PDA

View Full Version : Starting over

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

gringo
Fri, Jan-09-04, 19:44
Hello out there,

Here I am the only gringo in a small village in the mountains of Jalisco, Mexico and doing Atkins, on and off that is. A place where dieting is unheard of, low carb products do not exist, 1/2 and 1/2 cream is thick as pudding, fruits are abundant and packed with flavor, and the vegies too. I successfully lost weight with low carb eating and successfully put 18 pounds back on, (twenty lost in all). Lost the weight in about 3 months and put back in less than 3 wks. So where frijoles are fried in lard, and tortillas are fresh ground and pressed right off the fire I am struggling to get back on track. I have a positive attitude every morning, "I'm going to do it today and stay on target". But things get stressful, I am a homeschool teacher for 3 kids 4, 5, and 15, I want to scream or cry at the same time. Thats usually when I go into denial and eat a bowl of beans, a quesadilla, pasta with cheese, doesn't matter what carb, any will do. Most days I can get through but then its the evening. After a full day I enjoy watching mexican soap operas, hanging with the kids and having somehting to eat. Our main meal is at 3pm, which I love doing at that hour. Then its time to eat again about 7-8:30pm, this is the time most of all when I slip. I start everyday telling myself I'm going to do it today and always fail. It just drives me nuts!!! I just want to get through the cravings for 2-3 days and then hope I can stick with it. Any ideas out there, help!! For my evening small meal sometimes I have chicken wings with celery and blue cheese, are the wings with skin and all good for low carb, and how many? Is an apple a day ok? Is it an absolute no no for doing induction? I love to have 1/2 apple with cheese for a snack, or is it best to stick with cantelope or watermelon?

Thanks for listening out there. I hope having this connection with others will get me started again.

Adios, Gringo

Lori H
Fri, Jan-09-04, 19:51
Hi and welcome! I would be in soooo much trouble if I was around all that mexican food. It is one of my very favorites. On the other hand, we all have to deal with temptation of some kind so you CAN do it! You will find lots of support here. For the first 2 weeks of Induction on Atkins fruit is not allowed. Have you read the book yet? Dr. Atkins New Diet Revolution is really helpful but if you don't have it go to atkins.com and read the section on Induction. Good luck!

gringo
Fri, Jan-09-04, 20:17
Hi Lori,

Thanks for your reply! I can feel so isolated here sometimes. I have read the book, thanks. You are right about the temptations, I have been able to turn the wonderful flavors of mexico in to low carb. Chili rellanos, fajitas are low carb foods, instead of rice and beans a pile of crisp lettuce and 1/2 an avocado is very satisfying. Your stats are very impressive, congrats! Pass on any good ideas, websites, on lowcarb snacks, I get tired of cold snacks like tuna roll ups etc.

Adios muchacha,
Gringo

Lori H
Fri, Jan-09-04, 20:35
Did ya check out the recipe section here? There are some real winners!