PDA

View Full Version : Hello from Australia

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

ozzie_girl
Thu, Jan-01-04, 01:48
Hi Everyone,
I've just joined after reading this almosy ALL day! Sooo much information here! What a treat ..and sugar-free too :) !

My partner, 18 yo daughter and I have all just started on the Low Carb WOL 2 days ago. Apart from NYE it's going well! I did Atkins for 1 week many years ago and lost 7 lbs. Unfortunately it went right back on again as soon as I went off it which, of course, is to be expected!

Everyone's having bread/pasta withdrawals but we'll get over it!

Interesting eating cream and using butter again after all these years of low fat diets - doing the yo-yo weight loss dance. In fact, after overcoming my ingrained reluctance, I'm saying ..wow....what have I been missing all these years!

My daughter alternates between saying "I love this diet" to "I miss my 2 minute noodles"! I know which is healthier!!!!!!!!!!

My partner's just a rock of support and is enjoying it too. He knows it's good for his health!!!

Looking forward to talking to you and getting into this wonderful lowcarb world, learning/exchanging experiences and recipes.

Cheers
ozzie_girl
PS Anyone got any great lowcarb snack ideas for hungry girls(my daughter of course ;) )

Xena2005
Thu, Jan-01-04, 02:08
Hi there Ozzie_Girl! I am from Oz as well. Vic country. This site is great isn't it? I've been low-carbing since November and although had some trouble sticking intially to it and over-eating over Xmas, I am back on this WOL since Saturday and have lost 5kg! I am determined to do this.

Glad to see there is another Aussie here!

Rosebud
Thu, Jan-01-04, 02:08
G'day to another Aussie girl! :wave:

Glad you've joined us. Have you seen our Aussie/NZ subforum yet? You'll find plenty of local info there. Here's the link: http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=43

And you'll find plenty of snack ideas if you go to our Kitchen forums and see "Quick Meals and Snacks." :)

All the best to you, matey.

:rose:Rosebud:rose:

ozzie_girl
Thu, Jan-01-04, 08:18
Thanks for your welcomes Xena and Rosebud!

Xena-did you really mean 5 kilos since Sat??? 5 lbs would've been impressive!!! I'm originally from Melbourne but have lived in Sydney now for yonks!!

Have had a look at the Aus sub-forum Rosebud. Did I miss something as there weren't many posts there. Checked out some of the links there. Would be good to find out about products specific to Australia that we can get...I should prob. be posting this there!!!

Must admit I'm getting confused as different places give different foods different carb values! Take artichokes for example....one list said they were low yet another says they're quite high which is upsetting as I don't know who to believe and I do love them!!!

Also white cheeses. There are 2 totally different listing for cottage cheese on the carb counter link off the Aus sub-forum there!

Haven't had a chance to check out the kitchen for snacks yet...tomorrow!!!

Thanks for your help
Cheers
Ozzie_girl

Xena2005
Thu, Jan-01-04, 16:37
Hi Ozzie-Girl - yes I did mean 5 kilos since Saturday. Awesome hey. I am pschyed! Weighed this morning - stayed the same - but that's okay.

Australia has there own low carb products trading as Empower Foods. Bread mixes, cakes and biscuit mixes, pastas and cereals. But I wouldn't go for any of them until OWL as apparently they can cause stalls. I'd stick with the natural foods until them. But it is up to you. Empower Foods can be bought at health food stores. GNC are selling some Atkins products but GNC is very expensive.

In regards to carb-carbs I just go by whats on the product label.

Anyhow good luck with everything. I don't frequent the Aussie sub-forum as there is not much usually happening there. I think everyone is here!