PDA

View Full Version : What are some tricks to keep the cravings at bay

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Airysherry
Mon, Feb-16-04, 10:49
I'm new to the Atkins diet and I'm having problems with the cravings. I'm doing ok with drinking alot of water, but when those cravings come I don't know how to keep from going crazy. I found you by looking for low carb recipes. I'm trying to walk, clean house, read my Bible, and my cravings for sweets deminsh for alittle while, then they come back with a vengence. Please help!
Thank You, Sherry

lizwhip
Mon, Feb-16-04, 12:48
Are you eating enough that you are not hungry in general? I think its important not to let yourself get hungry in the first place. So eat enough to feel full on a regular basis.

If you are really new on the woe, it might take a couple of weeks to get past the cravings. Do you know if you are in ketosis? I am assuming that you have read the book, (Atkins), if not then you need to!

Liz

RCFletcher
Mon, Feb-16-04, 15:44
There are two ways to takle cravings for sweet things:
1. If you do without long enough they go away - really.
2. Indulge them but with permitted things i.e. sugar free jello.

I'm sure you'll find a way.

Ilikecarbs
Mon, Feb-16-04, 15:50
The absolute best thing I have found for the sweet tooth are Ashers brand candy bars. I live in Toledo and get them from Andersons, but I also went to their web site ashers.com and you can order them from there. They taste exactly like real candy bars and have as little as .7 effective carbs per candy bar.

Rosebud
Mon, Feb-16-04, 16:36
Unfortunately low carb candy is not allowed on Induction. Also, many people find that it simply increases the cravings.

Dr Atkins suggests L-Glutamine or chromium for sweet cravings. The L-Glutamine really worked for me - to an amazing degree. Dr A says to take 500 to 1000mg (500 was plenty for me) 3 times a day - ½ hour before meals.

HTH

:rose:Rosebud:rose: