PDA

View Full Version : Need to lose 226 pounds

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

rdesouza
Fri, Aug-10-01, 10:09
Hi everyone, I definetely need to lose 100+ pounds, actually 200+ pounds to be exact. I posted this in the introduction are and I copied and pasted it here so I did not have to type it again (LAZINESS) LOL

I started a low-carb diet on August 1, 2001 and at that time I weighed 376 pounds. I just weighed myself today (10 days later) and I cannot believe my eyes, I have already lost 13 pounds! You have to understand that I have been very overweight my whole life and I have tried just about every diet, diet pill and plan on the market. I have never been able to stick to any diet and if I do manage to stick it out for a week or so, I only lose a few pounds and then gain them right back again. I have the strongest appetite and cravings known to man (at least in my opinion.)

For the first time in my life I feel like I have control over my appetite! I decided to try the low-carb diet as a last ditch effort before resorting to gastric bypass surgery to lose weight. I figured since everyone says you can eat as much of the allowed foods as you want and still lose weight, that I would at least be able to satisfy my strong appetite and see what happens. The strangest thing is that after the first couple of days, I was no longer hungry! I didn't have to eat a lot to feel full. As a matter of fact, my husband had to remind me 2 days in a row that I forgot to eat lunch and dinner! This has never happened to me in my life. I swear it is almost like the diet is the strongest appetite suppressant in the world LOL.

I really think this is the answers to my prayers. y best friend lost over 250 pounds on the Atkin's diet so I know for a fact that it does work, I just was not sure if it would work for me or not and now I see that it does work. I am SOOOOOO excited right now. I am determined now more than ever in my life to lose the weight and I will be here every day to get encouraged and to encourage others.

If anyone out there has any tips for me, I would really appreciate them. I am eating about 20 grams of carbs a day and drinking a gallon of water a day. Getting a little bored with all of the chicken and hamburgers but I can live with it :-)

By the way, I have attached my picture so everyone can see my before look. By the way, I weighed 310 pounds in this picture (2 years ago) and I have gained over 50 pounds since then.

ChrstnHrpr
Fri, Aug-10-01, 14:06
Oh my, you are gorgeous! Everyone tells me the same thing but I dont see it! All I see is fat! I lost 58lbs so far! I have another 40 to go but I am over half way right? I currently weigh 166 but I still feel like I weigh 224! Keep up the good work, you look beautiful!

Lara
Fri, Aug-10-01, 16:45
Welcome aboard the lowcarb train! If you stop here every day for info and support you can definitely keep to the program. I've been visiting for two months and if I hadn't been able to get my daily fix of positive attitude and advice I probably wouldn't still be doing this. Anyway, everyone here is great and will help you in many ways. Keep visiting and drink your water! You will be successful! Cheers, Lara

cogin
Fri, Aug-10-01, 23:00
Hi! and Welcome. I read this forum most days (since Aug 2001) and I have found a great deal of support here as I KNOW you will too. The topics are interesting and the help is terrific.I too have a long journey to make and would like the support of a like traveller.
Have a good one!:)

Karen
Sat, Aug-11-01, 01:18
Welcome to the forum rdesouza!

Low carbing is one of the greatest things ever! You never stop learning and there is never a dull moment.

Getting a little bored with all of the chicken and hamburgers but I can live with it :-)

What about fish? Cheese? Pork? Lamb? Tofu? Rabbit? Other cuts of beef? This can be a really interesting way of eating. You never have to be even close to bored! :D

Karen

MsBryana
Wed, Oct-03-01, 01:30
I wanted just to add my two cents ... and encouragement... for all those who have to lose (or are in-progress of losing) 100 lbs or more. I'm in the same boat.

First off -- I never gave up. Sometimes I'd lose like gangbusters, sometimes I'd stall, sometimes I'd cheat and gain... but throughout, I felt I was having some sort of forward momentum.

Exercise (just plain ol' walking) helps take the edge off my hunger... and it took me a LONG time to feel energetic enough to move. When I was +350#, my feet hurt, my knees creaked, I'd be winded walking up a flight of stairs in my own house. If I had to carry something while going up or down, that would definitely be my undoing for the moment. Huff puff!!
Still, I got comfortable shoes... and even if it meant trying to walk 2 blocks with the dogs, I knew I had to do a little something just to start. It made a big difference (to me), once weight started coming off and I was able to move more.

I was fortunate -- for someone who was morbidly obese. I did not have any real co-morbidities. My blood pressure was normal, I did not have diabetes, I did not suffer with sleep apnea, I did not have cardiovascular problems. My back would hurt like hell, however. I felt tired all the time. Sometimes I would suffer from stress incontinence when coughing or sneezing ... but these problems disappeared as the pounds (grudgingly) came off.

I fret almost daily. It always feels like I am NOT losing...
I have extended plateaus, and wrestle with my patience and resolve. Sometimes I have cravings that are so strong, it is painful... other times, I'm free as a bird, and feel light in heart and spirit. I keep a chart of my weight. I weigh myself once a week, at most, and record it on a calendar. When I feel down, I flip through the pages of that calendar, and feel buoyed when I can see my progress. When I am on a plateau, I weigh myself less often.

Before I start babbling, I want to get to the point ... which is giving each of you a cyber hug and warm thoughts for your success.

Bryana

Ka3n
Wed, Oct-03-01, 21:33
MsBryana

And a big cyber husg to you, too! :bhug:
Your story is inspiring!

firespirit
Wed, Oct-10-01, 00:01
Thanks for sharing your beginning. You just keep on, and check out some of the recipes available for variey. I, too, get "bored" with meat--because when I'm not LCing it, I am mainly a vegetarian. But I've found that there are alot of good recipes out there--alot of them on this site.

I used to tell everyone I must be "big-boned"--what a joke, I'm 5 ft 4 in and my hands are so small I have to wear childrens gloves (or those new little stretchy ones). It was really an eyeopener to have to admit to myself how much I should lose to really "fit" the rest of my body. So here I am, another member of the triple digit club :confused: :rolleyes: :)

I'm glad you are here, keep on keepin' on :roll:

2much2g1
Fri, May-02-03, 07:50
I am new to all of this and have between 170-200 pounds to lose.I am struggling but not giving up.This is the best WOE I have ever experienced.
And one I know I can live with for the rest of my life.
You are obviously beautyful(your pic proves that) and strong( the fact that you have taken controle of your life and decided to LC!),so you have alot going for you.Keep on going and be proud of what you are doing!!!!! :thup: :cheer:

sonshine38
Sat, May-03-03, 04:24
Shania Twain, hope you think shes pretty because this is meant as a compliment :). Anywho, welcome to a great board, a super source of information and support. Im in awe of the people that have come here and especially those that keep going, some against all odds. Your committment reflects your strength and Im so happy you decided to try this Way of Eating/Way of Life instead of surgery. If you find yourself getting bored, I did too, search for and try out some new recipes, I keep a notebook at the computer full of them. You probably will be amazed too that coming here regularly you get ideas about foods you may not even had thought you could have. God Bless, keep of the great work. You have something to be excited about, your doing great!

liz175
Sat, May-03-03, 08:15
Welcome,

I think a lot of us in the Triple Digits Club came to this as our last resort before gastric bypass surgery and were amazed to find that it actually worked. After being hungry continuously, I was shocked to find myself not wanting to eat between meals. I don't understand why doctors caution us against low carbing and then recommend gastric bypass surgery which is so invasive and dangerous.

I don't have much to add to what has already been said. I share much of Bryana's experience -- some people lose very quickly on Atkins while for others, it takes longer. Patience and trust is the key.

Good luck to you. Please start a journal if you haven't done so already, so we can stop in and chat with you.

Chloë Mae
Sat, May-03-03, 09:30
Welcome to TDC.

I was facing weight loss surgery (WLS). My dr. seemed to have no other alternative. When I told him I was going to do Atkins, he approved and ordered a lipid profile for me to follow. He was encouraged for me. Maybe we just have to take a stand with the medical field.

Like when I got fed up with my thyroid stats always being low and researching the various thyroid hormones. I settled on natural Armour with T3/T4, then had to find a dr. who would prescribe it. Can you believe!!! Finally went to an endo. and he prescribed it immediately. My stats are almost normal for the first time in 20 years.

I can truthfully say that this WOE keeps me from being hungry or starving. I did WW for years, always having cravings and binges.

We have a long road ahead of us, but I am encouraged by this forum every day. It has become my lifeline.