sleep better. I was afraid of dying in my sleep which was my wake up call.

I am waiting to reach goal before posting photos.

Blessings. :dazzle:

jschwab
Mon, Nov-17-08, 16:43

I was prediabetic and depressed when I started low carbing. I am now healthy, slimmer, and most definitely happier. I turfed out the old fat clothes a month ago. I used to keep them around but this time it feels different. The nurse at my GP congratulated me on my loss. That felt good. I saw my sister a week ago and she said nothing. She's never had weight problems.

I love the energy and the confidence I have now. I sleep better. I was afraid of dying in my sleep which was my wake up call.

Congratulations!

Pasque
Mon, Nov-17-08, 19:06

Well, since you didn't hear it from your sister, CONGRATULATIONS!!!

That is amazing and I am giddy for you! You are an inspiration and I am so happy for you!

Sincerely
Pasque

felix_thec
Mon, Nov-17-08, 21:24
Congratulations!

Thanks I appreciate it. :wave:

felix_thec
Mon, Nov-17-08, 21:26
Well, since you didn't hear it from your sister, CONGRATULATIONS!!!

That is amazing and I am giddy for you! You are an inspiration and I am so happy for you!

Sincerely
Pasque

Hi Pasque,
You've made my day! Thanks so much. :cool: :D

sithurston
Sun, Dec-21-08, 00:24
I've lost 50 pounds in 10 weeks so far only about 120 to go!!!!

I lost 33 prior to this but just started keeping track for the last 10 weeks! We were doing the biggest loser at work and are starting again in Jan 09

jschwab
Sun, Dec-21-08, 00:52

I lost 33 prior to this but just started keeping track for the last 10 weeks! We were doing the biggest loser at work and are starting again in Jan 09

COngratulations - you're doing so well!

Bipley
Mon, Dec-29-08, 21:25
Any updates?

Skyliz
Tue, Dec-30-08, 04:10

That is absolutely amazing. I did not know that this speedy weight loss existed! Congratulations! :cool:

LittleZu
Tue, Dec-30-08, 07:53
I started last year before Thanksgiving at 280 lbs, and in total have lost 110 lbs since then. I've been stalled at my current weight for a few months now, but I continue to lose inches and recently got into a size 12 skirt that I've been dying to wear, so I keep on plugging away at it. :agree:

I caught some guy staring at me the day I wore that skirt, too, and at first I was all embarassed because my immediate reaction is that he's staring because I'm fat, but then he grinned at me and I realized he was staring because he thought I looked good- that was a new thing for me and it made me feel great. :D I've never been what I considered "pretty" so it's amazing to feel like other people think I am.

Aside from looking better, though, is how much better I feel. I'm proud instead of ashamed. I can do so many things I never thought I was capable of. I make right, healthy food choices without even thinking about it. I'm confident to order substitutions for carby foods while eating out without feeling like I am being "weird." I talk to strangers without panicking! I can sit in booths when I go out with friends without having to eyeball the thing and wonder if I will fit first. I don't have to shop in the fat girl section anymore. I can walk to my mailbox without being so out of breath I think I'll die. I don't have to exclude myself from social activities because I'm too big to sit in the seats, or too out of shape to participate in what others want to do. Last week I got on an airplane and I was worried about having to adjust the seatbelt in front of all those people but I had to tighten it from the last person who sat there!

I love no longer being the fattest person at every family gathering. I love having let go of always just being "the fat girl." There is so much more to me now that it's not overshadowed by that one defining characteristic. Other people take more interest in who I am instead of how I look.

I can wear cute clothes!

I'm just rambling, but having lost so much weight has changed my life in so many wonderful ways. I really couldn't be happier with being so much healthier. :thup: I'm still going, but it's no longer a struggle, it's just ordinary to eat the way I do. That makes me happy as well. :D

gweny70
Tue, Dec-30-08, 11:50
Wow congrats LittleZu! THAT's AMAZING!! You look WONDERFUL!! KEEP SMILING!

LittleZu
Tue, Dec-30-08, 18:03
Wow congrats LittleZu! THAT's AMAZING!! You look WONDERFUL!! KEEP SMILING!

Aww, thanks Gweny! :)

Aisleone
Tue, Jan-06-09, 17:15
Having people look me in the eye rather than checking out my fat! Pants that don't wear out between the thighs!!! I have actually grown tired of wearing jeans now before they are thread bare between the thighs! What a great feeling!

ImGoinDown
Sat, Nov-28-09, 21:44
It feels real good. I never really thought about it until now.

I walk alot easier, I'm not self-conscious when I walk into a room. I love walking into a place and everyone is looking at me and it's not because of my weight. Imagine hearing "your waist is so small!" I'm actually comfortable eating in public... I went to a club... and Martellus Bennett (Dallas Cowboys Player) was looking at me! Now mind you, this was New Years, every girl is looking amazing on New Years, and he was looking at me!

This post just motivated me all over again.

IvannaBFit
Thu, Jan-20-11, 02:26
Its nice to buy clothing in regular sizes. It's also made me feel more feminine. And it feels sorta comfortable to wear pants with non elastic waists now!

Some people have forgotten that I was 260+ when pregnant and 226 when I started losing this time around (2008). Even my family. But I haven't forgotten. I am still quite overweight but nothing compares to feeling very obese (I'm short with a medium frame). It hurt so much emotionally, how could I forget?