PDA

View Full Version : New Member - 23 yr old mom

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

NorasMom
Sat, Jan-17-04, 22:41
Hello everyone. I guess I will be short and to the point and just describe myself (as far as weight is concerned).

170/170/135

Basically I have been wanting to lose weight since my highschool years (I am 23 now), but never really lost anything worth of mentioning. During highschool my weight stayed around 160 (I am 5'6''). I was involved in sports, hoping that it would help me lose weight, but it didn't really. In college, my wieght was still about 160, but I gained 10 pounds over winter break one year. At my college graduation, I was 7 months pregnant, so of course I was gaining weight. My highest pregnancy weight was 204 pounds. I lost about 30 pounds rather quickly (2 or 3 weeks) as most of it was water weight, so now I was down to 175 ish.

Being a breastfeeding mom, I figured that I would kind of just drop the weight off....I dropped about 5 pounds. So now I am at 170, and I have remained 170 for the last 3 months (my daughter is almost 6 months old now).

I tried Atkins with my husband in late september, but I was uncomfortable with it because I was still breastfeeding, and there isn't really and research on ketosis and nursing mothers so I just figured better safe than sorry so I quit. But now that my daughter is on baby food now, I want to start Atkins again. I did drop down to 163 on my initial Atkins attempt in September.

So I did gain the weight back...but I am not sure whether it is because of my eating habits or because I am on the birth control shot. It is normal to gain 10 pounds or so while on the method of birth conrtol that I am on.

Anyways, one of my main motivators for losing weight is my daughter. I want to be able to take her to the beach or a water park next summer and I don't want to be worrying about how I look. All I want to do is have fun with her and my husband. I know I should really be doing this for myself, and only myself...but in a way, it is for myself and for her. And besides, I have a whole bunch of summer clothes that don't really fit anymore! They fit ok but are still uncomfortable, and I really look terrible in them.

I am also going to an indoor water park in less than 2 months! So I have a goal set for that time. I would like to be 155 by March 11th. I think I can do that.

Anyways, if anyone who reads this is about my age, weight, and height (23, 170, 5'6'') and also a mom, please pm me or whatever because it would be nice to have someone to keep me motivated who I can kind of compare to. we can help eachother!

Thanks for reading
NorasMom

Operaghost
Sat, Jan-17-04, 23:06
Welcome Norasmom, it sounds like you are on the right track and have the right frame of mind to meet your goals.

One suggestion I can think of is to set small goals too. My goals have always been the next five pounds. Also, don't get down on yourself if you miss a goal date. The goal is the "weight" not the "date".

It sure sound slike you know what you are doing on this plan and I wish you the best of luck!!

OG

danakins
Sun, Jan-18-04, 06:03
Welcome Norasmom! Sounds like you are in a good place mentally. I'm with OG on the mini-goals. My stats are very similar to yours (although I am 37) and I have set monthly goals in 10 pound chunks. I'm almost to my January goal and there are 13 days left in the month...so I know I'll get there.

You can do it!

Danakins

kittyford
Sun, Jan-18-04, 06:55
Hi norasmum
I'm a 26 year old irish female. I joined yesterday as well. I'm 170 at the moment..and my target is 136. I'm 5ft 6' as well..so maybe we could support each other. I've never been on atkins before but one of my friends is on it and she has already lost 26lbs!!.I always used to be about 140 but then when i left college and started working i put on weight and i have never managed to lose it. My new years resolution was to start running again..which I am doing twice a week.
kitty