PDA

View Full Version : Custard - Tofu-Egg Custard .. (dairy-free)

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

doreen T
Fri, Aug-10-01, 21:29
I've been requested to post this here (it was hidden in my Journal .. :rolleyes: )

For the custard, don't bother using the block tofu that comes in a bucket of water ... it separates and goes watery with chilling. Use the silken tofu, in the tetra-pack. Actually, the lowfat-light type is LOWER in carbs than the full-fat version. One whole package of lowfat is 2.8 carbs, while the full-fat is 7.2! Go figure!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Tofu-Egg Custard

1 pkg Mori Nu light silken tofu, firm
4 eggs
1/2 cup bulk sweetener, or 12 packets, or 10 packets if mixing different types or stick yer finger in and taste to see when it's sweet enough for YOU ..
1 tsp pure vanilla extract
2 Tbsp melted butter
freshly grated nutmeg
additional soft butter for the baking dish
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

- preheat oven to 325F. Generously butter a casserole or custard dish, set aside. Make sure oven rack is in center, not down low.
- Blend everything but melted butter in food processor or blender, till smooth and creamy. Slowly drizzle in melted butter with motor running. Scrape down sides and blend a few seconds longer if necessary. Pour into buttered pan, dust the top with freshly grated nutmeg, and bake for 20 to 25 minutes or till just beginning to puff on the edges. It should still be soft and jiggly in the center, like me .. ;)
- cool to room temperature on rack, then cover and chill. When cold it has a dense, almost cheesecake-like texture.

- carbs -- 5.2 for the eggs & tofu (total) plus whatever sweetener you choose.
-1/2 cup splenda would add 12 carbs, ..
- 5 packets each splenda and sugartwin would add 7.5 carbs
- stevia adds zero carbs
- per 1/4 recipe serving, (with mixed sweetener) = 3.2 carbs, 12.5 gm protein.

Karen
Sat, Aug-11-01, 01:40
This reminds me that I had soya milk creme caramel at a tofu shop in Kyoto. My vegetarian sister and BIL almost lost their minds! I think they had 3 in total.

I will pass this on to them and they will be very happy! Thanks:D

Karen

poetree
Sat, Apr-19-03, 06:39
I can't wait to try this custard. I'm salivating just reading about it. Thanks for sharing!