PDA

View Full Version : Colcannon (Low Carb Version)

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Demi
Tue, Dec-09-03, 03:43
Colcannon

Serves 4 – ECC 5g carbs per serving

This is based on the Irish recipe for Colcannon, which was originally a version of mash potatoes served in a fluffy pile with a well in the centre filled with melted butter.

Colcannon was just about one of the only things I missed from my pre-low carbing days. It was a tradition in our household to serve Colcannon with left-over turkey on Boxing Day, and we would often have it as an accompaniment to a crock-pot casserole.

After a bit of experimentation, this is my low carb version, and I can honestly say that I think that this is even better than the original version with potatoes :)

1lb/450g cauliflower
4oz/125g Savoy cabbage
4 spring onions
2oz/50g cream cheese
Butter
A couple of pinches of grated nutmeg

Put the cauliflower (whole or divided into florets) in a saucepan, pour over boiling water, cover and then simmer until tender. In the meantime finely chop the savoy cabbage and spring onions – the best way to do this is in a food processor. Then, lightly saute the cabbage and onions in butter for several minutes. Return to the food processor, along with the cooked cauliflower, adding the cream cheese and nutmeg, and then mix thoroughly. Lightly butter an oven-proof dish and then put in the mixture. At this stage you can add some grated cheese on top. Place in a pre-heated oven (200º C/400º F/Gas 6) for 15 minutes. Serve with a pat of butter on top:yum:

If you don’t use a food processor, make sure that the cabbage and spring onions are finely chopped, and the cauliflower is mashed almost to a puree.

med234
Tue, Dec-09-03, 08:54
Hi Demi, and thanks for the visit this morning!

I see you are a dawson's creek fan! We used to watch it regularly in spain (dubbed in spanish), but then when we came back to england I couldn''t stand dawson's whiny voice, and always appreciated the episodes about other characters. Having said that, haven't seen it for ages. I don't watch much TV, mostly just terrestrial at meal-times ('Charmed' is my favourite), though since I've been off sick, I've been watching captain picard every day at 5pm, without fail!

Thanks for the colcannon recipe - I've printed it out. I'd followed your link to Delia's recipe in an earlier post, but it is so nice of you to have done the LC conversion for us!

Sunny here too now, though it took half of the morning to appear. I guess you can see fields from your house ... I can only see houses, but there are fields just around the corner.

Have a good afternoon, and keep stretching and jiggling that neck!
med
http://www.click-smilies.de/sammlung0903/natur/nature-smiley-016.gif

cwfgirl
Tue, Dec-09-03, 09:16
This looks very tasty!!! Adding it to the rib menu for dinner tonight!