PDA

View Full Version : My stomach is burning

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Engine9
Wed, Mar-03-04, 12:47
A question for all. I posted earlier about feeling nauseous but I need to modify. Are any of you feeling a burning sensation similiar to when you take a vitamin or asprin on an empty stomach? This has been going on for awhile and there are times when it makes me sick. Anyone else have a similar story? What could be the cause. I didn't feel this on Atkins but have regularly on SB.

Zuleikaa
Wed, Mar-03-04, 12:59
Might be a sensitivity to wheat. Sounds like it. Eaten may weat products?

Engine9
Wed, Mar-03-04, 13:02
None that I can think of. I haven't had anything but the phase one foods for awhile now.

Tinamarie6
Wed, Mar-03-04, 17:24
I know that this might sound dumb but maybe you should try drinking more water when you take your vitamins. maybe you should check with your Dr.

lawoman
Thu, Mar-04-04, 07:21
Tina,

If you did not have the problem before while on Atkins it must be something that you have added in on SB.You could try to eliminate one of those foods at a time.Many people are allergic to wheat or it may just be a coincidence that it started now and you might have to ask a Dr. for help.I agree about drinking enough water with supplements and taking them with food as they affect me like that.

Hoping one of these suggestions work and you're feeling better soon.

Linda

janswizard
Sun, Mar-07-04, 16:00
I'm on day 8 of Phase 1 (South Beach) and I am also experiencing stomach burning. I noticed someone said something about wheat products but I'm not doing any wheat on Phase I. Today the stomach pain is bad enough that I have been unable to eat. I was only able to take 2 bites of my scrambled eggs this morning, about 1/4 cucumber and 3 or 4 small bites of chicken for lunch and I'm afraid to try dinner. I can only drink water if it's very cold and I'm having a hard time putting that down today without causing another sharp pain in my stomach.

One thing I've noticed is that I'm not having moving my bowels everyday. This is a contradiction to what my mother is experiencing who is doing the diet together with me - she's always in the bathroom.
In the morning I'm going to try Metamucil to see if that helps with that problem but I need some advise on the stomach burning issue.

Engine9
Sun, Mar-07-04, 18:35
I still haven't found the cause, it happens periodically through the day, cold water or hot tea helps. It seems to go away after I have had avacado in a meal probably because of the fat. I just have to deal with it until I find out. Hope you feel better so you can eat don't want you to get sick.

nitrovixen
Mon, Mar-08-04, 14:18
Maybe it's a food allergy?
I have this problem a lot when I do low carb. I've found adding some carbs usually helps. I've been following the BFL diet and the problem stopped. It feels a lot like TOM cramps. It seems to happen to me usually when I've waited too long to eat, then after i eat it hurts. You might try spacing out your meals more, eating less at each meal but more often during the day. Hope this helps!

SJ

ps-I've started LC'ing/SB phase 1 this week so we'll see if it happens again.

RCFletcher
Mon, Mar-08-04, 15:21
I think you hit on it when you mentioned the fat in the avocado. From what I understand Atkins allows a lot more animal fat than South Beach. Maybe this coats your stomach in some way and stops irritation - I'm just guessing. You could try going back onto Atkins for a week and see if you feel better?

meltinaway
Tue, Mar-09-04, 01:44
My sister had the same problem, I will call her and ask her then reply.

Engine9
Tue, Mar-09-04, 11:08
Thanks for all your help, the other night I had a beef tenderloin and asparagus and the pain was so bad I needed a heating pad to get to sleep. I have it right now, not sure what to do. I do think adding carbs or fat may help. Its becoming a constant difficulty.