PDA

View Full Version : Strenuous exercised and low-carbs

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

maven
Fri, Feb-27-04, 22:22
[FONT=Comic Sans MS]

Hi --

I'm new to this forum. Although I've found a low-carb eating regime to be generally very beneficial, I haven't quite put it together regarding strenuous exercise. I study a martial art where classes, lasting at least an hour, can be pretty aerobic. If I eat minimal carbs beforehand, I lose weight but get pretty spaced out and overadrenalized. If I eat more carbs before a class I have more energy and stay more focused, but then I crave a carb snack afterwards -- and lose no weight. Has anyone had -- and resolved -- this problem?

Thanks.

shipto
Sat, Feb-28-04, 01:44
I do Thai Boxing and I must say I havent had a problem try to get a small lc meal 2 hours before your class, yeah I know this isnt alway possible.

DaddioM
Sat, Feb-28-04, 22:43
I don't know, but here is a thought..."pm" me if it works.

Try one of the "lc" treats as your carbs. They contain sugar alcohols which still are carbs to burn, but are not supposed to affect insulin production (which gives you the cravings).

hmmmmm....

idontno
Sun, Feb-29-04, 06:07
i think it takes a while for your body to adjust to the lowcarb way of life.. i seemed to have more energy but less strenth, in the begining. now after sticking with the diet awhile i have noticed an increase in strenth. if your working out to burn fat let your body adjust to the work it will over time. if your not trying to lose fat carbing before you work out will get you through....

DarkLotus
Sun, Feb-29-04, 15:33
You should have some protein 2-3 hours before your workout like shipto suggests. Have you tried a protein shake before and or after your workout? They tend to leave me feeling pretty full. Give that a try if you haven't. I wouldn't eat goodies though. Bad idea IMHO.