PDA

View Full Version : New to Paleo

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Kathy W
Sun, Mar-07-04, 12:10
Hello I am Kathy new to Paleo but very familiar to LC. Paleo was basically prescribed to me by my endocrinologist. No grains, lots of meat, veggies, and fruit. He wants me to eat lean and organic meat when possible I have about 120 pounds to lose. I go to the endo beacuse of PCOS, hypothyroid, insulin resistance, and what they think is a pituitary tumor. But the amazing part is I feel good. I went to the Dr. because I was NOT losing weight no matter what I did. I feel good on this WOE and I am sticking to it. So there is a brief history of me and I am glad to be part of this community.

Jen B
Mon, Mar-08-04, 06:18
Welcome Kathy!

I am fairly new here myself, having posted and answered just a few threads. I love Paleo. It has enabled me to cut all my addictions, and I no longer have any cravings for the things I thought I could never do without (grain, milk, sugar, alcohol, legumes, potatos, etc.). I really am not missing any of them now. I love being free ...

Regarding weight loss, I recently read an excerpt on Amazon from the Schwarzbein Principle II:
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
"You need to be healthy to lose weight, not lose weight to be healthy. It is only when you have completely healed your metabolism that you are primed for losing all your excess storage fat."
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
This concept is very helpful for me, as I am not losing weight as fast as I would like. My metabolism was in a shambles before starting this WOE. This excerpt helps me to realize that I am in a transitional phase, and that my metabolism is healing and gearing up to begin working properly. I may not be losing gobs of weight right now, but I am feeling more energetic and less painful every day, and I have a calm inner feeling that "all is well."

Good luck to you, Kathy, and I look forward to hearing more about you and your challenges.

MichaelG
Mon, Mar-08-04, 18:18
Hi Kathy

At its basic level Paleo is very simple: eat what you can catch, dig out of the ground or pick off a bush. Of course nowadays it's not as simple as that, which is where the fun begins!! I guess that there is a modern equivalent to all the things our ancestors ate. Bacon is a good version of smoked dried meat, but what about cans of sardines? :rolleyes:

Paleo is a great WOE if you love cooking, like I do. Are you a kitchen-hound?
there's so much you can do just with meat and veggies.

All the best

Michael Gardner, Australia :rolleyes:

Hellistile
Tue, Mar-09-04, 09:13
Welcome to the hunter-gatherer family and the path to good health and well-being.