PDA

View Full Version : A question about SBD and fats

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

toning_up
Wed, Mar-17-04, 15:59
I have switched over this week from Atkins and so far so good. I have decided to do phase one for just a week because I was still on induction with Atkins after 10 weeks.

I have read the book and realise that no restriction is placed on acceptable veggies and even acceptable meats and eggs but what about good oils/fats?

I have been using only olive oil and keeping my meats very lean. But I use quite a liberal amount of good quality olive oil. Should I be restricting this and to what degree do you think?

I did a check in fitday today and can see a marked difference in my percentage of calories from fats but they still make up about 50% of the diet. With Atkins the profile was about 70% fats/25%protein/5 % carbs.

So should I be limiting my use of olive oil more than this in your opinions?

Engine9
Thu, Mar-18-04, 20:13
I think the amount of olive oil your using is fine. In the SB book some of the recipes call for Smart Balance spread so using a small amount of that is also okay. The combination of lean meats, veggies and olive oil will still take you below the allowable fat on Atkins. Sounds like your doing great.

Monika4
Sun, Mar-21-04, 20:59
I got the feeling from the SBD book that liberal amounts of olive oil isn't that great. But it is mainly from the fact that nearly all recipes call for a spray which gets you a very thin layer - but there are lots of differences between the recipes and the book itself. When I make the veggie quiche or chinese veggies, I use normal amounts of olive oil, no spray, but some Atkins folks seem to add oil in order to loose, and I don't think that is true for SBD.