PDA

View Full Version : Any Young At Heart Women in their 60's?

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

rainopal
Tue, Jan-20-04, 13:12
If you are between 60 and 70 like I am (65 actually) I would love to have you join me on this thread.

I initially lost 25 pounds on induction and a few weeks on the next phase of the Atkins. Then "I fell off the wagon" and went on a weeks long binge and regained 7 pounds.

I had to restart induction several times before I was finally able to stay on it long enough to get back into Ketosis. Now I am back down to 165 lbs (that is I lost 2 of the 5 lbs I regained) and my next minigoal is 160 pounds.

I have been unable to exercise due to having trouble with my right knee. It's been swollen & painful and had to be drained. I see an Orthopedist today to see what is going on.

Sorry for such a long introduction. Look forward to hearing from more 60's.

Brvida
Wed, Jan-21-04, 09:17
Welcome Rainopal
I am a year older than you, depending on when your b'day is. Have been struggling since the holidays with the scale going up and down. My hubby and I are both on Atkins but seems to be a struggle right now. I think over the holidays I got used to snacking more than I should! I started this WOL in June, DH in late July. I know we can succeed, right? I would have said eh but then you'd know I was Canadian for sure.

Are you still working? I stopped last July.

rainopal
Wed, Jan-21-04, 15:58
Hi Brvida,

It is good to hear from you. I can relate to putting the skids on Holiday snacking. I'm having a similar problem. Had to get back on induction for 5 days then snacked. Now I have to start over tomorrow.

You are so lucky on 2 counts Brvida. First your DH is also on Atkins. That is fantastic. Makes it much easier doesn't it? My DH is almost underweight and a sugar addict (not admittedly so). He is willing to help me by cooking for me but he brings home bakery goods and candy and hides them NOT so very well. I happen upon them on occasion and curse him :bash: with a raised fist.

Secondly you do not have to work anymore. I still work full time as a Secretary for a legal firm. While I love my job, I would love even more being "a lady of leisure" stroking my cat by a sunny window.

We can give each other support and cheers :clap: and :there: comfort through the tough times. I believe we can do this. What are your goal? My ultimate one is 130 lbs. My Mini goal is 160 lbs. I am now at 165 and started at 187 lbs.

Brvida
Sat, Jan-24-04, 10:43
Hi Rainopal
My ultimate goal is 165. I am tall, 5' 10" and although the charts say I could go down to 145, don't feel that is a good weight for me at my age. I'm happy to be where I am weight wise, when looking at where I started, but don't want to bog down here, which seems to be the case over the past month.

Yes I am lucky DH is needing this WOL too. He does have a problem if I have snacks in the house, if there is something to eat, he feels it must be eaten, NOW! I have stopped buying the pork rinds, Endulge bars etc. I make a low carb cheese cake stuff which I have managed to keep him on a serving size. He really likes it and I think he knows if he tries to eat it all in one or two sittings, I won't make it again. I try to always have some sugar free jello made up, and also make the Atkins lemon poppyseed cake etc. We eat well and must say, I really don't miss the pasta, bread etc. which, if you had asked me back in late May before we started this way of eating, would have said, "this is going to be a big problem for me!" but it didn't turn out to be so, thank goodness! Do you have children living nearby? Maybe they could give your DH hints of better hiding places. :-)
How much longer are you going to work? It is wonderful doing whatever hits your fancy, when it hits you! It;s a good thing you love your job.

rainopal
Wed, Jan-28-04, 11:35
Hi Brvida,

Looks like we are the only young-at-heart sixty-year-olds on this forum.

We have no children whatsoever. What about you? The way the economy is going I will probably have to work until I drop.

Sounds like you cook a lot more than I do. I need to start cooking more and then maybe I'll eat well too. It is wonderful that you have lost all that weight in just a few months. I get tired of my limited menu. Could you share some recipes you especially like for dinner meals? How do you handle temptation?

Brvida
Fri, Jan-30-04, 10:16
Hi Rainopal-
We have three children, were married 11 months and had twins, then another when the twins were 20 months old. Then we found out what was causing it! We got it all over early! They are all married now and we have 7 grancchildren. The twins, a boy and a girl, both live in the USA, one in Virginia, the other Texas. The youngest we share a home with (when we're there) in Ontario.
I do enjoy cooking, always have, that's why we were in the shape we were in! Now, I'm more careful but haven't done anything major.
Have you checked the web site lowcarb luxury. It has some wonderful recipes. A special favorite of ours is pizza. You brown ground beef until no pink shows. Add whatever spices you like and onions if you like them. When cooked, put into pie plate, pat down to cover the bottom evenly, spread with some tomato sauce, add whatever toppings you like, bake for 15-20 minutes and enjoy. If you like fish, which we do, get some cod or something along that line, cut up some red and green peppers and onions, take some foil long enough to be able to fold over the veggies and a piece of fish. Pour over a little olive oil, sprinkle with S&P and whatever herbs you like, fold over and seal securely, put on BBQ for 30-40 mins, or bake in oven for 30 minutes. It is realy tasty. How's that for a start?

Brvida
Fri, Jan-30-04, 10:18
P.S. I make individual fish packages, it's so easy.

Lori Byrne
Mon, Feb-02-04, 02:37
Hi, I usually just lurk around on these boards but since there is only two of you I guess I will fess up and join in. I am 62 b-day is 12/17/41 and I have been low Carbing since July. I started at 293lbs and now am 230lbs. I lost 10lbs over the holidays and was so proud and happy. I have been in a stall this month and it sure is a let down. I am a type two diabetic and take lots of meds so it could be anything slowing me down. I haven't cheated at all the whole time. I have my own business and I have cut back on my work schedule so I can exercise and just focus on losing this weight. My husband is retired and goes along with my lowcarb life style most of the time. :yay: :yay:

rainopal
Mon, Feb-02-04, 21:30
Brvida - Thank you for the cooking suggestions. I do like fish but I don't know how to cook it. I'll try your cod recipe. It sounds easy and tasty.

We have no children, hence no Grandchildren but we have tons of nieces and nephews and Grandnieces and Grandnephews.
:wave:Welcome Lori, its good to have you with us. It is so awesome that you have lost 60 pounds and 10 of them during the Holidays. How is that for dedication. Sounds like you have made an all out commitment to the LC WOE. Hope it rubs off on me.

I had a successful day and stayed on the Atkins WOE and even managed a 10 minute walk. If my bum knee doesn't give out of me I'll walk again tomorrow. I'm a type 2 Diabetic as well but it is under control although it wasn't for a long time.

It's raining this evening and sounds lovely. My DH is working late tonight. I still work full-time for an attorney's office. Retirement is just a dream for now.

dotgray
Mon, Mar-15-04, 12:19
hi to all. i am a new member and am looking forward
to some much needed support. I am on Atkins but am
not having very good luck. Can't so much walking because my leg are really painful. Doc says it is the
weight. hope someone has a suggestion / dotgray

Brvida
Mon, Mar-22-04, 15:48
Boy oh boy, can't believe it's been so long since I touched base here. Hi dotgray and Lori Byrne, also to you rainopal. Hope you're all having better success than I am. I am not gaining, but am certainly not loosing either. I tried to go on induction again but got sidetracked after about 5 days. I do think that 5 days helped me though. We still plod along, I cook all the right things, it's only the snacking once again, which is stalling our progress. We will keep trying though. How are all of you making out?

susandendy
Sat, Apr-03-04, 10:48
[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=7] :yay:

I am also 65 and am definatly very young ...I do a show of political satire on tv, work part time as a Social worker, and I m also an artist,potter, jeweler.
I have been looking for people in my age range that are vital and interesting!
I started Atkins 6 days ago , and was feelin SO badly that I had to take 3 days off work!
Very tired, dizzy , no energy,really not good, I have since increased my salads by 1 serving as per Atkins' reccomendation...also..take Potassium and some
avacado
I have A LOT of weight to lose, and I would really like to connect with others in the same boat!
( very depressing to speak with someone that has to lose 10- 20 pounds!)
Looking forward to hearing from mavriks and seekers!

BKM
Fri, Apr-09-04, 11:41
I'll be 60 in august -- so do I count as a 60-year-old???

Anyway, I've been low-carbing for many years, got my weight down where I wanted it but then it started creeping up. My husband and I both low-carb (though he's downright skinny, mostly follows this WOE because it's done wonders for his bloodwork).

We eat very well -- decided that maybe that's my problem -- love foods like lasagna (no carbs but probably thousands of calories), steak, carb-sense ice cream, etc., etc. I seldom cheat (perhaps every three months we get a (real) pizza, and sometimes I eat some fruit (apples, bananas), but I bet my carb count is higher than I can tolerate (especially since I've been reading about how some of the sugar alcohols aren't really 0-carb).

So I am on the third day of induction, plus I'm taking l-carnitine, will see if that helps! My weight was down 3 pounds this morning, and I'm in heavy ketosis -- but then, my weight had just ballooned up about 10 pounds (since the first of the year).....

We're looking forward to retirement (32 months to go!) -- have bought a lot in Venice, FL (will build when we get there) -- and I am so looking forward to long walks on the beach and water sports -- and for that I'll need to wear a bathing suit ... Right now there is no way that I can appear in public with one on -- when we go there for vacations, I wear long t-shirts over everything!

I am going to have breast-reduction surgery (can you imagine -- a 60 year-old woman with a bosom that's firm and situated the right place on her chest! whoopee!!!) in 3 weeks -- hopefully, that'll help, there will be so many new clothing options (like a blouse that buttons!) that I'm hoping will help keep me motivated to stick to induction level....

Guess I've rambled long enough!

Pat S.
Mon, Apr-12-04, 14:02
Hi I am 62 so I fit in there ;) I am struggling with my weight not gaining and losing a little but for me it is a slow process.
Pat S

BKM
Tue, Apr-20-04, 10:18
Hi All,

Well, I've been on induction level (+ l-carnitine, 3g) for the past 2 weeks -- and I'm down 6 pounds! Still not where I was earlier (i.e., before Christmas!) but feel good about this weight loss. Now my weight seems to be "bouncing" rather than going down, but I'll see what it is next week...

I imagine my BR surgery will affect my weight, though I'm not sure how -- so I plan to wait for a week or so afterwards and get a "solid" wieght number again, and go from there. I do plan to stay on induction level for a while yet -- ketosis is heavy, not much hunger, little sense of deprivation (my husband eats his "treats" out of my sight -- he's a real sweetheart!!).

How is everyone else coming along? Anyone undergone any surgery while following this WOE? Etc.? Etc.?

dustbunnie
Tue, May-04-04, 11:25
hello, my name is dustbunnie and i recently joined low cs, i am
65 so i fall in to yr categorie. it is hard not to fall of the wagon,
specially if u like sweets. but i am doing my best, i hope with
buddies help to lose about 45lbs. succes to u all.
dustbunnie :)

toofattoo
Thu, Jun-24-04, 06:48
HI dustbunnies, I too am 65 and I started May 22nd and to date I have lost 28 1/2 pounds. I feel great. Good luck to you. Visit my journal anythime. Peg

MeezerMom
Sun, Jul-04-04, 07:47
If you are between 60 and 70 like I am (65 actually) I would love to have you join me on this thread.

I initially lost 25 pounds on induction and a few weeks on the next phase of the Atkins. Then "I fell off the wagon" and went on a weeks long binge and regained 7 pounds.

I had to restart induction several times before I was finally able to stay on it long enough to get back into Ketosis. Now I am back down to 165 lbs (that is I lost 2 of the 5 lbs I regained) and my next minigoal is 160 pounds.

I have been unable to exercise due to having trouble with my right knee. It's been swollen & painful and had to be drained. I see an Orthopedist today to see what is going on.

Sorry for such a long introduction. Look forward to hearing from more 60's.

I didn't see this forum, or I would have posted on here before...I just turned 63, but feel 105 most days. I suffer with CFS & Thyroid disease & losing weight is so much more difficult than when I was young. I can't exercise right now, & that is hampering my plan immensly. My goal is 110 pounds & that is where I feel best, but at the rate that I am going, don't know if I will ever make it. I don't know how I let myself get 25 pounds overweight...I guess I like to eat too much & being a carb addict didn't help!
I hope that you get some help with your knee & it feels better soon.

Eve

dustbunnie
Tue, Jul-06-04, 13:41
hello eve,
welcome to our bunch of losers (weight that is) . it is an uphill battle, i am 65 and fell off the wagon also, but we have to keep on struggling. my name is gerry and i go by the name of dustbunnie. good luck drop me a note anytime. gerry :wave: