PDA

View Full Version : PCOS, Weight Loss & Provera

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

kplatzer
Mon, Mar-01-04, 08:37
[FONT=Arial][SIZE=2][COLOR=DarkSlateBlue]I was recently diagnosed with PCOS and began taking Provera this morning. I will take Provera the 1st thru the 10th of each month. I have been struggling to loose 10 pounds for the last year and half and have been on Atkins since January and have only lost 2 pounds. My physician believes that the PCOS may have hindered my weight loss. Has anyone had success losing weight once they began taking Provera?

Squid
Sun, Mar-07-04, 22:59
If I'm correct, provera is a form of synthetic progesterone. I was prescribed progesterone recently, but I decided to wait a few months to take it.

You will lose very slowly on PCOS. I lose an average of 2 lbs a month if I look over the last year. Dang it's frustrating. For me I had to exercise, eat LC and take metformin (glucophage) in order to have any weight loss. But the hormones are still kind of messed up. I'm hoping that gets better. I'm pretty sure I'm finally ovulating now and my periods are starting to get normal again.

If things aren't better in a few months, I'm going to go on progesterone myself. I don't think the addition of progesterone will help you lose weight. Have you talked to your doc about metformin?

Squid