PDA

View Full Version : Beans and Phase 1

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

CakkyDoodl
Sun, Jan-18-04, 08:21
and milk and yogurt.

What do you think about them?

When I discovered SBD I was happy to see we can have beans, milk and yogurt, and can have many fruits and other carb foods in phase 2.

Then I get the book and find that the P1 sample menus RARELY include beans and the like. There is that edamame salad...

So, do you eat them? I guess I eat them about twice a day. If I start feeling yucky I go get some beans or a glass of milk and I feel better.

CakkyDoodl
Mon, Jan-19-04, 10:45
bump.... someone please answer ;)

vincenza28
Tue, Jan-20-04, 12:33
I ate lots of lentils and beans and still lost weight on SB.

Vivian

Judi B.
Tue, Jan-20-04, 12:41
I made some chicken soup and put in lima beans and have also added some black beans in my salad with dinner and had no problem.

Yogurt:
I just tried the Le Carb low carb yogurt. Good but expensive. made with splenda-4 oz has 4 carbs. considerably lower than other yogurts. I know we aren't supposed to count the carbs but this has a lower glycemic index that the others. I found this at Shoppers Food Warehouse.

I also got some low carb milk to add to my oatmeal and sf/ff instant pudding. Again, lowers the gi.
HTH
Judi

vincenza28
Tue, Jan-20-04, 12:53
Judi , I sf/ff pudding allowed in Phase 1.

Vivian

Boom
Tue, Jan-20-04, 14:33
Hummus and chick peas are both on the sample menus in P1

Remember, those are just samples, you can make your own combinations using the Acceptable foods list, and I know peanuts, almonds, green beans, and others were on that list. I will check it again tonite for more.

osuzana
Tue, Jan-20-04, 16:09
I don't have the list because I don't have the book yet, but i would really like to start. I've been doing Atkins and I know I need a change. Is there somewhere I can find the list of what I can have for the first 2 weeks? . I know you can join their online site and get info. there, so i've been thinking of doing it...but you have to sign up for a month or more (i'm not sure) and I want to be sure it's what I want to do before I sign up and pay the fee. Any info will be so appreciated. Osuz :)

dcbrowne
Tue, Jan-20-04, 17:42
Check out this updated phase 1 food list.

http://www.mizfrogspad.com/South%20Beach%20Diet/Ph1_Food_List.htm

Dont know if this will form a link, but you can copy and paste.

osuzana
Tue, Jan-20-04, 20:30
Thanks so much for the info. I did copy and paste.

CakkyDoodl
Tue, Jan-20-04, 20:39
I know they're just samples, and those foods are on the allowed list. It seems like there's an underlying message that those carb foods aren't really kosher after all. But as you said Boom, I had forgotten hummus is beans :) So that's another menu that does include beans.

You can buy a Prevention magazine with SBD basics for $4 at the grocery store, or you can find the food lists somewhere at www.prevention.com in their SBD message forum if you can plow through it enough to find the silly thing. It's a huge board with no subfora so it's hard to navigate. I'll see if I have it bookmarked, when I get home.

CakkyDoodl
Tue, Jan-20-04, 20:40
yay I found it

http://forums.prevention.com/thread.jsp?forum=40&thread=23694

Judi B.
Tue, Jan-20-04, 22:22
Thanks, Cathy! I'll see if I can find some other links too!
Judi