PDA

View Full Version : Switchers, why did you switch?

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Bleue
Tue, Feb-17-04, 13:03
There is probably another thread on here somewhere that has the same information, but here goes anyway...

I am wondering why those of you who are doing SB after doing Atkins changed? What prompted you to leave Atkins and do SB?

How is it working for you?

Thanks,

-Bleue

WeeOne
Tue, Feb-17-04, 13:10
Well I just started, but I felt like I needed a change. I have been losing and gaining the same 3lbs for 6 weeks. I know it's my fault I was just eating way too many calories. Instead of just going off LC all together I bought the SB book and liked the approach. It's giving me the change I need without giving up the LC WOE. I was debating whether to try Weight Watchers again because I was getting so frustrated with myself so I'm glad that I found SB.

Wee

lawoman
Tue, Feb-17-04, 14:03
I switched after going totally off plan and needing to get back on one.I just could not get motivated to get back on induction with Atkins but somehow mustered it up after reading SB and getting excited about it.Dr. Atkins had stated in his book that if you get stalled bad or need a change,go ahead and try another plan...just make sure you stay on a plan.I know this advice must have been meant for me as I do horribly off-plan.The change to SB has been a good one for me,allowing me to have some foods that I felt deprived of.Problem is that I have to be really careful about adding back too many carbs (as SB advises too)Once I get that under control I feel this plan is the easiest socially and for a lifetime change.I also like not eating so many sat fats.

Linda

Engine9
Tue, Feb-17-04, 14:59
After doing Atkins for a month with a 9 lb. weight loss I just took a look at what I was eating. It just looked unhealthy. All the butter, cream and red meat with so little veggies. I have only been on SB a couple of days so I am no expert but I FEEL better and I think the food options are healthier.

redhead00
Tue, Feb-17-04, 15:07
Hey Y'all-

I'm not sure if this post belongs here but WOW I am thinking the same thing!
Just like the WeeOne. I think if I don't see a change with Atkins in the next 2 weeks I will make a move. I don't know too much about SB though, but now you all have me curious.

What I would like to know from all people who switch is; do you see any positive results? When do they happen and to what extent? I want to know from those who are there, what crossing over is like ;-)

--Also wishing that Bleue had a journal, I need a PDX contact!

Engine9
Tue, Feb-17-04, 15:20
For me the switch has been difficult, not because of hunger but because I had to change alot of what I was doing. The cuts of meat, the cream and salad dressings and I could have more vegetable not to mention the continual updates in the SB books, one saying this the next one saying something different. This forum has been a godsend, and alot of it as always is trial and error.

Engine9
Tue, Feb-17-04, 15:24
Oh, I did forget to say that I am still very glad I switched, I feel alot better and my clothes are looser, even close to that special week of the month.

WeeOne
Tue, Feb-17-04, 16:22
Yes, I agree with Engine9 that is a little bit more difficult at first. I decided to change over last Wednesday but didn't start until Monday and I studied the book until then. I wanted to make sure I understood everything. I also had to hit the grocery store. It isn't as black and white as Atkins is so it does require more thought into what you are eating. Also I'm counting calories to make sure I'm not eating too many. I'm not to the exact calorie but just keeping an eye on them as much as possible.

I know that some people on Atkins don't count calories but I have to or I don't lose. I was keeping my calories high like I was being told but it was too hard for me to keep the fat content high in order to lose. I think it is to each their own and how it works for them.

Like I said I have only been on this WOE for 2 days but already I feel more in control. It kind of reminds me of Weight Watchers without the hunger! LOL

Wee

ketodiva
Tue, Feb-17-04, 17:06
I have been on Atkins for a year and had great success. I lost 42 pounds. That being said, I have been losing and gaining the same 10-15 pounds for the past 5 months. Granted, I haven't been as strict with the Atkins as I once was due to the holidays and a three week cruise. However, the bottom line is that I was getting more and more frustrated with my stall and found myself craving carbs. The thing was I was craving lower glycemic index carbs like beans and oats--not cookies or ice creme.

I was also having some problem digesting some of the higher fat recipes. So my diet was basically consisting of salad and steak, hamburger or chicken. I ate eggs for breakfast and cheese for snacks.

I was at the doctor about two weeks ago for bronchitis and she suggested SB. I had told her of my success with Atkins and of my stall and my cravings. She said that she believes in low carbing but would prefer a more well rounded diet with low glycemic index carbs and less saturated fat. She admitted that Atkins works but she had seen a lot of success with SB.

I got the book, noticed it was really similar to Atkins and included a few different vegetables that would probably help me to live lc more comfortably. I started today with Phase one and so far so good. I am so glad there is a forum for this woe.

Emagine
Tue, Feb-17-04, 18:18
For me it was not a matter of weight loss, I was fairly new into it. I just found as each day passed into 3 weeks I kept a headache that would increase. I also was not sleeping at night becaue of jitter like feelings and over all I felt like I had been hit by a train. I tried the waiting it out like most on the forum says. But I am a SAHM and loosing weight to me was not at the cost that I could not keep up with my son cause 'Mommy felt bad' . So I ditched the plan. For two days I ate low carb bread to put something back into my body. I drank my water and ate my veggies. I ditched the atkins Vitamins and found myself again. Amazingly enough I lost 1 pound those few days and never once gained. I went from 184 to 176 on Atkins and currently sit at 171 on SB and today is day 4. So I am happy.

I think the choice has to be made with your heart, not by the answers you get on here. Nothing is a quick remedy to the weight we all pack on. But SB to me just teaches you what we should have listened to our moms about long ago... a healthier eating lifestyle.

I will be honest I am not all that strict on this. I have had 2 occasions where I simply could not do the diet. I still feel lucky with the changes I have made and the extra pounds I have lost these last few days.

Best to you hon.

Kimmerz321
Wed, Feb-18-04, 16:34
For me, like many others, it was a matter of variety and health. I like the low saturated fats approach - eating all that fat on Atkins made me feel greasy all the time. And with the traditional SBD (unlike what Im doing), you get much more variety in the food.

kms
Sat, Feb-21-04, 08:31
I've been on Atkins since 12/02 and am stuck. Also, cholesterol went from 202 to 278, although trigs are low (44) and Total/HDL ratio is OK (3.2). Have been thinking about trying SB - need to get the book, etc. After reading this thread, I'm convinced! Will buy book today!

Monika4
Sat, Feb-21-04, 20:46
I tried Atkins twice for a week, and found what I had to eat disgusting, and some of the comment in the book - like, don't cut off the fat from the meat, and don't try a low fat Atkins diet, it won't work. Even before dieting, I didn't eat extremely unhealthy - I always liked Veggies and fruit, probably too much pasta though. I also didn't like counting carbs, and I eat Lunch in our cafeteria. I would have had to go there and measure, and it often wouldn't have had enough to eat. On SB, I eat what is allowed from the salad bar - chicken and egg if it is there, but just lots of greens and veggies if not, and on Atkins, those veggies alone would have gotten me over the carb count.

Dena241
Sun, Feb-22-04, 07:13
Many things contributed to my switch. I started Atkins around June or July of 2002, and had amazing results. I lost 56 pounds, exercised regularly, was in great shape. I had no known health problems, slept at night without any problem, and felt great. In October of 2002 I got pregnant, and losing the weight contributed to my ability to become pregnant, an added bonus! You are not allowed to do any weight loss phase while pregnant, but my doctor just wanted me to add back fruits, more veggies, and healthy grain choices, as he agrees with the low carb WOE. My daughter was born July 18, 2003, healthy happy, and perfect! Only problem was that I have not been able to fully recommit to the Atkins plan since then! I only have a little way to go to my goal weight for myself, but I really did not want to give up the fruits and veggies that I had been able to have. I have only been doing South Beach for one week at this point, and I am incredibly happy with this WOE. I think it is more forgiving than Atkins, and something in the back of my mind keeps saying that it must be healthier, simply because of all of the natural foods included. I found that on Atkins I ate all of the same junk foods as before, just low carb versions of them. I would not be able to say Atkins is better than SB or vice versa-it is simply a matter of preference and your personal food choices. Thank you all for taking the time to read my rambling!