PDA

View Full Version : Swedish Nuts

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

LadyBelle
Mon, Dec-22-03, 22:13
My SO's mother made these while we were over for the holidays. Of course her's weren't sugar free, and I ate more then I should of. I decided when I got home I would make a sugar free version. A granual sweetner such as granular splenda is needed, but the recipe will work without. Just no where near as good. There is also the thick and thin for sugar thickner which could add the texture of sugar. I'm not sure if that involves the same carby fillers as splenda or not.

Changes from origional recipe include adding the cream of tartar, using butter instead of margerine and sweetner instead of sugar.

Sweedish Nuts

4 cups nuts*
3 egg whites
1/4 tsp Cream of Tartar
Sweetner to equal 1 cup sugar
1/2 cup butter

Preheat oven to 325. Spread nuts on a cookie sheet and roast in oven for 5-10 minutes.

In a clean bowl beat egg whites until soft peaks form. Add sweetner and cream of tartar and whip until stiff peaks form. Slowly blend in warm nuts with meringue.

Melt butter in cookie sheet. Spread nut mixture over. Cook for 30 minutes making sure to stir every 10 minutes. This will make for even coating and prevent burning.

When made right these are a wonderful treat. Like candied nuts.

*The origional recipe calls for Walnuts. My SO's mother used a mix of walnuts, pecans and almonds. I enjoyed the pecan part, so made my SF version with just them. Experiment with different nuts.

Peachagirl
Sat, Jan-03-04, 20:55
Hi!
I was going to post this recipe--it is delicious (I almost feel like I'm cheating!)! These are so good, it would be easy to overeat them, so I put 1/2 cup serving sizes into individual sandwich bags. I munch on one bag throughout the day--just when I want a taste of something sweet, like with my tea. I count 4 grams of carbs for each 1/2 cup serving. My husband likes to keep some bags in the car to munch while traveling (old habits die hard!)
--Peach

LadyBelle
Mon, Nov-06-06, 19:49
I Got a sevear craving after having some butter pecan icecream, so I decided to make some more of these tonight. It's also one of those fun things that the kids can help out with in small parts (not with anything hot of course, but with holding mixer and measuring ect) so they enjoy baking time as well.

Ok also I titled this Sweedish nuts, and the title as it appears in forum and search is Swedish nuts? :P