PDA

View Full Version : LC and breastfeeding, slow loss

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

nattymshe
Mon, Nov-24-03, 07:32
Help, I've been doing Atkins now for 6 weeks and lost 10lbs the first 2 weeks and haven't lost any more this month. This is very discourageing. I do feel better not as bloated and popping out of my jeans but come on, I've been in Ketosis as well and still am not losing. The only thing I can think to blame it on is that I am breastfeeding my daughter so my hormone levels are making it more diffucult to shed the weight. And I'm pretty sure I'm getting more than the recomended caloric intake for a breastfeeding mother. My daughter is 18 months old so I'm not her only source of nutrition, she nurses probably 6 times a day mostly when she is sleepy or wants to cuddle, so do you all think it still is because I'm nursing. Please help me. What else can it be, if I've been in Ketosis this whole time. Thanks for all your help, Sarah

amyp
Tue, Nov-25-03, 08:33
I'm not sure what it is. I know your body hangs on to a little fat while nursing, this is just how Nature made us. I just want to say, please don't stop nursing because of this! This time with your little one is special and way more important than weight loss.
Are you working-out at all? Maybe adding walking would help, and its an activity you can do with your dd in a stroller.

nattymshe
Tue, Nov-25-03, 09:17
Thanks for your thaughts, to ease your mind I would never even put a thought into weaning my daughter because of a diet or for any reason. My views on breastfeeding go way beyond my body image. And my body isn't holding onto just a little fat so I don't think that is the reason. I do need to pick up the pace with the whole excersising thing though. I don't know I'll just have to wait and see what happens, since my DD probably won't wean herself for a few more years she's only 18 months old, I'll just have to wait till then maybe and shed some weight befor I get pregnant again.

Thanks for any help Sarah

JeannieF
Thu, Nov-27-03, 06:38
I have a very difficult time losing weight when I'm breastfeeding. I think it is a hormone thing. These people that just drop tons of weight while breast feeding drive me crazy! I've never had that kind of luck. I'm breastfeeding now and the weight loss is very slow.

Best of luck to both of us!!!

Jeannie

nattymshe
Sat, Nov-29-03, 16:38
Thanks for your words of encouragement. I haven't been excersising so I guess I should start doing that and maybe it will come off. Thanks again, Sarah