PDA

View Full Version : KFC-style Cole Slaw

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

filmlass23
Sun, Dec-07-03, 19:13
This is the best low-carb cole slaw I've had...

VEGGIES:
*7.5 - 8 cups of shredded cabbage & carrots (I use the prepackaged stuff from the produce section)

DRESSING:
*1/3 cup Splenda
*1/2 tsp salt
*1/8 tsp white pepper
*1/2 cup half and half (or 1/4 cup half & half and 1/4 cup heavy cream)
*1/2 cup mayo
*1 1/2 tbsp white vinegar
*2 1/2 tbsp lemon juice

Combine all dressing ingredents in bowl and whisk together until smooth. Add cabbage/carrots and mix well. Refrigerate for minimum of 2 hrs before serving.

When made with 1/2 cup of Half & Half, 1 cup servings = approx. 4 net carbs.

tigger70
Wed, Aug-11-04, 06:43
I made this last night and it is wonderful. Even my dh loved it. Thanks for sharing the recipe. Beth

Miss Model
Fri, Aug-20-04, 17:35
I thought carrots were higher in carbs... so I always have stayed away from them. Are you sure of the carb content total? Thanks!

bevbme
Fri, Aug-20-04, 18:48
lazy cooks variation:
Bagged cabbage mix, jalepeno pepper ranch dressing & white vinegar.
Let it sit to mix the taste . Tangy & good.
Carrot content in the mix is minimal don't sweat it.

PaminNY
Sat, Aug-28-04, 16:13
This cole slaw is delicious .. I've been making it all summer and everyone loves it!

missymagoo
Wed, Dec-07-05, 07:45
i finally got to make this. so yummy! sue

missymagoo
Mon, Dec-19-05, 01:08
i did make this again and it is still yummy. going to eat the rest monday for my dinner. i broke the recipe in half to make half of this recipe. really good. sue

missymagoo
Mon, Dec-19-05, 01:09
i forgot to make it with the lemon juice. i need to do that the next time. sue

LiveWell
Tue, Jan-17-06, 20:46
First time Ive ever made coleslaw - turned out WONDERFUL and sooooo easy! Thanks!

dearmommy
Tue, Jan-17-06, 21:33
thanks this sounds great.

maree00
Mon, Aug-07-06, 04:04
Does this keep well? I want to make it today for tomorrow night with crockpot ribs. How is it the next day or should it be eaten the same day? Thanks much :help:

PaminNY
Mon, Aug-07-06, 05:25
It will still be good maree

deb34
Tue, Aug-08-06, 10:40
the longer it marinates the better it gets. I would use within about 4 days though... enjoy!

Amanda1978
Tue, Oct-17-06, 13:28
I made this and it was wonderful. Thanks!

Amanda1978
Tue, Jul-03-07, 20:24
Every time I make this for parties I end up having to print the recipe off for at least 2 or 3 people. I think from now on I'll just bring pre-printed recipe cards. :yum:

CaseyZee
Fri, Oct-15-10, 10:07
I wanted to bump this up because I cannot tell you how good it is with a grilled brat and stir-fried peppers and onions. So delicious.

I make it fairly regularly and I use
1/2 cup mayo, 1/2 cup cream
1/8 tsp white pepper, dash salt
1.5T distilled white vinegar
9 packets splenda
The juice of 2 lemons
Pack of coleslaw from the pre-washed salad area

I just made some for dinner tonight. All the non-LCers rave about it too.

deb34
Fri, Oct-15-10, 10:40
It's even better with broccoli slaw mix in a bag. It stays crisp for a couple of days in the fridge and doesn't get soggy, and I like the taste better too.

like this:
http://www.mannpacking.com/img/cole.jpg

DishyFishy
Thu, Jun-02-11, 15:48
Great coleslaw!

I followed the recipe with two exceptions: I used ¼ C of double cream (without the extra half-and-half) and I cut the Splenda to 3 packets.

So good!

kaarren
Wed, Nov-23-11, 18:55
This sounds so good. I love that kind of creamy slaw!

Tue, Jun-19-12, 11:08
made this for fathers day weekend. man! it was sooo good. i tore that stuff up. i used heavy cream instead of half/half. i'm on my way back to the store 'cause i want to make some more. i also tried it with fresh shrimp in the mix. :yum: :yum: :yum:

Amanda1978
Thu, Jun-21-12, 06:49
This is the only recipe I've used for years. I always use HWC only and reduce the amount of sweetener. I make huge batches of it when I go away to visit family or camping. That way I know I always have a side dish to go lunch and dinner, or I just eat it on it's own. I need to make a huge batch because everybody else loves it too and wouldn't be too pleased if I kept it all to myself. When camping I just put it into a large good quality ziploc bag and put in the cooler. It saves space by keeping it in a ziploc bag.

patriciakr
Thu, Jun-21-12, 07:00
My husband raves over my recipe for this, you might like it too :)

Shredded cabbage (I buy pre-shredded angel hair cut cabbage)
celery seed
black pepper
sugar and salt free Maruchan brand rice wine vinegar
mayo

I mix the vinegar and mayo first (how much depends on your taste and how much cabbage you are using) - so it smells not too tart (I don't taste while making this), add a good amount of celery seed, the black pepper..mix all together well.
Add in cabbage, mix to coat. Refrigerate. Give this at least an hour or two to let the flavors meld. Even better the next day.

Thu, Jun-21-12, 20:32
I mix the vinegar and mayo first (how much depends on your taste and how much cabbage you are using) - so it smells not too tart (I don't taste while making this), add a good amount of celery seed, the black pepper..mix all together well.
Add in cabbage, mix to coat. Refrigerate. Give this at least an hour or two to let the flavors meld. Even better the next day.

hey! i used rice vingar too. it was the only thing i had in the house. so that's what i used.

i have already been through another large bowl of this and i added a lot of fresh shrimp to it too to make it more of a meal.

well, now i have one last package of cabbage and i'm trying to hold off a few days before making it since i've been eating it like crazy, plus this time i want to add some fresh slices of jicama which i don't currently have so gotta go shoppping. my next version will have fresh sliced jicama and shrimp. dang...and all this time i didn't even think i liked coleslaw. :lol: :yum: :lol:

it's the perfect summer salad. :sunny:

msdbobby
Sat, Jun-23-12, 15:02
I've always liked this recipe but never thought of adding shrimp & jicama.

Thanks for the great idea. Adding that to today's shopping list. Yum, perfect for a light dinner. It's too hot to cook!

Tue, Aug-07-12, 00:44
i've been eating this coleslaw with shrimp & jimica all summer like crazy. i just love it and it's such a great go to meal when i'm in a rush and there's a big chilled bowl just waiting in the frige.

Merpig
Wed, Jun-07-17, 15:46
So go make some coleslaw people! I make my own cole slaw, but one reason is that everyone makes cole slaw too danged SWEET. Sweetness ruins it for me. I'd never make this particular recipe because Splenda (or current sweetener of choice).

But I do make cole slaw that has no sweeteners at all in it, and everyone loves it who has tried it. Time to make it again!

LebenRedux
Sun, Feb-25-18, 08:54
This is the best low-carb cole slaw I've had...

VEGGIES:
*7.5 - 8 cups of shredded cabbage & carrots (I use the prepackaged stuff from the produce section)

DRESSING:
*1/3 cup Splenda
*1/2 tsp salt
*1/8 tsp white pepper
*1/2 cup half and half (or 1/4 cup half & half and 1/4 cup heavy cream)
*1/2 cup mayo
*1 1/2 tbsp white vinegar
*2 1/2 tbsp lemon juice

Combine all dressing ingredents in bowl and whisk together until smooth. Add cabbage/carrots and mix well. Refrigerate for minimum of 2 hrs before serving.

When made with 1/2 cup of Half & Half, 1 cup servings = approx. 4 net carbs.

Would love to try this recipe but cannot use Splenda. Would no calorie Truvia work as well?

doreen T
Sun, Feb-25-18, 09:19
Would love to try this recipe but cannot use Splenda. Would no calorie Truvia work as well?
Yes, it should work just fine :thup:. However, I would adjust the amount of sweetener "to taste" ... you might find you need less truvia than the amount of splenda called for.

By the way, I have made similar recipe using sour cream instead of half & half (reduce vinegar & lemon juice to 1 Tbsp each), with very good result :idea:

LebenRedux
Sun, Feb-25-18, 11:49
Yes, it should work just fine :thup:. However, I would adjust the amount of sweetener "to taste" ... you might find you need less truvia than the amount of splenda called for.

By the way, I have made similar recipe using sour cream instead of half & half (reduce vinegar & lemon juice to 1 Tbsp each), with very good result :idea:

Oh yum! I'll try it both ways! Thx, doreen!

deb34
Wed, May-13-20, 10:38
Making this with sour cream will be brilliant! I don't like mayo anymore, so a little sour cream sounds just right!

This should be called 'Goldilocks Coleslaw' because it's so adaptable to anyone's taste.

thud123
Wed, May-13-20, 11:33
Using sour cream totally works Deb. I've been doing it this was since I ditch vegetable oil Mayo - Might even be better :)

deb34
Wed, May-13-20, 11:37
Using sour cream totally works Deb. I've been doing it this was since I ditch vegetable oil Mayo - Might even be better :)

Thanks for the confirmation! I have everything on my weekly isolation grocery list now! Can't wait for the weekend to make this again!