PDA

View Full Version : I need help getting started

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Sandy_M
Sun, Feb-15-04, 07:31
Hi,
I'm Sandy.

I've been on a gluten-free diet since November of last year. I've been on this diet before (for about 7 months in 2002), but went off it because it's so hard to keep. BTW, gluten is found in wheat, oats, barley/malt, and rye. I also avoid soy products as much as possible. The only type of "breads" that I eat are rice and corn based.

I have temporal lobe epilepsy and have seen some minor improvement in seizure control when on a gluten-free soy-free diet but many on the epilepsy forum that I regularly visit are saying that it's really best to go low carb all around (not just gluten). I'm reading about recent studies showing promise that the Atkins diet may very well be helpful with epilepsy.

I, however, have no idea how to begin with such a diet. I look for ideas on the internet. I've even signed up at the Atkin's website, but all I get is general information-- not a real diet plan. :(

I would like some help coming up with something I can sink my teeth into. (Pun intended). :lol:

~Sandy

PS I'm wanting to stay gluten-free/soy-free. I also have high blood pressure, so I need to watch my sodium.

Link about Atkins Diet and Epilepsy: http://my.webmd.com/content/article/78/95736.htm

Kristine
Sun, Feb-15-04, 11:34
Hi and welcome. :wave:

What you really need to do is get a copy of the book, and if you don't want to read the fluff, you can at least read the induction chapter. :thup: That will explain which foods are best to choose.

...and that's assuming you've already decided to do Atkins. There are other good plans, too, which are easily gluten and soy free. Check the "Which Low Carb Plan Is Right For Me?" link, over to the right, under "Quick Links."

Good luck! :cool:

RCFletcher
Sun, Feb-15-04, 14:00
A ketogenic diet is/has been used to control epilepsy in children. This is usually very high in fat and also calorie restricted. Doctors have recently noticed that Atkins diet may also be useful as it produces the state of ketosis (fat burning) which seems to help epileptics cut down the number of seizures. Also Atkins is de facto gluten free as you're not allowed bread!

Please buy the book (Dr Atkins New Diet Revolution) and read it.That way you can't go too far wrong.

Good luck Sandy - I know where you're coming from.
Robert

P.S. This is my 2,000th post and I've got my fourth piece of meat - you must be lucky!

Sandy_M
Sun, Feb-15-04, 18:29
Robert,

The article I referred to above ( http://my.webmd.com/content/article/78/95736.htm ), states:

"The patients who took part in the Johns Hopkins study were initially allowed 10 grams of carbohydrates per day. That is more than is allowed on the ketogenic diet but less than is allowed in the induction phase of the Atkins diet. Roughly 35% of the calories consumed by the patients were in the form of protein, compared with 10% allowed on the ketogenic diet, and calories were not restricted."

Help me here.

I'm seeing:
35% Protein
10 grams carbohydrates (initially).....but no percentage given
(???) % fat

From reading this, it would appear that the induction phase/s of the Atkins diet is/are left out. When well into the diet what would the percentage of carbs and fat probably be if the amount of protein allowed is 35%?

~Sandy

P.S. I read your profile. (I used to be a teacher too).