PDA

View Full Version : Ground Turkey Allowed On SBD??????

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

suziq7575
Fri, Feb-20-04, 07:46
Is ground turkey allowed on the first phase of SBD?

Engine9
Fri, Feb-20-04, 08:19
I would have to say yes, from all I have read as long as it is breast/white meat it should be okay.Same with chicken, no dark meat.

suziq7575
Fri, Feb-20-04, 08:30
Thank you for your help. I thought so too, but I couldn't find anywhere that said whether it is allowed or not. Under beef, it says ground sirloin is allowed, but I want to eat as little red meat as possible. I want to get some ground turkey so I can make some dishes my husband will eat too - like turkey meatloaf (no bread of course) or stuffed cabbage (no rice of course). I will make sure I REALLY read the label!

BeastWoman
Fri, Feb-20-04, 08:45
Hi Suziq7575, I make this for my husband too. I usually use the regular ground turkey cuz its not as dry as the ground turkey breast. I still lost weight. But the other day i used the breast and instead of bread i used mushrooms, put them in a food processor. You can't taste them at all and it makes it not so dry. Hope this helps.

suziq7575
Fri, Feb-20-04, 08:57
That sounds like a GREAT idea!!!! I will have to try it!! i want to be VERY careful on phase 1 because all I have to lose is 10 pounds, so I know it won't be easy!!! BUT I do have a lot of support from my husband. I thought I would put eggs, chopped onion, tomato juice or canned tomatos in the blender into the ground turkey too!

WeeOne
Fri, Feb-20-04, 13:17
We raise our own beef and our hamburger is pretty lean. I just brown it then rinse it in how water in a collander and most of the grease rinses off. I do the same with ground turkey or chicken if it is not to lean.

Wee

Monika4
Wed, Feb-25-04, 20:54
I thought the book says poultry is better than beef, and I tend to buy very lean ground turkey - you can buy it in a dozen versions of fat-ness. I am sure lean turkey should be approved.

Pat S.
Mon, Mar-01-04, 19:09
Hi,
There is a good recipe for Meat Loaf on page 221 of the book and it uses ground turkey breast.
Comfort Food On the Beach:
Turkey Meatloaf
Ingredients,
1 can (6 oz.) no salt added tomato paste
1/2 c. dry red wine
1/2 c. water
1 clove garlic ; minced
1/2 teaspoon dried Basil
1/4 teaspoon Oregano
1/4 teaspoon salt
16 oz. Ground Turkey Breast
1 c. oatmeal 1/4 c. liquid egg substitue
1/2 c. shredded zuchinni

Instructions;
Preheat oven to 350* , Combine the tomato paste ,water, wine, garlic, Basil, Oregano, and salt in a saucepan . Bring to a boil , then reduce to a low simmer for 15 minutes.set aside to cool
Combine the Turkey , oatmeal, egg sub. zuchinni. and 1/2 cup of the cooled tomato mixture in a large bowl. Mix well . Shape into an ungreased pan . Bake for 45 minutes , Discard any drippings Pour 1/2 c ( the other amt of the sauce) of the remining sauce over the top of the cooked meatloaf , and return to the oven for an additional 15 minutes
Pat S.

Olive77
Mon, Mar-08-04, 00:42
I've ONLY used regular ground turkey. Dry meat just doesn't cut it! :)