PDA

View Full Version : Newbie Intro - and Two Questions

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

ldarnall
Thu, Jan-08-04, 17:52
Hello- great site. Am glad to be here. Sometimes there's so much information I have a hard time finding it - thus the questions.

I've been on Induction for a week and have lost 9 pounds so far. Getting back to working out has helped jump-start my weight loss, I think.

My questions (I hope I'm in the right forum):

#1 I like the carb counter -it's more expansive than the one in the Atkins book. However, it is in grams, which is not a unit I use when looking at vegetable portions. The Atkins website uses grams, too. How to I figure out what portions I can eat to keep under my limit?

#2 I am 41 yo woman and firefighter. I know I'm out of shape and overweight but don't really know by how much. My job requires a lot of strength. If I got down to the weight the charts say I should be I wouldn't have the muscle and bulk to even do my job. How do I know what weight I should set as my realistic goal?

Thanks for this website.

L Darnall

Ryan Evans
Thu, Jan-08-04, 18:52
Welcome!

To answer your first question, could you tell me what measurements you're using? I should be able to tell you how to convert from there...

As to your second question, setting your 'ultimate' goal is always a bit of a trick. I don't think you'll have to worry about going too low, the body is kind of protective about stuff like that. If you're really concerned though, you may wish to go by body fat % instead of weight. Most gyms will have hydrostatic testing from time to time that will give you an incredibly accurate reading of your bf%.

See you around,
~Ryan :)

Rosebud
Thu, Jan-08-04, 19:39
Hi there, and welcome!

If you mean the carb counter at the right of the screen, all you have to do is double click on the food to be able to change the units. ;)

Many of us here use www.fitday.com to count carbs. You have to join, but it's free. It gives you the number of calories and also expresses carbs, fat and protein calories as a percentage of the total, which can be very helpful. :)
It can be confusing at first, but this thread, Fitday.com How To's (http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=38343) offers many handy hints.

And yes, I agree, don't worry too much about any specific weight. You'll know when you feel and look good. :thup:

All the best to you!

:rose:Rosebud:rose: