PDA

View Full Version : Newbie From Wisconsin

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

tamij
Thu, Jan-22-04, 21:09
[SIZE=6][COLOR=Black][FONT=Arial]

HI EVERYONE!
My name is Tami,I am a mother of 4.I have two girls ages 8 and 10 and two boys 3 and 9.i had a spinal fusion back surg last april and gained about 60 lbs as a result of a terrible diet and inactivity due to my recuperation, I am so ready(and my dr, has given me the go ahead )to get healthy and fit, I read Dr Atkins new (revised)book cover to cover,and I am trying to follow the induction verbatim.I am having a very hard time w/the old sweet tooth.I know you are to keep your net carbs at or below 20 grams,but i need a little advice on all those low and no sugar carb "candy bars".I have already slipped and eaten 4 in the first week,am i doomed for failure?Or is the sweets craving normal? i hope i get to know all of you well because i need moral support because my will power is really weak(not to mention I am atroop leader for my daughters girlscout troop and it is cookie time ughh!!!)Please,some advice from anyone who struggled the first two weeks would be so appreciated thanks so much!!!

Operaghost
Thu, Jan-22-04, 22:50
Welcome Tamij. I am sure you will do just wonderful on this new WOE/WOL (Way of Eating/Way of Life).

You really would be best served to try to totally eliminate your cravings by not giving in to the sweet tooth. Unfortunately, these bars simply act as a substitute and the cravings never actually go away.

I tend to look at it this way: It really is only for two weeks. If you can make it one week, then months will be easy.

On the other hand, if the cravings are going to lead you away from this WOL then it really doesn't do much good to deny yourself a guilty pleasure. If, that is the case, and that is a BIG BIG if, then I would think the benefits of staying on the Low Carb plan would outweigh the damage eating these bars might do.

So, if you must, then do not allow yourself more than one a day, if that! You may also find that these bars can upset your stomache. What was the phrase someone on here used..."instantaneous thermonuclear diarrhea". So tread lightly! Most on this board will vehemently stress that you avoid these types of foods. I agree and disagree.

Good Luck!!

OG

AmberAA1
Fri, Jan-23-04, 05:05
i Tamij, one thing on the bars are that they are a YMMV (your mileage may very) type of thing, they stall alot of people and your not going to get the full benefits of induction if you eat them. You are suppose to be detoxing your body of all junk you ate before, unfortunately the bars are a No-No during induction:nono:, also. Hate to be the bearer of bad news but what is 2 weeks? I know easy for me to say. I like you had surgery last January and blew up like a ballon too and gained back all the weight it took me 6 months to lose. If you don't think you can stick to the Atkins induction there are other LC plans you can follow, did you check out the link: http://www.lowcarb.ca/atkins-diet-and-low-carb-plans/index.html, Atkins might not be your thing. Read through and see what you think. Hope it helps and Good Luck on whichever plan you choose.

tamij
Fri, Jan-23-04, 09:23
Amber-
thanks so much for the advice!! the word detoxify really hit home,I do think I can stick with Atkins,I not only want to lose all the weight, but feel better,I am ALWAYS sleepy,a little cranky and getting tired of buying the next "size" up.
I am so glad I found this site,I am very new to this whole forum thing,so my knowledge of abbreviations is not that great so also thanks for the definition of YMMV.I am still having a hard time convincing my self it is ok to eat so much fat and still lose weight,as back after the birth of my first child(1993) I was a total Susan Powter devotee.And I did lose weight,but I still always felt weak,tired,and achey and had a hard time eating that way as WOL(after all I do live in Wisconsin-Cheese is a staple of life here)I hope your surgery went well,my did,I am able to finally walk again w/o pain,well at least not back pain,getting around at 215 lbs is'nt always pain free,but that is why I am here.Again thanks much for the info I will put it to use TODAY,like you said what is two weeks after all!!!
Tamij

tamij
Fri, Jan-23-04, 09:41
OG-
Thanks so much for the advice! It made alot of sense,I understand the logic behind using those "treats" as a substitute,and they did upset my stomach,so I will be better off w/o them. Also thank for the definition of the abbreviations,I am new to forums as well and not really up to speed on on certain phrases.I do know w/ a little support and advice I can change my health/weight :wiggle: I have a birthday coming end of Feb. and I would really like to see a little difference by then, I weight 215 at 5'7"-I guess I am hoping for 200 by Feb 27th,I do exercise twice a week, what do you think??? Thanks again for the advice on the "candy bars". :)
tamij

Operaghost
Fri, Jan-23-04, 22:48
You know when I started this and even still today I have always tried to avoid goal dates. I didn't want to disappoint myself if I missed a date. My goal was always "the next 5lbs". Remember too to take your measurements as sometimes the scale can be stubborn but the inches may still be melting off.

Good Luck!!

OG

tamij
Sat, Jan-24-04, 22:31
Og_
Once again thanks for the advice,I really am very grateful for all the help I have received in just 2 days on this site.I will approach this like you suggested w/little goals and go by more on how my clothes fit than what the scale says,Thanks again!!
Tamij