PDA

View Full Version : Nutty Cheese Muffins

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Demi
Mon, Feb-23-04, 10:32
Had an idea :idea: and thought I'd give it a try. This recipe is the end result - they taste similar to a wholemeal roll and would be great with butter and cheese, or pate!

Nutty Cheese Muffins

Makes 12 muffins
Just under 1g carbs per muffin

4 oz / 100g ground almonds
4 oz / 100g walnuts
3 oz / 75g butter, softened
4 oz grated cheese
4 eggs
1 tsp baking powder

Pre-heat the oven to 350F/180C/Gas 4, and also grease a 12-hole muffin/Yorkshire pudding tin with olive oil.

In a food processor, process the walnuts until they resemble ground crumbs. Add the rest of the ingredients and process until thoroughly mixed. The mixture should be of a soft dropping consistency. If the mixture is dry, add a little bit of water until the right consistency is achieved.

Spoon a desert spoonful into each hole of the tin. Place in the oven and bake for 15 minutes.

When ready, remove from the oven and leave to cool for 5 minutes before removing from the tin.

junebug61
Mon, Mar-01-04, 06:56
Good morning Lily,

Just wanted to say hi before things got busy. Have a great week.

Starmaker
Mon, Mar-01-04, 10:38
Kewl! Now does anyone have a conversion chart? Need to know what all those ounces are in cups? lol Whats a dessert spoon? I thought you would have to fill a muffin tin at least half to 3/4 of the way ....no?

Demi
Mon, Mar-01-04, 11:25
Try this site for conversions:

http://www.gourmetsleuth.com/conversions.htm

A dessert spoon is slightly smaller than a tablespoon.

I thought you would have to fill a muffin tin at least half to 3/4 of the way ....no?
Well these do come up to about 3/4 of the way in my 12-hole pan ... perhaps a UK muffin pan is smaller than a US one??? !!!

Demi
Mon, Mar-01-04, 11:28
For reference - these muffins keep very well in an airtight container in the fridge. The last one from the batch I cooked last week, was still fine to eat this morning :thup:

Starmaker
Tue, Mar-02-04, 10:15
Conversions charts SUCK! lol ok so the closest I could figure out was

4 0z of ground almond is 8 tbsp?
3 oz butter is 6 tbsp?

etc.....is that about right? I measure in cups, tsp etc, this ounce stuff is lost on me.

Thanks

Demi
Tue, Mar-02-04, 11:30
I think that 4oz is about half a cup, but it does depend on the ingredient being measured - if you ask in kitchen help, i'm sure somebody else will know for sure.

Starmaker
Tue, Mar-02-04, 12:17
what is kitchen help?

Demi
Tue, Mar-02-04, 15:15
Kitchen help is part of this recipe forum - you can find it here:

http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=42

Starmaker
Thu, Mar-04-04, 08:51
Thanks Demi! I should have taken a better look around!

Demi
Fri, Mar-05-04, 09:17
In case anyone is interested, I've now also made this as a 'loaf'. I followed the recipe exactly as above, then put the mixture into a loaf tin and cooked it adding an extra 10 minutes to the original cooking time.

It cuts and also toasts beautifully :)

AiB
Sun, Feb-10-08, 12:57
These are very good!I love them...made a new batch this weekend. Cut in half with butter and cheese, I have these for breakfast now.

jerikay
Mon, Feb-11-08, 14:02
This recipe sounds good-what kind of cheese did you use?

AiB
Tue, Feb-12-08, 12:15
Well,Im from Norway and use a norwegian one called Norvegia. Its a pretty mild one. I guess Jarlsberg would be nice too.

jamie207
Sat, Feb-13-10, 10:33
Demi what an absolutely fab recipe.

Where do you buy the almond flour from as I used whole almonds but a struggle to powder them.

Thanks for a fab recipe :)

CValentine
Sat, Feb-13-10, 11:32
Thanks DEMI!!!

AM going to make the loaf version for my (diabetic)in-laws coming this Monday!

Wonderful!! :) ~Cheryl

Demi
Tue, Feb-16-10, 06:32
Where do you buy the almond flour from as I used whole almonds but a struggle to powder them.Jamie, just buy ground almonds instead of whole ones! You should find them right next to each other in the supermarket.

AM going to make the loaf version for my (diabetic)in-laws coming this Monday!

Wonderful!! :) ~CherylLet me know how it turned out and whether they liked it or not! :)