PDA

View Full Version : Anyone else here doing this with their child?

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

jenniferpa
Fri, Aug-10-01, 18:49
Hi, I'm new to this low carb diet, but I fear this is going to be a long story. Although I would like to lose the extra 35lbs I'm carrying around (25 of which I put on in the last 6 months!) I'm really doing this for my 12 year old son, who, at 62" weighs 200 lbs (well actually 194 down 6 lbs since last week). Following a car accident and a diagnosis of Reflex Sympathetic Dystrophy he put on 40lbs in 4 months. Obviously even before this he was too heavy, but all my doctor suggested was a diet and more exercise. Now this was a child who, until his accident was constantly on the go, who ate a "healthy" diet, yet from the age of 7 consistently put on weight far in excess of what would be expected. Anyway from sheer bloody mindedness I finally managed to persuade my doctor to refer him to an endocrinologist. The first round of blood tests showed that he had high levels of insulin (although suprisingly acceptable HDL and LDL levels). We're currently waiting for the results of a glucose tolerance test plus free cortisol. The endo sent us to a dietician although I explained that I already had him on a reduced calorie diet, as due to constant ongoing pain from the RSD he was unable to walk, which was borne out by the diet diary. After being on a standard diabetic weight loss diet (1600 cal/day) for 3 months he was the same weight as when he started (although an inch taller).

At this point I was told to reduce his calorie intake further. Having done some (well, a lot) of research on the actions of insulin I realised that his neuropathy was almost certainly due to his high insulin levels, and that a diet that controlled his insulin might well help with his pain (which is being controlled with meds, but which tends to return with stress etc).

Since we started at the beginning of this week he's lost 6 pounds and I've lost 2 (hurrah).

Of course the feeling is that the insulin levels are due to the obesity, but I strongly feel that the insulin levels came first.

Anyway, sorry this is so long, but I'd really like to know if anyone here has done this with their child, or if you can suggest any resources.

Jay (and Corin)

Karen
Sat, Aug-11-01, 01:37
Welcome to the forum jennifer!

It sounds like you have done the research on the physiology of your son's problem. Kudo's to you! I don't think it matters which came first with the insulin question. The important thing is that you are doing something about it.

The Carbohydrate Addict people - the Heller's - have a book called Carbohydrate Addicted Kids.

http://www.carbohydrateaddicts.com/cabooks.html#top

In addition, I would read Protein Power for a different, though similar perspective. It's chock full of information.

Please keep posting and let us know how you are doing!

Karen

doreen T
Sat, Aug-11-01, 14:56
First, congrats on the lbs lost so far for both of you.

For your son, you're on the right track with pursuing carbohydrate restriction to control the insulin. Carb. Addicts may not be the best solution in this case. Yes, it helps to control insulin for those whose primary concern is addiction to carbs ... but it may be that your son needs to keep levels low and stable throughout the day, given his neuro-endocrine problems.

I will try to find more information about this, and will address it to your post in the Health Issues forum when I do. In the meantime, Karen's suggestion to look at another carb-restricted program is a good one. Spreading his carbs more evenly through the day may be better for him than having them all at once in a Reward Meal.

Doreen