PDA

View Full Version : Oldbie??

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

PineSlayer
Sun, Feb-22-04, 08:16
Hi!

I'm not a newbie, and was sucessful once, but stopped lc and gained it all back plus 5 lbs. Also regained the diabetes complications I'd lost on lc.

One nice thing about starting over...I know I can do it, because I did it 2 years ago. When I went lc then, it was harder, because I had never succeeded in getting my weight below 175 in 20 years of trying every diet I'd ever heard of. I got down to 153 (a loss of 50 lbs) so I know my goal is reachable.

My journal from then is still here; what a help that is for me. I re-read it and feel very optimistic.

Thank you very much to the creators and maintainers of this forum; you rock!!!!

orchidday
Sun, Feb-22-04, 08:44
Welcome back! It is hard to come back and face up to it and you are so right though- it is a bit easier the second time around. We know how to do it and we know it works! Congratulations on finding your way back and let's do it permanently this time! Orchid

Kathy54
Sun, Feb-22-04, 17:49
Yep use that journal, they are a great tool to keep you on track:>)

PineSlayer
Wed, Feb-25-04, 17:34
Thank you, Kathy & Orchid!

I'm doing okay, even ate a bit of spring mix salad yesterday and it wasn't too bad.

My husband, Mike, is doing this too because of horrendously high triglycerides--about 1200. Yes, 1200!!!

We are controlling our carb cravings with Lindt 70% cocoa dark chocolate. One square (4 carbs) really makes a difference. What is it about chocolate??

Starting Monday, I'm downing 2 T of coconut oil each day to see if my temp will ever get to normal. Got if from Vitamin Shoppe. It was only $11.00 for 16 oz. Tasteless mainly, perhaps a very faint coconut aroma.

Getting this got me into a coconut kick. I bough a regular coconut and one that was labeled young coconut and looked like it had been peeled down to the meat. I thought that would be cool, but when I opened it, I discovered that it's a coconut in a very thin shell in a fibrous material that you have to work at to get off. At least it was good exercise. LOL! The coconut itself was slimy and gel like so I tossed it. Oh well, live and learn.

Karen
Thu, Feb-26-04, 01:22
The coconut itself was slimy and gel like so I tossed it. Oh well, live and learn. That's the way it's supposed to be but it's easy to see how it would be spooky if you are not familiar with it. :) They are delicious, especially when fresh. When they've been is storage too long, they tend to go sour.

You need a cleaver or heavy knife to remove the pointed top. Once the top is off, you drink the juice with a straw and scrape out the meat with a spoon and eat it.

Here's a site with everything you ever wanted to know about young coconuts.

http://youngcoconuts.com/index.htm

Oh to be in a land where you can get a young coconut right off the tree again! :yum:

Karen

PineSlayer
Thu, Feb-26-04, 09:40
Karen,

Thanks for the information, I'll give it another try.
I looked at fitday and the values they give are for 1 cup shredded coconut meat, fresh (5 ECC), but when I looked up young coconut the only infomation I could find was at http://www.thaihong.com/YoungCoconut.htm because youngcoconuts.com is unavailable. This site lists the carb content of 100 grams as 10.3 with .4 crude fiber. Do you know which one is correct?

Thanks!

PineSlayer
Thu, Feb-26-04, 12:26
I was finally able to get on youngcoconuts.com and see the nutrition information for 1 whole young coconut:
Fat: 3
Protein: 2
Carbs: 28
Fiber: 2
ECC: 26

snburch
Thu, Feb-26-04, 16:47
Welcome back! I'm new to the site.
This is my second round of LC. I did well the first time around and know I'l go all the way this time around.

Best of luck!