PDA

View Full Version : Greetings from the United Kingdom

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Worldlife
Mon, Mar-01-04, 13:05
:wave:
It's early evening here in Sussex and I feel I may have survived the first day of
of my first Atkin's diet and still have some cheese snacks in reserve......

Spent much of Sunday doing someone pointless tasks but I reckon I was kind of preparing myself to make a commitment.

The "New Diet Cookbook" was an inspiration that this could be a diet to enjoy but quite honestly it could do with improvement.

Unusually for me I've actually written in a book - I just had to put the page numbers of the recipes against the meal plans.

Now I'm a fairly well organised houseboy and organise most of the shopping and cooking for myself and partner.

This morning at 8.00 a.m I was at the supermarket stocking up with protein for the first week of menus. The popped into the chemist for some supplements, vitamin and test sticks

I would certainly have preferred to have a plan that made it clear whether the surplus to one meal could be frozen and would thaw well. e.g I had the ingredients for the day 4 sardine snack immediately to hand and made it for today. There are two spare made up sardine snack. Do I freeze them and if I start making the other items will the surplus dishes freeze ok?

...or is the freezer and microwave alien to the Atkins concept?

Much encouraged on what I have read here and hope to shed a few pounds.
and still keep my energy levels up

:wiggle:

PS see that I registered here in April 2003 but if I recall it was looking into some information on another forum about low carb diets (thought they were a bit freakish at the time!)

Kristine
Mon, Mar-01-04, 19:26
Hi from Canada! :wave:

If you need a hand with any recipes, drop by the Kitchen Help (http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?s=&daysprune=&f=42) forum. I don't know about sardines, but many Atkins-friendly recipes do very well in the freezer. :thup:

Hmmm... I think I remember a discussion about freezing food... Here it is. (http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=64003)

Good luck!

rosey1
Mon, Mar-01-04, 21:52
hello! welcome to the board.

i do alot of bulk cooking myself, and freeze alot of it in single serving containers. it really comes in handy for meals in a minute. also a great way to store leftovers so you don't have to eat the same thing for 3 days. you will find alot of great info here. good luck on your journey!

Keisha
Mon, Mar-01-04, 22:29
Hi, sounds like you have given this WOL some serious thought before plunging in...a good move, and one I'm sure you won't regret. Eating this way is so damn easy...after the 1st couple of weeks of getting into a routine..you'll be sweet.

I'm English too, from Hereford, but been living in NZ for the last 30 years, and so far have never been back! My better half is from Bexhill-on Sea, not far from you ? Anyways, good luck with this WOL, see you around the site.

GypsyAngel
Mon, Mar-01-04, 23:03
Hi Worldlife!
Welcome from Pennsylvania! Boy, you sound organized!!!! Very impressive start.
Best of luck on the plan and for what it's worth I freeze loads of recipes and reheat in the microwave.
One of my best friends is from Sussex..... he is a nurse living in Denver, CO now.
Cheers,
Gyspy :roll:

Worldlife
Tue, Mar-02-04, 03:46
Hi folks... thanks for the welcome.

Guess it will take a little time to sort out the balance between healthy eating (It's not really a diet is it? :) )
and regarding new menus as a normal part of life.

Does it make fellas pregnant? I've very slight twinges of early morning sickness.

My previous breakfasts were (hate to mention it in case I lead someone into temptation) slice of toast (with Flora) and four desertspoons of bean and another slice of toast with marmalade! Hate to think of the calorie count if I reverted.

Guess I might be suffering withdrawal symptoms. It's OK though if one takes a Positive Mental Attitude and accept it is a small problem in relation to that of obesity (not that I would call myself obese :lol )

BTW this is quick message - the page for a full reply was taking a very long time to download

PS drinking plenty of water as recommended

tholian8
Tue, Mar-02-04, 03:57
Hi there. I'm an American expat, my partner is English, we live in outer London.

There seems to be a 10-minute period, which occurs sometime between 0900 and 1000 GMT every day, where this forum takes a long time to load or doesn't load at all. I think the servers are updating themselves around that time, or something...but it's just a guess, and a not very educated one at that.

Worldlife
Tue, Mar-02-04, 04:29
Thanks TholianB

Yes it was a temporary glitch and all is working promptly now...

Reckon you are probably correct about the cause.

orchidday
Tue, Mar-02-04, 09:31
Welcome to the forum and to low-carbing!

My partner is a housegirl of sorts and does all of our cooking and shopping. I just write the stuff on the list! It is a lot of responsibility, I know!

Good to know you and hello from Florida!

Orchid