PDA

View Full Version : decadent eggs for a crowd

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

wizzle
Fri, Jan-30-04, 23:29
Here's a yummy dish with a story. We used to live in Chicago and my folks got invited to a really posh home when they were new to the USA and poor immigrants. My dad was a very fine pianist and one of those elegant gents you used to see in the old movies. My mom is/was a cute blond, a la Zaza Gabor. Good to go. Anyway, mom, being the nosey dear she is, wandered around this huge home (probably while dad was at the piano) and ended up in the kitchen. Wasting no time, she asked the cook for her best recipe. This is it.

Baked eggs Chicago

In a standard 13 x 9 glass pyrex dish, grate enough cheddar cheese to fill to about 1 inch. Make 12 indentations in the cheese. Carefully break an egg into each indentation. Pour over heavy cream (about 3/4 cup) to moisten thoroughly. Salt and pepper lightly. Bake in 350 degree oven about 25 minutes or until eggs are lightly set.

wizzle
Fri, Jan-30-04, 23:30
forgot to add the end to the tale. I gave this recipe to a friend who opened a B&B up in Oregon. It was the signature "house dish" for years.

jp123
Tue, Feb-03-04, 16:20
Sounds like a tasty recipie. Can I add hot sauce to it to spice it up a little?

Thanks for the idea.

jun keater
Wed, Feb-04-04, 08:59
I tried it! Very very good. I cut the recipe down to one person (2 eggs) and microwaved it. I didn't want to heat the oven for such a small ammount. I will this weekend though - for the family. Thanks for sharing!

wizzle
Wed, Feb-04-04, 21:06
I think you could do any number of variations to this basic dish, such as hot sauce or maybe jalapeno peppers. Or sprinkle with sauted sausage...it goes on and on.

In my former, non-lc life, I used the basic dish as a Jan 1 brunch stand by. As long as the cheese was grated, I could put the casserole together no matter how much joy juice I'd had the night before. I'd start the morning by sticking a sliced ham in the oven....then the cheese dish.... and serve those two up with danish pasteries and bloody mary's. Yummm!!!!

leshaimors
Thu, Feb-12-04, 11:35
can't wait for the weekend! never enough time in my house during the week to have a nice sit down breakfast together. this gives me incentive to get up and cook this saturday!

thanks,
leshai