PDA

View Full Version : Vegetarian dinner roast

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Elsah
Fri, Mar-12-04, 16:49
I'm bored and have nothing to do so thought I might start posting some veggie recipes over to this forum as I add them to my journal. I wish there was a vegetarian section for main courses etc in the regular section because LC vegetarian recipes are hard to come by. Anyways, this one has been a holiday favorite for years. I am making it tonight cause the pregnancy cravings have gotten the best of me!!!!

This is what I usually make in place of Thanksgiving turkey. It's really high on the calories and fat so it's not something I would have all the time but a nice treat none the less. I put the stats into fitday using a cereal I just bought. ( I just now read the label and see there is sugar!!!!! Geeze you think when you see a low carb food they would know to make it sugarfree!! Guess I need to check my labels better. Use a 'cornflake' type cereal the more crunch and thicker the flakes the better really. Just for info to compare your own cereal to the one I used as the recipe base(Total protein) has for info 120 calories, 3.5 total fat, 0 cholesterol, 11g carbs, 3g dietary fiber, 2 sugars, 13g protein.

Special K roast (can you tell what I always used for it before LC!?)

32 oz cottage cheese
4 eggs beaten
5 to 6 cups flaked cereal ( I used 6 in my fitday calculation)
2 cups onion, chopped
1/2 cup chopped pecans
1/2 cup olive oil or melted butter ( I like the taste of olive oil but it's preference really)
salt
pepper
1 tsp thyme (I usually double both the sage and thyme amounts)
1/2 tsp sage

Mix all ingredients together and pour into a 9 X 13 baking dish. Bake at 325 for 45 minutes covered and then bake uncovered for another 30 minutes.

8 lg servings
481 calories
16.49 net carbs (obviously not something for induction)
32g fat
21.62 carbs
5.13 fiber
30.99 protein

You can definately use smaller serving portions to cut down the carbs some.

etoiles
Fri, Mar-12-04, 17:00
this recipe looks good! I have made a similar recipe prior to low carbing.

If you want a low carb roast though, Quorn makes an excellent and very low carb roast that you might want to try. IT is so yummy!!!

Elsah
Fri, Mar-12-04, 17:04
I love quorn! It's good stuff! Too bad I can't modify my "Chicken" tetrazzini I used to make with it. It's just not the same without noodles. I love new recipes I can't stand to eat the same thing over and over again so I am always looking for more stuff to try.

<< oh I tried my dinner loaf as LC for the first time. It still tasted good but was not as firm as it came out with the special k. I might cut back on the oil or add an extra egg next time. It could however be the fact I left something out and remembered after I had baked it 10 minutes so I pulled it out of the oven and mixed in the ingredient, packed it back into the pan and baked from the time that was on the timer when I pulled it out. I can be sooooooooo blonde sometimes!!>>

Jenn