PDA

View Full Version : New Member...on Atkins

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

heartrock7
Wed, Aug-22-01, 17:20
Day 4 of induction and going strong. Have some questions though. Was reading about one of the diets where fiber could be substracted? How does that work. You get something called and ECC or essential carb count? Also, another post mentioned a day where you have one free day. Now that really interests me...LOL.Anyway, all the posts on here have been so successful. Was thrilled when I found this site. :cool:

Natrushka
Wed, Aug-22-01, 17:32
Hi Heart, welcome to the forum. You'll find lots of information and plenty of support. It's a wonderful place.

Your question about fiber relates to the Protein Power plan that some of us are following (Me for one). You can subtract the fiber because although its a carb its not digestible. Atkins doesnt allow for this. The diet with the 'free' day is CAD (Carbohydrate Addicts Diet) and I believe its a 'free' carb meal.

There are many version of low carb and you can find the various diets explained and discussed under Low Carb Plans (http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?s=&forumid=68)

Good luck and enjoy your new WOL

Nat :)

heartrock7
Wed, Aug-22-01, 17:39
thank you for your information...but believing firmly in taking the path of least resistance...why can't one just combine all the best parts of all the diets. for instance...i like substracting the fiber if it doesn't count because that certainly lowers the total count significantly and secondly...add a free day.

seems like just those few modifications would keep boredom at bay and make the whole plan much easier to follow.

i may write my own book after i am successful at getting this spare tire off my waist line...LOL..

:o

debbiedobson
Wed, Aug-22-01, 18:48
welcome aboard heartrock!:D good for you! 4 weeks into atkins! you've probably found that you've lost all the cravings for all your old carb favs, right! if you switch to CAD you might be setting of all your old cravings. a lot of people find with the increased carb consumption they get all their old cravings back. but then again, everyone's different!

heartrock7
Wed, Aug-22-01, 19:11
:o only 4 days..not weeks..( lord, i wish)...LOL:eek:

going to paris in september...and have this one pair of jeans that don't quite allow for breathing. i have them hanging on the door in my bedroom as a constant reminder. trying to avoid the scale. i can get fanatical with that thing. i haven't had too many cravings at all..eating alot of sugar free jello and taking the glutamine supplement. have been reading and comparing all the LC diets...worried about the carb addicts authors' theory that ketosis is harmful..hmmmm...seems they all have a different take.

what does everyone else think?

fiona
Thu, Aug-23-01, 00:31
Hi Heartrock

It's great that you haven't had too many cravings in your first four days.

I love the motivation your jeans would provide. Might do something like that myself and dig into my wardrobe to find something I'd like to get into.

{seems they all have a different take. ...what does everyone else think?} If we all put in our opinions that would only add to the "different takes" and confuse you even further. The best advice I can give is to take personal responsibility. Decide on one and stay comitted to it 100%. I don't think it is possible to take a bit from this plan and a bit from that one. It it works stay with it. If it doesn't try something else until you find which plan works best for you.

Sometimes a plan works for a few years and then stops working for some strange inexplicable reason. That would be the time to review the situation.
Take care. Wish you all the best through Induction.

heartrock7
Thu, Aug-23-01, 04:36
:o Fiona, thanks for such sound advice. I do know one thing. Low carb eating is working for me. I can tell such a difference..this is just day 5. I am being faithful to the plan, drinking the water...(yum yum..water is so good for you!) and excercising..usually walking and doing some wieghts.

This morning only after 5 days..I am down nearly 9 lbs on the scale. Maybe losing a little too fast, but I am contributing a chunk of that to water loss. I felt bloated when I started.

Like probably most everyone else in here..I had tried every thing out there...I chewed those little chocolate candies that were supposed to curb my appetite to only end up and eat the whole box in one setting. I did Jenny Craig, WW, Tops, etc...and finally this past Sunday picked up Dr. Atkins book and began to read about the group of people that have a problem with carbs. With 4 primary relatives having adult onset diabetes, and myself being an RN, I couldn't keep the blinders on any longer. All of my weight is centered around the middle..(typical apple) and I had every symptom he listed of carb addiction.

After just 5 days...I KNOW I feel different. I think I may have stumbled on to something here. As Martha Stewart says..."This is a good thing"

Hoping everyone a great day....

;) ;) ;)

Natrushka
Thu, Aug-23-01, 06:06
As Martha Stewart says..."This is a good thing"

Heart, It's a GREAT thing and it only gets better. Best of luck on whichever plan you choose!

Nat

bluugirl
Thu, Aug-23-01, 07:59
...why can't one just combine all the best parts of all the diets. for instance...i like substracting the fiber if it doesn't count because that certainly lowers the total count significantly and secondly...add a free day.

Heart,
Yeah i had similar thoughts too, so although i'm following the Atkins diet, i'm modifying it a little by not counting fiber grams :D I'm not doing the one free day thing, but perhaps in the future. If this is to be a permanent WOL, i just feel u gotta add some variations:) i'm also extending induction to > 2weeks because i lose so slow...~5lb/month! congrats on ur weight loss!! that's fantastic.. I'm slo-o-o-o-o-o-w..lol.. but i'd like to come back in a year, and say hey guys, it took me a year but i reached my goal weight... i'm in no rush (let's hope!)
Bye

debbiedobson
Thu, Aug-23-01, 18:53
heart, maybe you should lay of the sf jello. save it for a weekend dessert. by eating lots of sf products, your body isn't getting used to a diet that should comprise of mostly natural foods. you'll probably continue to crave sweets. you have to just lay of sweets for the first 2 weeks. it will really make a difference!

heartrock7
Sat, Aug-25-01, 07:59
:cool: Wow....day 7 of induction. What an incredible first week. Just paying attention to my body and noticing all the subtle changes. Usually I am so busy taking care of everyone else. It's a new thing to pay so much attention to myself!!!

PMS....what is that? Atkins said I may notice a reduction in symptoms, but the binges were completely gone this week. I am satiated entirely and haven't had those horrible cravings. What a benefit that is!!

The energy has definitely improved. I have taken the supplements and drank the water religously. And guess what????

Got on the scales this morning...down 10 lbs from last Sunday.
The blue jeans now fit and a pair of shorts I couldn't even button last week, now slide up with ease. What an incentive to keep going.

Hey..I am realistic and know the weight loss will slow, but what a powerful motivator to keep going. THIS REALLY WORKS.

Can't wait until week two is over and I can start increasing the carbs and adding some variety. Anxious to know what my max will be...

Again, can't thank all of you enough for the great tips, support, and sound advice found here. I just lucked into finding this place last week when I was doing research on the low-carb way of eating. What a goldmine!!

Have a great weekend everyone....

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D