PDA

View Full Version : First Day, please tell me if if this was a good menu

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

tietheknot
Mon, Jan-26-04, 20:20
Hey everyone, this is my very first day and I need some feedback. I have tried many, many diet and nothing has worked, so I am trying the South Beach Diet. I figure I can lose the weight and keep it off for my wedding on 6/5/04. So here is my first day menu:

Breakfast: 2 fried eggs and half of piece of extra lean turkey bacon

Snack: part skim mozzeralza stick

Lunch: Crab Cobb Salad from book with 2 tablespoon of blue cheese dressing.

Snack: 1 whole cucumber

Dinner: pork tenderloin with garlic cream sauce (1.9 carb) with broccoli and a couple bites of tossed salad.

Snack: 1 sugar free popslice.

I think this is good. I am kinda of hungry, but not too hungry. I also did have about 64 ozs of water and 2 pieces of sugar free gum but I know that I can have that in reason. Please let me know if this is a good menu.

mommatbird
Tue, Jan-27-04, 13:13
It sounds pretty good, from what I can tell. I am a newbie myself. On a relatively unrelated note:

How can you eat a whole cucumber? Does it not give you gas? Wow. You're a stronger person (especially GI wise) than I. If I were to eat even half a cucumber, my family would have to spend the night at a hotel.

lawoman
Tue, Jan-27-04, 15:42
Hi tietheknot,

Congratulations on your coming marriage. :)

Your meal plan sounds real good but if you are experiencing hunger you might want to add more fiber to your meals in the form of extra veggies,beans or salad.SB does not want you to go hungry but eat until you are full.Maybe you just did not eat enough at your meals to hold you until snack time.I'm not sure but just a guess...

Good Luck,
Linda

Bill L
Tue, Jan-27-04, 15:43
Your menu is not too bad, but you can have more than a half piece of bacon. Remember, the idea is to cut carbs in the first two weeks.

It sounds like you're starving yourself!

And beware of anything that claims "sugar-free". Check the carb content on the back of the box. When they take out the sugar, they replace it with something........probably carbohydrates!

Sounds like you're off to a good start...............

DRINK LOTS OF WATER!!!! Half gallon a day!

Bill.........310/268/225........day 80.........

CakkyDoodl
Tue, Jan-27-04, 19:08
Aren't SF fudgesicles on the enjoy list for P1 up to 75 calories a day? (They are.) I hesitate to argue with you Bill because you've had such good success, and I'm a newbie, so I am curious (in a friendly way) why restrict things that aren't restricted in the book?

Personally I would eat some beans, milk or yogurt in there, since they're allowed and make me feel alot better. Dr. A says if you're hungry, eat more low GI foods.

I can eat a whole cucumber too :)

The only thing I am unsure about is the cream sauce.

dcbrowne
Tue, Jan-27-04, 20:26
I think it makes sense to check ingredients on sugar free cuz often times that only means no sucrose, but like in some sugar free yougurt they add modified corn starch-not a sugar, but will break down into one pretty quick. It's hard at first to read all the labels, but you will find your favorites and know they are safe.

lawoman
Wed, Jan-28-04, 10:26
So true about label reading...it took me 2 1/2 hrs. to get my grocery shopping done the first time i went and I still bought some things that had to go! Perhaps it would be fun to share some of the products by brand that we buy to help each other find the right products a bit easier.I know that some things I consider safe are not in the SB book but most likely came out after,when the LC craze came to be for more people.An example of this is the LaTortilla wraps...no fat and very LC.I use them and don't think they are a bad thing...and very enjoyable to have a sandwich with them rather than legal bread which would be higher in fats and carbs.What do you use that you can share with the rest of us?

Linda
PS.One other thing I buy that I think is a good choice is the LeCarb milk?It is so much better than 1%!The 1% milk I buy(organic) has 2.5 grams of fat(1.5 sat. fat) and 12 carbs(12 sugars) while the LeCarb is 2% and has 4.5G of fat(2.5 sat.) but only 4.5 total carbs(4 sugars) and tastes much better.I guess it is give and take on the fat/added sugar issue.I will try to find the LeCarb in 1% or skim but so far no luck.That would definitely help on the fat issue.I have only found this milk at Albertson's so far.

tietheknot
Wed, Jan-28-04, 11:59
hey everyone, I just wanted to thank you for replying to my menu. I really appreicate all the feedback. Someone mentioned the garlic cream sauce that I made might not be a good idea, but I know that is was since it only had 1.9 carbs per serving. The sauce was made of carb free butter, some garlic, cream cheese and 1/3 cup of heavy whipping cream....very easy to make and it sounds like it was a good thing for the first day of the south beach. I will be checking the label on the sf popslices but I believe that they would be fine. I am doing good on my third day. I got very sick last night from some bad celery but I am doing better today. I just hope my stomach goes away. I really want some saltines but I know that I cannot. Does anyone have suggestions for anything to take my stomachache?? Thanks again for helping me!

Olive77
Wed, Jan-28-04, 22:07
I don't believe butter, cream cheese and whipping cream are allowed on Phase 1. :)

lawoman
Thu, Jan-29-04, 08:36
Um,sorry tietheknot,but Olive is right...none of those is allowed.It sounds really delightful though! :) We still have to watch the fats on SB and that is why we use 1% or skim milk...no heavy stuff.There are some great LC products that are real low in fat hitting the stores so maybe soon you can find a good substitute.

Linda

tietheknot
Thu, Jan-29-04, 18:00
okay, so I did not know that I could not have butter, whipping cream because I actually found the recipe on a low-carb site and I thought that was okay. So, I was wrong, I will stop using it. At least I am losing weight, I have already lost 3-4 pounds in 4 days.

lawoman
Fri, Jan-30-04, 09:00
Tietheknot,

It's great that you still lost.You are doing awesome!

The reason Dr. A excludes those items from this WOE is because of sat. fats.We also have to read labels so as not to get any transfats/hydrogenated oils. I wasn't sure if you were one who read the book or not but I wanted to remind you that the butter he suggests is the liquid I Can't Believe it's not Butter.(0 fat)/olive oil/canola,etc. So,while we can still use some of the LC recipes it will have to be adjusted to fit this WOE (if it can be) Best to stick with the list he has in the book until phase 3 at least.There is always YMMV but not everyone can get away with using products not suggested in the book.I hope this helps!

Linda

BeastWoman
Wed, Feb-04-04, 23:24
Hey tietheknot, i just started three day ago and have already lost 2 pounds. The first day was rough but its getting better.
Here is a tip for cream sauces:
Use Land O lakes Fat Free half and half instead of the whipping cream. I found it to be just as thick and creamy. and instead of butter you can use Smart Balance or I can't beleive its not Butter.
Taste just as good.

Hope this helps.

Good luck to ya.

BW

hey everyone, I just wanted to thank you for replying to my menu. I really appreicate all the feedback. Someone mentioned the garlic cream sauce that I made might not be a good idea, but I know that is was since it only had 1.9 carbs per serving. The sauce was made of carb free butter, some garlic, cream cheese and 1/3 cup of heavy whipping cream....very easy to make and it sounds like it was a good thing for the first day of the south beach. I will be checking the label on the sf popslices but I believe that they would be fine. I am doing good on my third day. I got very sick last night from some bad celery but I am doing better today. I just hope my stomach goes away. I really want some saltines but I know that I cannot. Does anyone have suggestions for anything to take my stomachache?? Thanks again for helping me!

lawoman
Thu, Feb-05-04, 08:18
Hi Beastwoman,

You are doing just great! How nice of you to come up with a great alternative for tietheknot so she can make her cream sauce and have it,too! Hoping you can stop back often...we need more good people to share on the SB sites.

Linda

PS.I think I have to tie a note to my wrist so that I can look for all the things I need to look for and not buy.I still sometimes think simple is better.:rolleyes:

BeastWoman
Thu, Feb-05-04, 09:09
:wave: lawoman,

Thankyou, just trying to keep the Hubby happy too since he is being so supportive and doing it with me. GREAT group of "south beachers" here!!!! this place is alot funner and more laidback than some other forums i've been to.

Hi Beastwoman,

You are doing just great! How nice of you to come up with a great alternative for tietheknot so she can make her cream sauce and have it,too! Hoping you can stop back often...we need more good people to share on the SB sites.

lawoman
Fri, Feb-06-04, 08:40
hi again Beast...

I totally understand.My DH is doing this WOE with me as well.It makes it so much easier.It must really be a challenge for someone who is not getting the support and for those who feel they must cook 2 separate meals to keep the family happy. I think we are really lucky.

Have a wonderful weekend,
Linda