PDA

View Full Version : I am new here

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

hulrich
Sat, Dec-27-03, 00:41
I have struggled for quite some time now and I am Lactose intolerent and also can't eat pasta or wheat. They make my stomach upset and I bloat. I will try hard to follow the low carb plan and stay away from these foods. It will help my heart disease and diabetes.

eric909
Sat, Dec-27-03, 01:28
Hi and welcome to the forum http://users.adelphia.net/~ecountz/welcome.gif

AFwife
Sat, Dec-27-03, 04:08
Can't have milk in this diet so being Lactose intolerant just might help ya. As well as not being able to have pasta or wheat.

Welcome to the forum, lots of support here and great, friendly folks willing to give their 2 cents.

Take care,

Lily:)

hulrich
Sat, Dec-27-03, 09:10
I can basically eat meat and some vegetables. All pastas are out of the question. I can't eat egss either, because they make me bloat and cause stomach problems. Bannnanas cause constipation. I do love chicken. Would a baked potato hurt me much? Need to stick to this, I want to lose the belly.

AFwife
Sat, Dec-27-03, 09:28
Um Hulrich, have you read the Atkins book? :idea: You might want to go get it. If you don't have it you can read about how to do Induction at www.atkinscenter.com
till you get book. You can't have a baked potato during Induction so YES IT WILL HURT YOU! Can't have bananas :nono: now either so that takes care of you being constipated. You love chicken great, you can have that, maybe cook it in olive oil or some kind of fat. Steak with broccoli for breakfast or lunch is great too. A few olives for a snack so you don't catch yourself sneaking in forbidden foods will help too.

I strongly suggest you do your research so you know what you are allowed to eat and not eat.

Good luck,

Lily.........you may want to start a journal too and post what your meals are on a daily bases, that way we can all help you find your dents and get them fixed right away. :)

hulrich
Sat, Dec-27-03, 09:55
I can't eat broccoli either. A lot of foods are gassy and I have learned what not to eat. Thank god I can eat all the meat I want to. I can eat green beans. Also salmon and tunas. I quit eating pasta because it really makes me BLOAT, so I avoid it. I will read the Atkins book and go from there. Thanks. I'd love to get under 280.

AFwife
Sat, Dec-27-03, 11:35
I'm confident that you will lose your weight and reach goal. Just read the book and follow it strictly. Alot of us use Fitday to keep track of how much fat we eat and calories. Just go to www.fitday.com - it's free. It's a great help to keep you from going over those 20grams.

Good luck,

Lily :)

hulrich
Sun, Dec-28-03, 11:34
I went to the store and bought lots of chicken and steak. I can get pretty full and this and I don't need the carbs. What other side dish would you suggest I put with my meat? I love eggs, but they cause me to bloat and get costipated. Thanks.

AFwife
Sun, Dec-28-03, 12:59
There are plenty of things you can have with steak and chicken darling. I enjoy chicken with broccoli even steak and broccoli. I usually eat steak and eggs for breakfast though. Lunch is usually some kind of meat with broccoli or lettuce with an avocado perhaps. Dinner consist of steaks as well or maybe a pot roast with deviled eggs and green beans. So many different combo's you can use. Maybe you can have eggs just once a week if they don't do you good. You can make them deviled or scrambled or sunny side up maybe an omelette.. You have to have at least 20 grams of carbs daily if this is gonna work hon. You get your carbs from your veggie's as well as in cheese. You can have cheddar, mozzarrella, cream cheese, swiss and a couple of others. You can have 3-4 oz daily of cheese. And 8-12 oz daily in veggie's like, lettuce, celery, cucumber, alfalfa sprouts along with others like cabbage, okra, tomato's, etc.... You can find many Induction menu's at the website, www.atkinscenter.com.

And don't forget there is more to protein than just steak and chicken, like tuna, salmon, turkey, lobster, crabmeat, bacon, ham, veal, etc... Be careful with the processed meats such as ham and bacon and salami and hot dogs though cause they are cured with added sugar and will contribute to carbs. This doesn't mean you can have it just count your carbs carefully.

Your going to be successful, you'll see.

Good luck and hang in there.

Feel free to stop by my joural anytime for meal ideas. Or just to chat. Take care,

AFwife
Wed, Dec-31-03, 05:57
Hey, you don't have a journal yet so I thought I post here, I'm sure you'll get this.

Hope your doing good. Take care of that heart hon.
Keep up with your water and soon you'll go shock that doctor of yours. Your gonna do great. :yay:

:Party: Have a safe and Happy New Year. :Party:

Hugs,

hulrich
Wed, Dec-31-03, 18:41
I bought a Bowflex and intend to use it and watch what I eat and you'll see, I'll get there. A/F, what part of England do you live? I have a sister-in-law from there.

LilaCotton
Wed, Dec-31-03, 22:28
Hulrich, I highly recommend reading through the book before starting out on this trek--it makes it so much easier! Also, the Atkins site is truly helpful with their list of allowed foods.

You might also find that you will be able to eat a lot of the foods that previously bloated you. My husband could never eat cabbage--it gave him horrid painful bloat. We eat cabbage now about three times a week with no problem. I was constantly bloated before starting Atkins--now only when I eat too many pork skins. ;) I also have a sister who started Atkins two weeks after I did. She had a real problem with a lot of foods like you mention--and again, problems gone on an LC lifestyle. :)

I wouldn't recommend going gung-ho on foods you've had problems with (or allergies), but try a little bit of something once you get to eating LC and see if you notice a difference.

AFwife
Thu, Jan-01-04, 03:58
HI Hulrich,

Hope you had a good New Years day. We are stationed at RAF Mildenhall in England.

A bowflex huh, your gonna do great!

Keep up the good work.

hulrich
Thu, Jan-01-04, 16:15
You mean if I go low carb, I could maybe eat the foods that have I have avoided? I love broccoli, but that and cabbage always gave me GAS and I bloated. For sure, pasta is out of the question. I am wheat and soy and lactose intolerent. Thanks for all the ideas and suggestions.

LilaCotton
Sat, Jan-03-04, 01:02
Yes, Hulrich, I'm saying it's possible that with a low-carb diet, you MAY again be able to eat your beloved broccoli. :) From what I've read, the majority of our gas problems comes from carbohydrates (bread, pastas, etc.) fermenting in our bodies. If that's the case, it would stand to reason why my husband can now eat cabbage like it's going out of style whereas before, it gassed him to the point of bothering his heart.

I know I certainly have waaaayyyy less gas eating this way. :)

And yes, I would still avoid milk and milk products if you're lactose intolerant, as well as anything with wheat if that causes you problems.

Edited to say: My hubby also had a lot of problems with milk before Atkins. Now he drinks about 1 cup of Carb Countdown (a low-carb milk product) almost every day with no problems. Makes me wonder if that was somehow related to his previous high-carb diet, too.