PDA

View Full Version : Cheese Dreams

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

jude
Sun, Feb-01-04, 14:18
Trying to think of something other than bacon and eggs for breakfast this morning, I remembered my Mom used to make "Cheese Dreams" for us. The original was on toast, but I just did without that.

4 strips of bacon (cooked and drained separately)

2 slices (about 1/4" ea) tomato--3 oz)
Extra old cheese to cover tomato--2 oz

Put the tomato w/cheese on top on tinfoil and broil or microwave until cheese is melted.

Remove from tinfoil and add 2 strips of bacon on top of each slice.

The whole thing works out to 3 net carbs, according to Fitday. May be a little higher depending on the bacon you use.

judy

Ghost
Sun, Feb-01-04, 20:04
Good idea, sounds like a nice change for breakfast. :)

jude
Sun, Feb-01-04, 20:59
Hope you enjoy them, Ghost.

Interesting what you can come up with when you start thinking outside the (bread) box!

judy

Kristine
Mon, Feb-02-04, 11:03
...just don't put tinfoil in the microwave! :D

jude
Mon, Feb-02-04, 11:16
Oops! Sorry about that, Kristine. I'm one of those rare people who don't have a microwave.

judy

Kristine
Mon, Feb-02-04, 11:34
I don't have one, either. :)

When I was a teenager, I remember absent-mindedly putting a package of butter in the microwave to soften it up. :daze: A picturesque display of sparks ensued.

Tracey71
Wed, Feb-04-04, 08:28
I do something similar to that at dinner. Take a couple of slices of tomato, sprinkle with parmesan and pepper and broil for a few minutes. I also put a little olive oil on it before it goes in the oven.

NANCI B
Wed, Feb-11-04, 16:43
I can put tinfoil in my microwave. Have never had a problem. The instruction book that came with it even suggested wrapping wing tips etc with it to prevent over cooking.

leshaimors
Thu, Feb-12-04, 10:39
wow! did not realize tin foil could go in any type of microwave. as a child I remember my mom catching the micro on fire by making popcorn in a brown paper bag--so i really dont think you can put that in a mw either, but not sure-hahaha--this recipe sounds fantastic! i love tomatoes!

LeShai

centikel
Tue, Feb-17-04, 19:54
Microwaves have improved metal-wise. Though still don't use more than a little foil. I remember "in the old days" the microwave went wild when I put in a leftover box of Chinese food, you know, the ones with the little metal handles. Now my microwave doesn't make a peep over it.

bekkers
Sat, Feb-21-04, 13:54
Mythbusters (on the discovery channel) did a bit on metal in the microwave. They discovered that while the electric current generrated in the foil can cause sparkes as it jump from crinkle to crinkle it won't really damage your microwave, however, if a peice of metal in the microwave DOES touch any of the sides, it can shorten the life of the magnatron, so, try not to put any huge pieces of metal in!

Nancy LC
Sat, Feb-21-04, 16:54
Hey, I saw that Mythbusters too!

There used to be a web site on the Internet of a guy that microwaved various things. I think CDROMs was one of his best.

WyoDiva
Sun, Jun-12-05, 10:40
LOL......I think somebody needs to get a life if that's all they have to do. What AM I saying? - I don't have a life either...spend my life cruising this forum when not at work or actually cooking...lol. :lol: :lol:

Rosebud1
Mon, Jun-13-05, 16:52
I had a twist tie on some bread I was warming and it hit the plate and broke it into thousands of tiny pieces,what a mess to clean up. Haven't put metal in one since.

Fit
Thu, Jun-16-05, 16:00
Thanks, my husband loves cheese!!!

Rubinesque
Mon, Nov-14-05, 13:36
This sounds yummy. I used to do this on Eng. muffins but with sausage, tomato, cheese and Italian spice and garlic. Why not without the muffin. Would also be good if you can have a 1/2 of a low carb wheat tortilla. Great idea, Thanks.
Rubinesque