PDA

View Full Version : Perfect Pumpkin Pie with Crust - Thanksgiving & Holidays

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

bvtaylor
Fri, Nov-28-03, 15:57
I'm a recipe hacker, so I hacked up a couple of recipes to come up with something easy and traditional that you can cook at the same time the turkey is cooking. The crust was superb if you like a shortbread-melting taste in your piecrust. The filling was NOT runny because I increased the eggs and decreased the cream. :yum:

CRUST
1/2 cup almond flour (finely ground almonds - Bob's Red Mill)
1 cup CarbSense zero carb bake mix
1 stick melted butter
1/4 cup water
14 cup Splenda

FILLING
1 tsp cinnamon
3/4 - 1 tsp ginger
1/4 - 1 tsp cloves
1/4 tsp salt
3 large eggs
1/2 cup heavy cream
3/4 cup Splenda
1 14-16 oz can of pureed pumpkin (or 1/2 a 29 oz double-can)

Melt the butter in the microwave until it turns to liquid. Then mix the butter, along with the other crust ingredients all together and work the dough into a ball. Then press into a 9" (glass) pie pan. You can bake under the turkey at 325 degrees, if you have room for a bottom rack, for about 15-20 minutes or so until it is slightly golden.

Mix the filling ingredients all together until smooth and pour into the crust. Bake for about 40 minutes or until filling is set (again you can bake under the turkey). Crust will be a golden brown.

brobin
Sat, Nov-29-03, 19:19
I assume that is a quarter of a cup of splenda in the crust. :)

brobin

bvtaylor
Sun, Nov-30-03, 18:34
Yes 1/4 cup, unless you have a real sweet tooth!!