PDA

View Full Version : Turkey Or Chicken Sausages or fat free Kielbassi Allowed On Phase I of SBD???

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

suziq7575
Thu, Feb-26-04, 16:15
Are those turkey or chicken sausages that resemble Italian sausage allowed in Phase 1 of SBD? Also, is Fat Free or turkey kielbassi allowed?

WeeOne
Thu, Feb-26-04, 16:41
Check the ingredients and see if there are any hidden sugars in the fat free. There are quite a few low fat ones out there are allright. Regular Turkey and Chicken sausage is fine. I like the Casual Gourmet Chicken Sausage which is a precooked all white meat brat. Real low fat and tasty!

Wee

Paris
Thu, Feb-26-04, 16:46
Trader Joe's has several flavors of chicken bratwursts that are excellent! A few of them contain sugar, so read the labels! I love the jalapeno ones... very yummy with spicy mustard and a side of fauxtatoes.

doreen T
Fri, Feb-27-04, 14:13
The SBD program book states that processed poultry products are not permitted. For one thing, they usually contain dark meat and skin - only skinless white breast meat is permitted for phases 1 and 2. Another problem is that most sausage products labelled lowfat or extra lean tend to make up for the reduced fat by adding more refined carbs as fillers. :(

The SBD Good Fats Good Carbs Guide lists all processed sausages, hot dogs and loaf-type lunch meats as "Avoid", including turkey and chicken varieties. The only approved processed meats are turkey bacon (limit to 2 slices per day), Canadian bacon, lean ham, smoked turkey or chicken breast or similar lean deli-lunch meats that are "whole".

hth,

Doreen

doreen T
Fri, Feb-27-04, 14:49
Idea ..

I prefer to make my own sausage patties since the store-bought kind are so darn salty :thdown:

Just mix a lb of ground chicken or turkey breast with Italian herbs, garlic and onion powder, salt (or substitute if you prefer), pepper .. plus one tsp vinegar and half a pkt of Splenda. Shape into 8 thin patties and sauté over low heat in a little olive or canola oil just till cooked but not browned. Allow to cool, then freeze on a cookie sheet. Place in Ziploc and store in the freezer .. then you can take out the desired number for your breakfast (each will be 2 oz) and simply "brown 'n serve" :)

hth,

Doreen

suziq7575
Fri, Feb-27-04, 16:25
With only 10 pounds to lose, I need all the advice and guidance I can get. You are all GREAT!!

lawoman
Sat, Feb-28-04, 08:27
Thanks for the reminder of the info in the book,Doreen.That is exactly why I need to reread the book with new eyes...instead of just trying to see what I can eat like I did when I raced through it the first time!:rolleyes: The sausages sound really yummy...thanks!

Linda