PDA

View Full Version : Lc Highschool Survivor Tips!

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

NovaGirl
Sun, Nov-30-03, 22:18
My biggest problem is LCing at school.
We have 2 options:
1.) Pack Our Lunches
2.) Buy our lunches.

My tips are pretty simple and can keep our appetites at bay all during the day, and we wont have to carry around a Lunch Box.

I dont know how it is at your school, but at mine, we carry around our back packs. We're allowed to chew gum, and have food/drinks in class. Anywho, these are my tips:

I carry around baggies of easy to eat foods:
nuts (just plain, shelled walnuts: carbs 3g) Almonds are good too!
Pork Rinds (some call them craklins, carbs 0g. Fiber 0g.) you can also get them in different flavors, so look at the back to make sure.

And for lunch, so i dont have to lug around somthing big...
The tuna in a pouch (if tuna is your thing, if not, they sell canned chicken, and If I'm not mistaken, i think i saw some chicken and ham in a pouch. Look and see what you can find, the grocerystore has endless possiblities) I grab a pack of mayo, buy a bottle of water and snatch some pickles and eat that stuff up.

ANY MORE TIPS?!?! We CAN SHARE AND LEARN! hah! What do u guys do in school? :wiggle:

Rosebud
Sun, Nov-30-03, 22:27
just plain, shelled walnuts: carbs 3g. Fiber 3g. So that means No carbs. Woo.
Sorry, NovaGirl, but no nuts are carb free. If the label says carbs 3g and fibre 3g, that just means that the manufacturer has already subtracted the fibre, giving an original total of 6g carbs. It's annoying and confusing when they do that, I know. ;)
You can check with the carb counter here at the right side of the screen.

Having said that, nuts of any kind are still a great LC snack. :thup: And your other suggestions are excellent too. :)

Cheers.

:rose:Rosebud:rose:

NovaGirl
Sun, Nov-30-03, 22:52
OMG! THANK YOU!! haha..! :blush:

bluesfan88
Fri, Dec-05-03, 16:48
i have the same probelm at my school. we can either bring lunch or buy . And as you probuly know the food that they sell is really high in carbs and would not really fill you. But what I do is I but a salad sometimes and then on mondays they sell chicken caesar salad and so I buy . but other then that I bring my lunch every day . we took have to lug around our bags but I think it is not as bad as buying that aful food at school that is high in carbs and other not good stuff.

Dollygrrl
Sat, Dec-06-03, 14:13
I have to carry around all my books and stuff all day too, wish I had a locker! I carry my food in an insulated soft lunchbox w/an icepack. things I like to bring:

packaged 1oz cheese sticks
salami slices
cut up beef or chicken in a tuperware container
sf jello cups

when I'm not on induction, I also like half-sandwiches w/low carb bread, homemade lc bran muffins, and nuts of course. I LOVE walnuts!

thanks for mentioning those tuna lunch kit things, I'd never though of those. :thup:

NovaGirl
Sat, Dec-06-03, 14:28
another good thing to take are pepperoni's if they're your thing. I have so many books, i cant fit a lunch box into my backpack, but i take a frozen waterbottle and that keeps things that need to be, cool. I stuff a lil sandwich baggie n2 the front pocket of my backpack and that works pretty good too.
ah, yeah. I buy salads too.:wave: The only thing i dont like about them is all the carrots they put in there. lol. Theyre little shrivlets, too, so i cant just take them out..:nono: they're not too bad though. Theyre usually loaded with turkey, ham and cheese, along with lots of good veggies. The only thing that really bothers me is any attention to the way I eat. Im sure by now its noticable that I dont eat fries and burgers and bread anymore. lol ah well :wiggle:
What do you guys do at your friend's houses? I dunno about you guys, but the one friend I normally spend the night at is not the structured "lets all sit down and eat dinner family" it's usually, "hey lets pop this pizza in the microwave" or hey, lets fry some chicken patties" when we're hungry. I dont know how to deal with that. As Of now, Im grounded from going anywhere (grades, D in english), but I'm dreading going over there after i get ungrounded cause i dont know what im gonna eat. Any Suggestions?!
-Whit

bluesfan88
Mon, Dec-08-03, 17:03
hello. The one friend that I hang out with and spend the night at her house thinks i am really strange for not eating bread , fries, buns etc. I am kind of lucky because her family goes out to dinner alot so when i eat with them I eat a salad. :yay: Or if i was at her house and they were having pizza then i might eat one peice. AS i see it every once in awhile you can have a treat but then you will just have to know the next day you will have to excersise it off or eat less carbs. I know this is not really how I should be working trying to lose weight. I am only going to be 15 year old teenager once , so if i cheat every so often for a special event then I will be fine( like going to a friends house , sporting game etc.)hope my idea might work for you or give you an idea about what you should do while out of your house. :agree:

NovaGirl
Tue, Dec-09-03, 17:21
yeah that does help. and when you think about it, you gotta think: If I want to lose weight , and keep it off, I have to make a life change. and you, nor I can realistically say that we'll NEVER have another slice of pizza, or piece of cake or hamburger and fries.. So when i go to my friends house, im gonna eat like she does, but I'll remember that i cant do it alot. :nono: and have to lower my carbs the next day. But, i mean, Ive got my whole life ahead of me to look "good" and whats 1 day of eating junk every once in a while? :roll:
-Whit

Imsaved
Wed, Dec-10-03, 18:03
OK at school i don't know what to eat for luch because i cant aford salads and stuff- my school is ridiculous with prices and if i bring anything cold even with an ice pak it gets warm and tastes like crap. any suggestions?

NovaGirl
Thu, Dec-11-03, 20:02
Hmm. Youre in a pickle :exclm:. Well, I know one thing you can take, is tuna. It comes in pouches now, so all you have to do is open it. No draining and it doesnt require refridgeration. And, I know you can probebly get mayo or mustard from a line. If tuna isnt your thing.. hmm.. bring some nuts and pork rinds :yay: . Are you using a lunch box? if not, invest in one. it'll be your best friend :thup: . Are you in access to a microwave? if you are, take some of those ready made bacon strips and have that. I always get a salad at lunch and before I started getting salads, i didnt eat during school.. (that was a mistake.. dont do that! :nono: )

bluesfan88
Fri, Dec-12-03, 22:07
well Imsaved , I can help you a little .NovaGirl had some good ideas.
now for me i am almost vegiterian so don't eat the meat . but if you like salads you can bring lettuce with the dressing on the side then put it on at lunch . putting some chicken or other type of meat would be good too. Also nuts or cheese are a great snack or side . I make these breadsticks that are made from these low carb rolls, with some kind of topping to it . They are really good . and are great warm . I hope this works a little for you. It is really hard to find things to bring that you can eat warm.

NovaGirl
Sun, Dec-14-03, 08:33
Hey Bluesfan.. where do you get those LC rolls? I wanna try. :wave:

WendyLynn
Sun, Dec-14-03, 11:25
Hi NovaGirl. Bluesfan gets her o'so lo rolls from www.thebetterhealthstore.com for $2.34 (us) per box. Each box has 4 rolls each with about 3-4 net carbs. Many health food stores carry this brand so you might be able to purchase them locally.

NovaGirl
Sun, Dec-14-03, 12:34
Thanks! :wave:

bluesfan88
Sun, Dec-14-03, 19:17
if you were wondering who wendy lynn was it is my mom .but o so low makes the rolls in original, sour dough , cinnamin, and many others. they have them in the regular size rolls and in the long rolls like subway.anyhow I eat them all the time because they are GGGGGGGGGGGGGGGOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOODDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDD!!!!!!!!!!!!!! if you have any other questions about them i could probuly answer them for you.

NovaGirl
Tue, Dec-16-03, 16:11
Yeah they sound good. how big are they?

bluesfan88
Thu, Dec-18-03, 15:34
soory for my late reply .school has been terrible lately. They look like a regular hamburger bun. and the long ones look like one of those 6 inch sanwhich rolls that oyu can get at subway. or they look they are as big as a hot dog bun .

NovaGirl
Thu, Dec-18-03, 17:06
cool. ill get my mom and dad to look into them. do they make you stall or anything? yeah, school here has been bad too. Im ready to get out! sigh.

bluesfan88
Sun, Dec-21-03, 07:46
There are no sugar alcohols ( which stall me ) and i have not found the rolls to stall me . but i only eat one a day.
when do you get out of school for break?

alienxg7
Thu, Feb-26-04, 00:34
Hi!

We are allowed to go outside at lunch so we can go to restaurants, etc. there isn't really a limit to where we can go, it's just you have to be back in time before the end of lunch so you are not late for your next class. I went to SubWay the other day and had their low carb wrap. That was convenient. Unfortunately, there are a lot of cafes right near school and you know cafes, they have a ton of high carb foods so sometimes it makes it difficult not to cheat! :)

-Patrick

bluesfan88
Fri, Mar-05-04, 17:34
that sounds fun to be able to go out to lunch . my school only the seniors get a out to lunch day every like quarter or something . but my cafe. usually has really good food. what did you think of the subway wraps ?

alienxg7
Fri, Mar-05-04, 20:30
I thought they were pretty good. The tortillas taste like La Tortilla Factory tortillas (they could very well be these) and it would be great if they had another tortilla option (there are better tasting but slightly higher carb tortillas out there now). But it is convenient to have a low carb choice at SubWay!

bluesfan88
Sat, Mar-06-04, 11:42
yeah that is what i think. i love the wraps . my family always is going there and i now have something to eat when i go there . i love the turkey bacon melt wrap with out the bacon .

FrecklFluf
Sat, Mar-06-04, 11:50
I haven't been a high school student for about 14 years (it happens quickly, guys—don't blink), but I have to say that it completely STINKS that some of you have to carry your books around all day. That "sling your backpack over one shoulder" thing is so bad for your neck and back.

I do have a snack/lunch tip for you: individually wrapped string cheese. Oh, and I think pecans are lower carb even than walnuts, but don't quote me on that.