PDA

View Full Version : Flax O Meal

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

CAP1029
Wed, Mar-10-04, 10:19
I saw this product Flax O Meal; is this alright to use on Neanderthin/Paleo? It looks like a nice breakfast food - a change of pace from eggs!

Lobstergal
Thu, Apr-15-04, 21:51
You can make a warm cereal from it. Take 3 tablespoons of flax seeds and grind them in a coffee grinder. Put in a bowl. Add some chopped fruit (as much as you like) and some warm water from the kettle. Mix it up and eat.

I am going to try this one day with the addition of creamed coconut and see what i come up with.

CAP1029
Fri, Apr-16-04, 09:26
sounds good but I have trouble with coconut - it seems to stall me and bloat me up.

arcticslug
Fri, Apr-16-04, 10:23
Flax O Meal is DEFINATELY not paleo! Here is a list of the ingredients that I got from a website selling it:

Ingredients: Wheat bran, flax seed meal, soy protein isolate (nonGMO), dried strawberries, flavorings, salt, sucralose.

Some of these ingredients are really terrible. Flax seed is not something that Paleo people would have eaten - I would stay away from this stuff.

captxray
Fri, Apr-16-04, 10:42
:rolleyes: Flax-O-Meal is NOT paleo, that's for sure. But, flax seeds might have been eaten by paleo people because it is a seed that can be mashed into a gruel and made into a type of bread or pancake and cooked over a fire...so, I think paleo hunters and gatherers might have eaten things like that. I imagine flax seeds have been genetically altered in the last 10,000 or so years and were probably much smaller in their "natural" form, but so is almost anything else we eat, nowadays. Now, wheat is an "invention" of MANKIND. It never existed in nature...as didn't most of the grains that people eat. Their ancestors were genetically enhanced over approximately the last 5,000 years of agriculture to what we have, now. Spelt is more "natural" than wheat, but it is still something that was genetically enhanced to become the (high carbohydrate and phytate containing) "grain" it is today, also as are all of the grains.