PDA

View Full Version : Any Low Carbers from No.Virginia??

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Judi B.
Fri, Aug-10-01, 07:52
I would love to communicate with any lowcarbers in the Alexandria/No. Va area. Local lo carb shopping etc.
Judi B.:p

doreen T
Sat, Aug-11-01, 09:19
I'm not in Viriginia :( .. but maybe someone from your area will read your post in the US forum, in the Local Lowcarbers section. I'll move it there for you.

We have local lowcarb shopping pages, where members can submit the names/addresses of shops and restaurants that carry foods and items of interest for lowcarbers. I'm not sure if there are any entries yet for your area, but you'll see that it's International .. regions round the globe ... UK, Australia & NZ, as well as US and Canada. Feel free to post any stores that YOU find.

There are two ways to find the local shopping pages - click on Shopping from the red menu bar at the top. Then, down the left column you'll find the link to Local shopping

click on Tools on the red menu bar, and look for International Low-Carb Yellow Pages All the best,

Doreen

TF19310
Tue, Nov-20-01, 15:57
Hi Judi B. I'm from Northern VA too! Small World! I purchase Atkins Strawberry Supreme shakes from The Vitamin Shoppe. There is one in Tysons Corner - they give discounts. This shake is delicious when poured into a blender with crushed ice. Good Luck and hope to talk to you again soon!

Judi B.
Tue, Nov-20-01, 18:05
I was wondering about those shakes, your idea sounds great. Gotta try it. I wonder if there's a Vitamin Shoppe near Alexandria (where I live). I'll have to check it out. Let me know if you ever run across low carb bread in our area, I hate paying high shipping costs and would rather purchase it locally.
By the way, welcome to this forum. There are sooooo many knowledgable people here and they are sooooo helpful.
Good luck with your lo carbing!!!
Happy Thanksgiving,
Judi :wave:

c_aveni
Wed, Dec-05-01, 19:42
Hi! You might want to check the Maryland thread - a couple of people from Northern Virginia have responded there.

Good Luck,

Chris (native of Northern VA! - born and raised)

klaus74
Wed, Dec-12-01, 13:12
<<<Alexandria VA... whooooo hoooooooo

aztova
Sun, Dec-16-01, 21:48
Hey!

I just moved to Alexandria. I started going low-carb yesterday to help me deal with the move here and the weight gained with it.

I'm open to ideas, too. I'll take all of the support I can get/give.

klaus74
Mon, Dec-17-01, 06:51
Welcome!!! The biggest tips to start with is.. read the books!!! there is alot of little information that people seem to leave out when starting low-carb.... This web site and tons of the people here are ALOT of help.. Feel free to ask me.. of anyone here any questions... (once you get over the first "shock" (your system and mind) of low-carbing.. it really isnt all that bad... I havent felt better!)

aztova
Mon, Dec-17-01, 07:03
Thanks. I'll start reading the book today!

kengib
Fri, Dec-21-01, 13:28
Greetings from suburban Maryland.

I buy a good deal of my Atkins mix and shakes from the local GNC store and have taken out a gold club membership to receive the 20% discount the first week of each month.

I also buy from the Atkins Center website. I buy the flour and other items from low carb specialty shops on the internet.

The local supermarkets like Giants, SafeWay, Super Fresh all have some Atkins product and all now carry Splenda. I buy stevia from either the GNC store or Trader Joe's.

Low Carb bars can be purchased from Sams Club or Costco in boxes of 12 for about $15 [I think that is what I last paid]. they are a 2 gram-carb/bar. They have more chocolate than I prefer in a food bar but have about the same carb content as the Atkins Bar.

My wife does a good deal of baking now with the Atkins Mix and we have found many recipes of low carb breakfast items. We have found Flax meal at the local health food market.

If there is a product you are looking for just ask. I may have seen it or may have found my own supplier.

Oh, I love chocolate bars for desert but can not find any sugar free bars around so import the brand of Ross Chocolates from the state of Washington. They often have a 2 for 1 special so if chocolate is your thing get on their email list.

ken from Maryland

aztova
Fri, Dec-21-01, 14:35
Hey!

Tell me more. What is stevia? What kind of baking mix are you talking about? Just moved here from tiny town in Arizona and am not familiar with either of these things as very little was available in the one grocery store in town. :-)

Any other tips? I'm doing okay on this new WOE and am so excited about how wonderful it is not to be starving! Almost one week down and doing okay. Even headed to Baltimore tonight to catch a movie with friends. :) Brrr.......

Chris1966
Sat, Mar-23-02, 12:37
I moved over to here from the United Kingdom and it is much easier to follow the rules here than there - apart from the bacon and eggs :)

I'm making my way with this, but have found Fresh Fields, particulalrly and happily for me in Clarendon/Courthouse to be a blessing.

Good going to one and all,

Chris.