PDA

View Full Version : Cauliflower blini

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

RCFletcher
Wed, Dec-31-03, 11:37
This recipe was inspired by a type of Russian pancake made from cooked vegetable marrow. I was faced with a pan of leftover mashed cauliflower today so:

12oz cauliflower mash
2oz soya protein isolate powder (soya flour would do).
3 medium eggs
1 oz cream
salt and pepper to taste

All ingredients were combined to make a sort of paste. Dollops of this about 1/2 an inch thick were fried on both sides in a hot frying pan with a little oil until they turned brown. The original recipe would be served with sour cream or as a sweet with jam on them. We ate them with cold chicken and home made s/f coleslaw.

The above quantities are just what I had you can adjust according to what you have. I had tried the original recipe too. Sorry, I don't know what a 'vegetable marrow' is in American.

Enjoy!

saponaria
Mon, Jan-30-06, 12:57
That is interesting. I have never had blini made with vegetable marrow. It was made always more like a crepe almost, very thin pancakes. We ate them often with chopped boiled eggs, chopped green onions, sourcream and smoked salmon. Mmmm

LadyBelle
Mon, Jan-30-06, 20:34
I don't know what a 'vegetable marrow' is in American.

I don't think we have them over here. They are a large, green squash related to the zucchini, but I don't know if I've ever seen one. Mind I live in wyoming where produce is sparce. Larger cities may have ethnic stores with a much wider range. Cougrettes or zucchini could possibly be used in place of the marrow in the origional recipie