PDA

View Full Version : Questions about weight loss and feeling cold

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

latuda
Sat, Jan-17-04, 12:42
I am hoping maybe someone can help me with this......

My hubby and I started this diet the same time. I have steadily been losing weight, which I realize part of it is water, and my hubby has not lost an ounce. He is being very devoted, but I know it is discouraging not to see the scale move in 12 days. He is 6'1" and 231 lbs. Any other time we have went on a diet he has lost weight super fast and I was the slow loser. We haven't been exercising yet and he is drinking a ton of water (I stink at drinking water, so he drinks way more that I do). He is a eating a few more calories then I am, as he should since he is bigger overall. I just don't know. He says he will stick with it another 2 weeks, but I'm thinking this diet just isn't going to work for him. Also, he has the weight in his stomach, where most of mine is in my butt and thighs. Does anyone have any ideas?

Also, since starting this I have been freezing! Especially in the evening. I cover up with a blanket and my hands and feet are still cold. Kind of wierd I think....

Thanks for any advise you can offer.

doreen T
Mon, Jan-19-04, 19:25
and my hubby has not lost an ounce. He is being very devoted, but I know it is discouraging not to see the scale move in 12 days. He is 6'1" and 231 lbs. Any other time we have went on a diet he has lost weight super fast and I was the slow loser. We haven't been exercising yet and he is drinking a ton of water (I stink at drinking water, so he drinks way more that I do). He is a eating a few more calories then I am, as he should since he is bigger overall. I just don't know. He says he will stick with it another 2 weeks, but I'm thinking this diet just isn't going to work for him. Also, he has the weight in his stomach, where most of mine is in my butt and thighs. Does anyone have any ideas?hi latuda,

Is your husband on any medications?? Some meds can interfere with weight loss, and some can raise insulin and blood sugar levels, which could work against his efforts. There's a possibility that he's eating too much .. or maybe eating too many carbs. In general folks don't need to count carb grams on South Beach, but for some people, especially those who are insulin resistant (and men with big bellies often are :() they need to keep an eye on the portion size of things like fruits, starches and grains due to their higher carb content and higher glycemic impact.
Also, since starting this I have been freezing! Especially in the evening. I cover up with a blanket and my hands and feet are still cold. Kind of wierd I think....

...(I stink at drinking water, ;) If you're not adequately hydrated, your body will have difficulty regulating your temperature, especially in the extremities. You need to drink more water :nono: Try adding a squeeze of fresh lemon or lime if you don't like it plain. Or make herbal teas, and have them fairly diluted. I do this, and I get to enjoy a hot drink and have extra water while I'm at it.

hth,

Doreen

tekgoddess
Wed, Jan-21-04, 04:02
OMG I have been soooo cold too. I stay covered up everywhere I go even when its like 60 outside. I have to admit though, I knew I wasnt drinking enough water. I am really really trying to only drink water now and a lot of it. I hope that is the cure.

Ohio Kim
Wed, Jan-21-04, 13:53
On the alternative side, I drink lots of water and am cold most of the time. I think some of it has to do with my body shedding some of that excess insulation and the fact that I am drinking cold water all the time is probably keeping my insides a little cooler. I am already drinking atleast 125 oz of water a day so I'm sure I'm not dehydrated.

Petey
Sun, Feb-01-04, 09:36
I thought i was the only person experiencing this "body freeze". I cant take it anymore. I drink 3 ltrs water per day and keep my thermosthat at 74 degrees and i'm shivering.....the whole winter. i cant even bear walking from my car to the house. so it is the diet?
i started atkins 8 months ago and switched to SBD yesterday and i'm still cold!