PDA

View Full Version : low fat/fat free cheese in Canada

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

striker
Sat, Feb-21-04, 10:57
I am having a hard time finding low fat or fat free cheese other than cheese slices. I would love to try some of those ricotta cheese desserts but cannot find any low fat cheese. I shop at superstore.
Any suggestions from fellow Canadians?

doreen T
Mon, Feb-23-04, 09:45
hi there,

Most of the national brands have "light", reduced-fat versions of their natural cheeses. Even No Name cheddar and mozzarella come in "light". Look for it in the dairy case where yogurt and cottage cheese is stocked. For some reason, Superstore likes to stock the cheeses in two different parts of the store .. so some cheeses and imported types are in the deli/meat section .. and the national branded types like Kraft and Black Diamond are over in the dairy case. :daze:

Ricotta cheese as well comes in "light" reduced fat versions, Tre Stelle brand or Silani are reliably good quality .. Again, they sometimes have in the deli section, sometimes in the dairy case. Go figure :rolleyes:

hth,

Doreen

lawoman
Mon, Feb-23-04, 13:14
You could also look on the list of ingredients to see if they used skim milk rather than whole. Good Luck!

Linda

y2valerie
Wed, Jun-09-04, 09:25
go to your big stores like loblaws and look in the deli section or exotic cheeses theres lots there also the laughing cow cheese is under another name la vache qui rit but just look for the big red cow i found this in a barrel by the deli section it had both regular and lite

Saintor
Thu, Jun-10-04, 06:09
Light cottage is just perfect.

Courtney81
Thu, Jun-17-04, 04:03
I too have this problem because I live in Germany, and it is quite hard to find low fat ricotta and impossible to find no fat anything here....I still use the ricotta full fat which might not be too good, but I just eat a bit less...