PDA

View Full Version : Big problems with induction

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

hehebee
Mon, Jan-05-04, 08:09
My husband and I just started on the Atkins diet. I lasted a total of 2.5 days. I woke up on the 3rd day feeling AWFUL. I was unsteady on my feet and had absolutely NO energy. I ate an Atkins approved breakfast hoping I would feel better after I ate something but I felt worse. Not only did I almost faint (started blacking out but sat down and it passes) but I also felt very nauseated. I went back to bed and slept for 3 hours. I thought maybe I was getting the flu. Had a salad and cheese and water for lunch but still felt awful. Later in the afternoon, I gave in and ate a bagel with butter and a half glass of orange juice. Within 10 minutes I felt so much better. Now I know it wasn't the flu but my eating.

Any suggestions?

As it stands right now, hubby and I are planning on still eating lower carb diet but not doing the Atkins. Have other people had similar issues? Do most people on this forum follow Atkins strictly or just work on eating less carbs?

Thanks from a newbie.

:rolleyes:

Meggen
Mon, Jan-05-04, 08:16
Lot of people follow different plans, I'd suggest taking a look at Which low-carb plan is right for me? (http://www.lowcarb.ca/atkins-diet-and-low-carb-plans/index.html) See if another beside atkins seems to fit you better.
There are so many different plans out there, but it's good to see even with the bad day your still ready for a new healthier way of life. :Party: Congratulations on a new healthier you. :Party:

rrmalns
Mon, Jan-05-04, 08:37
There are several low carb plans out, maybe you should try another. I feel the same as you when I have started induction during the first few days. You just have to stick it out, and KNOW you will feel better within a couple days. Good LUck!
Renee

chrisr
Mon, Jan-05-04, 10:12
I'm on day 4 of induction and had (still have) similar symptoms that you described. I also have awful tension headaches and am overall very irritable. It feels like I'm in the 5 o clock traffic jam all the time.

It's gotten better the last day, but it still sucks. I drank tons of water. I have a 1 liter bottle w/ me all the time and I refilled it 4 times just last night. Everytime I get a craving, I chug a bottle.

Karen
Mon, Jan-05-04, 10:30
Feeling really bad for a day or two in the first week of following a low-carb diet is quite normal. It's carb withdrawal that you're going through. Your body is wondereing where the carbs went and will want you to eat them. The important thing is not to, and get through Induction cleanly to break the cycle. If you live through it, you're rewarded with an incredible burst of energy that you won't believe! :)

It's also the point where your body switches from carb to fat burning to fat burning and we all like that!

Karen

hehebee
Mon, Jan-05-04, 10:44
Thanks for all the encouragement. I figured it was some kind of reaction to the sharp carb intake. Would it be best for me to cut back a lot for awhile (without going to the 20 grams/day just yet) and then when my body is used to that, try it again? I know I was a junk food junkie based on years and years of being able to eat whatever I wanted to without gaining any weight. People always warned me that things would change once I hit the big 4-0 and it sure has. I'm not really overweight but I sure would like it if my jeans fit like they used to!

Thanks again for the advice.

nikkil
Mon, Jan-05-04, 10:51
I've heard of people (and it's in DANDR) that gradually lower their carbs until the get to the Induction level. Sounds like you had a pretty drastic reaction to the lack of carbs. I say, go ahead and lower daily until you get to the 20g, slowing the drop if you need to. Drink loads of water and try to at least stick to better carbs as you lower (no sugar and refined/simple carbs).

Good luck to you!

Nicole

Kestrel
Mon, Jan-05-04, 15:06
You might want to read Life Without Bread, by Dr. Lutz. He's advocated low carb since the early 60's, and suggests that people lower gradually to his proposed level of carbs per day (approx 72grams per day). He particularly recommends lowering gradually the older you are, and if ill.

Francy
Tue, Jan-06-04, 00:38
Hey, I guess I was lucky I started when I had the flu! I didn't even notice & probably put it down to the brochitis, sinus, and prescrip. pills - HA.
Seriously, I did feel great after 1 week even, espec. when I saw the lbs. dropping off!
Hang in there, you will feel great soon!

hehebee
Tue, Jan-06-04, 07:14
Thanks again for all the encouragement. I was feeling like a failure but now I feel MUCH better. I realize that as long as I am reaching my goals of eating better and losing a little weight, I am on the right track. I am still drastically cutting my carbs but not sticking strictly to Atkins induction rules. I have a small serving of oatmeal for breakfast but other than that I'm pretty much within the rules. I can't believe how much better I feel :) !

I've lost about 3 pounds and I have a lot more energy. It's not such a chore getting up in the morning now and I don't feel like I'm dragging at work. Cheese for a snack is now just as satisfying as my usual candy or chips. I do miss my daily bananas but I'm also really surprised at how I am able to control my cravings. I REALLY wanted some ice cream for dessert the last 2 nights but I had my sugar free jello with whipped cream and it was REALLY good!

Thanks again,
hehe