PDA

View Full Version : Sausage Balls

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

rrmalns
Thu, Dec-11-03, 19:17
I found a recipe for sausage balls after doing a search on this website. It was delicious. 1/2 c Atkins bake mix, 1c cheese, 1lb sausage. The only thing I added was about 1/4 c Carb countdown milk to mix easier. It was SOOOOOO
delicious. Next time I think Ill add an xtra 1/4c bake mix to the recipe.

Idabelle
Thu, Dec-11-03, 22:58
I will try these for supper tomorrow. Thanks for the idea!!!!!!!

w82bthin
Thu, Dec-11-03, 23:02
OMG... my family has been making those for New Years day since I was a little girl. (except with bisquick) I was gonna come on here and ask if anyone knew a lc way to make them...thanks so much.

rrmalns
Fri, Dec-12-03, 05:54
I made a batch for myself and a batch for the family with bisquick. My mom does these every year on New Years eve as an appetizer. I guess I though of the recipe when I realized New Years Eve was just around the corner.

bardbear
Fri, Dec-12-03, 08:30
Another option besides the bisquik is ground pork rinds. I modified our family recipe and ended up with

2 pounds sausage
2/3 cup ground pork rinds
1/2 onion, finely chopped
3 gloves garlic, finely chopped
4 cups cheese

baked at 325 for about 10 minutes

I like the balls smaller, so I ended up with 80+ balls.. made great breakfasts and snacks for a week.

Idabelle
Sun, Dec-14-03, 19:54
I did make the sausage meatball recipe. I am filing it under "my wonderful recipe" list. They made me feel full for hours!! I will enjoy them tomorrow too. Thanks again!!
I think my grandkids will like them too.

bcgant
Tue, Dec-16-03, 23:22
These are excellent. I have made these several times over the past year. I think you are right on with the 3/4 cup. I actually used to use a full cup, but cut it back to 3/4 and have been very happy with it.

I will also tell you that this batter can work very well as a "breading". Just pound it out fairly thin and wrap it around chicken, peppers, or whatever sounds good. You can even coat it in egg and roll in crushed pork rinds for a crisper feel (I actually use shake n' bake instead of pork rinds, but this does add a few extra carbs).

SnowymtnRN
Wed, Dec-17-03, 00:39
MMMMM this sounds good. So why add more bake mix? is it a texture thing or does it mean it helps it stick together better? I can't wait to make these for Christmas!!

rrmalns
Wed, Dec-17-03, 15:28
The bake mix tends to give it more of the Bisquick flavor and the sausage and cheese doesnt drown out the mix.